Sign in to follow this  
eurotrash

MOC: Octan Travel Agent/Cupcake Shop

Octan Travel Agent/Cupcake Shop

My economically depressed Lego city is continuing its long walk into dereliction and abandonment. But there are the occasional signs of life! In one corner of the city some fool one has decided to use the old Octan Travel Agency and turn the ground floor into a Cupcake shop.

The facade has the real feel of an aircraft's fuselage and comes complete with two fluffy white clouds*. The Travel Agency hasn't been in use since the 1990s and you may notice the entrance door high up on the second floor.

14830129303_ae0fc1f93c_c.jpg

But the previous owners did leave the Airport Stairs behind. Again, though this is dilapidated and neglected.

14807168631_274d62c6f5_c.jpg

Here's the interior of the Cupcake shop. (Mostly liberated from a Friends Cafe set)

14623762277_1cb428de00_c.jpg

14807928824_75f6de2bd2_c.jpg

One final shot of the Airport Stairs.

14807206641_03d6fb1e85_c.jpg

Oh, and I posted an early version of the Travel Agents on my LUGS Facebook page to get suggestions and feedback. I received ideas ranging from adding a short stubby wing and adding a sun. But my favorite comment was from one member suggested that I create a sticker with "Every Wing is Awesome". Now that's the perfect slogan for Octan Travel!

Comments, criticism, ridicule most welcome!

*I was going to embed The Orb's "Fluffy White Cloud". I might still do.

Edited by eurotrash

Well, it really doesn't look like all that long of a walk into dereliction and abandonment. However, great work....as usual. Make sure you have the usual slug sitting in the cupcake shop for hours on end using their free wireless. You know, the 38 year old man who lives in his parents basement and plays in dozens of fantasy sports leagues or the single forever woman with thick glasses and forty cats in her apartment.

I like the irony of Travellers using leached wifi to book their next adventure online in the shadow of a failed brick and mortar Travel Agent.

But the one thing my Lego town fears most is Hipsters and their attempts at gentrification. And where's there's expensive cupcakes then Hipsters can't be too far behind..... my Lego town is doomed.

This is a change of pace from your usual buildings. I like how the truck holding the airport stairs is falling apart.

AWESOME 'eurotrash', cute little cake shop but those airport mobile stairs being used as stairs into a travel agents office is the work of a genius ! :grin:

Now that Octan mob really need to tone themselves down a bit eh ? :laugh: (they are into everything :laugh: )

Brick On 'eurotrash' ! :grin:

Love the clever sign and the derelict stairs.

I really like the whole building. Very clever build of the part of the airplane with clouds around.

The stairs are awesome and nice touch with the broken pickup. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

(sorry for the late post)

I love the broke down stair truck. It almost makes me think that it should be the Bluth travel agency.

Great Clouds! And I agree that a minifig needs to be perched in the cupcake shop sucking down the free WiFi. Great work as usual.

I'm late to the party but i just found this through your more recent post. I just wanted to say i think it's a great idea and realization! I'm especially fan of the clouds on the facade. Also i love the little story behind your building!

Too bad the travel agent's truck broke down. If running I could imagine that the stairs truck is the travel agent's only transportation around town and that the agency is only open when the truck is there. Sure beats an open- closed sign!

But pure genius!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Hahaha! Can't decide what I like best, but the Airstream trailer is first class! Had one of those parked in my driveway for a full year before selling it because I could not figure how to attach it to the station wagon it came with. At least I got what I paid for it!!!

The broken stair truck brings back fond memories of my job cleaning out airplanes in Alaska during a uni summer. Back then they did not have many fork lifts, so we had to load cases of pop and whatever was needed by hand and foot up those )IY%$#@#%*&)+(&%# stairs at least a hundred times a day. The really fun part of the job was the day my coworker forget to connect the garden hose to the water tank, and the passengers had no early morning coffee between Fairbanks and Anchorage. Glad I was not on that plane!

The busted, down and out town concept seems to be a real hit! It looks like much of America these days. Pretty darn ugly, but so true. We have the Wal-Marts, Home Depots, and Lowe's all over to thank for putting hundreds of thousands of small businesses out of business. And now it seems that all those stores sell is pure junk, except for a few LEGO. Is this progress or what? Anyway you have captured whatever it is quite well....way to go!