Endgame

Heroica RPG - Quest #105: Eternal Reaper

Boomingham frowns. "If it's the Regret trying to drum up some sympathy again I swear to Ennoc or Hel or whoever I'll rip him in half. He's done what he's done."

Boomingham frowns. "If it's the Regret trying to drum up some sympathy again I swear to Ennoc or Hel or whoever I'll rip him in half. He's done what he's done."

"I don't think it's him. If it was, we'd of known by now." Karie looks on at the curious spirit, not sure what to say.

q4hMX9L.png

"No, no... The Regret is, for lack of a better word... Well, erased. I don't even think he's in the aferlife... Chances are, after all the things he did to warp his soul, he's just... gone."

"Hey Erdy," Boomingham sighs. "Hope you're off to better places. I did what I thought was right by you with your body. And I'll bring this back to the Hall," Boomingham lifts the medal. "Something for folks to remember you by, I suppose."

"Aye, the Regret's dead," Mortimer mutters. He crosses his arms, unable to glance at her spirit, an apology forming on his lips but unable to escape into the air.

"You didn't die in vain," he manages. "You're... a true hero."

"Um, yeah, cool and all that Erdy's spirit is fine and all, but what's this chain you're talking about?" Karie was suddenly worried about what was coming up next.

"Oh, I guess it doesn't matter, you've already killed him, anything I thought I knew has already occurred. I'm just glad to see everyone survived. I only have a few moments left before I go, but I want to thank you all. Each and everyone of you, you took down the Regret, something I've spent the last 2 years of my life focused on doing. Killing him makes my life complete, though I didn't kill him myself, I believe I can now live the rest of my spirit life in peace, and the nightmares that have plagued me for these past years are gone, no longer does he have power over me, I am truly free at last. And before I go, I just want to tell you, you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And you know what? So was I."

"Be at peace" Jeaux says to Erdathcath's spirit. He glances around the room at the destruction wrought by the fight with the Regret, looking to see if any part of the life spark or animutilav still remain.

GM Note: It has been a week since Endgame last posted. This is the second time he has disappeared without a word. I know he has had trouble with his personal life with the accident and all that, but this is getting a bit ridiculous.

If you guys want to have this quest ended, I can do it for you.

OoC: I have one more thing I'd like to RP. Endgame is in on this, and Kinto can back me up. :thumbup:

Boomingham glances around, and sees that the danger is truly over. Erdy's body has been burned to coals. The oozing monsters, the oculoids and their masters, float aimlessly or are gone (who knows yet!). There will be no more battles with the Regret. He's gone.

"I still have something to finish up," says Boomingham. "I'm happy I helped that beasty out of this world, but that's not why I was here. Stealer, you know that I'd come for you one day. You committed grave sins. The same sins as the Regret. You took away people's selves, erased them. A fate worse than murder. I won't stand for it. It's time." Boomingham draws his Darksteel Sword. Before anyone can react Barty shoots up a few feet above the Stealer and Boomingham's head and creates a protective barrier. The party watches as the two men square off. Masson hesitantly draws his sword.

Z5wDC5Z.png

"Boomingham..." he pleads, but it's too late. Boomingham shows off one of his rare bursts of speed. It is easy, sometimes, to forget that Boomingham once led an army and must have fought tooth and nail years of his life, but every once in a while that old glimmer returns. Boomingham flies at the younger man, knocking his sword aside and dealing a nasty blow above the brow. Blood gushes forward and covers Masson's view. He swings wildly at his retreating foe, but Barty swoops down and deflects the blow.

Now Boomingham tosses his Darksteel blade into the snow. He draws Scupperer.

"This battle is over already," growls Boomingham, and dodges forward once more, knocking open a gash on Masson's arm that starts to fester. Boomingham takes up a defensive position as the poison spreads through Masson's body. Boomingham's sword moves to meet most of the blows, and though Masson damages him once or twice, Barty is able to heal the wounds swiftly. Eventually the poison does its work. Masson staggers to his knees, and Boomingham towers over him, sword in hand.

"Karie!" yells Boomingham. "Watch closely." And then, he turns to the Stealer. "I have done the same to a petty criminal. Your crimes are much greater..." Boomingham glances over at Karie's stomach, "but... but... ah, what the Hels." Boomingham brings his sword down hard...

...and severs Masson's sword arm. The same arm he once held his dastardly device in. Boomingham swiftly heals the stump. "Don't make me regret it, chap. Onwards and upwards. I just gave you your life. Don't make a waste of it."

And the magical barrier drops. Boomingham turns to his party. "If you can't stand me, nows the time to say it. We've got a long boat trip ahead of us, I'd hate for it to be awkward."

Mortimer frowns slightly, but keeps silent, glancing between his two friends. Enough blood had been shed. He was glad Boomingham chose not to spill more, but he was worried for the ex-Stealer.

OoC: I think it's in our best interest to just finish this quest. If there is something important that happens, Endgame can probably sum it up when he gets back.

GM Note: I updated your inventories with the quest reward and Erdathcath's items, but I don't think you were supposed to be given the stuff that the NPCs carried (unless you loaned some to them, of course). You can do the sorting out yourselves, all of your inventories look like a hot mess right now. :tongue:

Endgame can wrap this quest up properly when/if he gets back, but you are all free to return to the Hall now.

THE QUEST IS SUCCESSFUL!

The Party:

BoominghamMock2.jpg Lord Lawrence Boomingham, a True Hero (Zepher)Level 33.5 Paladin *Immune to Darkness-, Fire-elemental; Immune to Fragile, Sleep, Weakened, and Blindness*

Power: 52

Power Bonus: 5

Defense: 10 (8)

Health: 56/56

Ether: 31/31

Gold: 1335

Equipment: Scupperer (WP: 14; Darkness-, Fire-elemental; inflicts Bleeding (-5) and Poisoned (-10); great sword) Round Metal Shield (SP: 7), Tome of Affluence (+10 Gold if equipped for the entirety of a battle; Immune to Fragile,Sleep,Weakened, and Blindness; Immune to Darkness-, Fire-elemental; accessory), Counterstrike Gloves, Mopag Helm (SP: 3; headwear),

Inventory: Lullaby Wand (WP:6, Inflicts Sleeping Effect), Sabre (WP:6, Longsword), Silver Sword (WP: 18, Longsword) Grand Potion, Grand Tonic, Remedy x2, Phoenix Essence, Health Core, Oculoid Miasma, oculoid Fireworks, Mead, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Potion, Mead, Saber Teeth, Grand Tonic, Jinxy Juice, Grating Stone, Elixir, Silver Ore, Mythril Shard

• Hood of Belthazar Bluehood (Power +4; Ether -6; headwear) Cloak of Blood Magick (+5 ether, attacks made with darkness magic weaken the enemy, bodywear suitable for Mages, Necromancers, Chi Monks) Scarlet Hood (Sutiable for anyone, headwear. SP: 4, Immune to Stunned.), Frozen Saber (WP: 9; Light-, Ice-elemental; inflicts Stunned; great sword), Chains of the Pongcanis Chief (Hero Pierces SP if fighting from Front, Enemies ignore SP if hero fights from the back row, cannot be removed in battle), Amulet of Optimism (Adds the confused-effect to all attacks; accessory, suitable to Erdathcath only)

• Garnet, Sapphire, Amethyst

• Scroll of Recklessness (Encouraged and Fragile; costs 5 Ether; 50/50 chance), Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Fragility, Scroll of Sealing,

• Fire Brandy (Encouraged, Immune to Ice), Fireball Whiskey (Immunity to Fire One Battle OR 20 Fire Damage All Enemies), Emerald Lamp of Summoning, Hamantasch (Lucky, Blessed), Mead, x2 Nostrum, Ambrosia, Smelling Salts, Hair of the Dog, Grating Stone

• Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe

*Chicken Leg (+2, Quest 28), Drumstick (+1, Quest 70)

**Pseudo's Blessing (+4, Quest 40), Big Apple (+1, Quest 70)

8878153168_75444a509d_t.jpg

Karie Alderflask-Cour, a True Hero

23? years old human female

Level 28.66 Witch

Defense: 2 (0)

Health: 45/45 (7+27+8+2)

Ether: 33/34 (1+27+4+2)

Gold: 1373

Equipment: Blazing Palm (WP: 14, Fire *Poison 19!* elemenetal, whip, succeful hits lower the target's level by one.)Catsuit (Wearer becomes nimble and has a 1/3 chance to completely avoid rolls of COUNTER, DAMAGE, and Free Hits, suitable to women only; body wear), Ethereal Cloak (SP: +2, Max. Ether: +4, back wear), Paper Doll

Inventory: *Weapons: Spring Staff (WP: 12, healing someone else through this staff also heals the user by the same amount; water elemental staff), Grumpy's Staff (WP: 10, fire elemental staff), Sexy (WP: 9, disregards SP, longsword), Heirloom Dagger (WP: 3), Rusty Dagger (WP: 2, deals poisoned by 10 effect, breaks after 3 uses), Oculoid Palm (WP: 11, successful hits lowers the target's level by 1; coils around the users arm when outside of battle, whip),

*Minstrel Weapons: Angelic Trumpet (WP: 5, user is blessed, instrument), Vagrant's Guitar (WP: 5, user is lucky)

*Artefacts:

Glittering Dress (The user's job traits are replaced with those of a Harlot: Promiscuity, Flee, and Money Maker; suitable for women only, body wear), Medal of Valour (This pendant is awarded by the Bonapartes to those who show their heroism in the battle against piracy. The wearer gains double experience in battle. Accessory), Skull Mask (SP: 1, wearer can pose as undead, headwear), Trickster's Mask of the Elf (Changes user's appearance into an elf, accessory), Witch's Talisman, Mage's muffler (protects from sealing; accessory, suitable for anyone), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrified; accessory, suitable for anyone), Helmet (+1 max. health)

*Minstrel Artefacts: Encore Plectrum (If the same battle song is sung more than one round in a row, the song's ether cost for the consecutive rounds is halved; suitable for minstrels; accessory),

*Gems: Ruby (Fire), 2 Sapphires

*Scrolls: Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Newtity

*Battle Songs: True Love's Serenade (restores 50 health to the rest of the party per round, cost 10 ether; Battle Song)

*Consumables:

Potion, Grand Potion, Tonic, Grand Tonic x6, Remedy x4, Phoenix Essence x5, Nostrum x2, Pumpkin Bomb (causes poisoned by 1, asleep, blinded, sealed, and confused to all opponents when used), Neutralizer x2, 3 Herbal Infusions (Removes negative effects and causes Blessed and Transcended effects), Oculoid Miasma, Elixir, Tiger Balm, Ether Core, Health Core, Smelling Salts, Potion, Mead, 15 Venoms, 2 Deadly Venoms, Grand tonic, Jinxy Juice, Love Potion, Elixir, Sushi (restores 5HP and 5 Ether), Remedy

*Tools: Telescope, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magic Compass

*Sheep: Baaffy (Pet Sheep, whenever unleashed, puts random enemy fast asleep, unlimited use)

Quest Items/Roleplay Item: Masson's Journal Entry 11, Map of Brendenton, Spider Coin (worth 1 gp), Forest Journal, Blue Syndicate Uniform, Kayla's Mask, Ulric's Letter

Jeaux2.jpg Jeaux Elmfyre, a True Hero (joeshmoe554)

Automaton male, Evoker

Level 22.33*Blessed* *Transcended* *Immune to Sealing, Bleeding, and Confused*

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 5 (0)

Health: 33/33

Ether: 21/21

Gold: 1285

Equipment: Divine Cannonade (WP:13; gives blessed- and transcended-effects to user; Poison 7 and Cursed; empty; handcannon), Automaton Armor (SP:2, immune to bleeding and confused; suitable to automata only; bodywear), Golden Helmet (HP +3, SP +3), Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5)

Inventory: Longbow (WP:7), Quick bow (WP: 6, bow, provides hastened effect for one round each battle), Machine's Heart (The hollowed out heart of Monolith, after being defeated, halves all damage from Earth, Electrical, and Mechanical type enemies; bodywear, suitable for anyone), Enchanted Bracelet (protects from sealing; accessory), Handy Suitcase (SP-2, use 2 items per round; accessory), Professor's Kit (successful attacks on Mechanical enemies have a 1/3 of turning them to the hero’s side for the next three rounds as a tamed monsters, accessory), Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Topaz, Diamond, x2 Amethyst, Soma, Tonic, Grand Tonic x3, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence x2, Remedy, Volatile Venom x4, Jinxy Juice, Smoke Bomb, Water Bomb, Bedroll, Bone x6, Experienced Turdwing (Deals the confused and poisoned by 1 effects on an opponent when used, fly familiar), Ectoplasm, Oculoid Fireworks x3, Ether Core, Spellbound Gloves (Spellpower +5), Oculoid Miasma, Ether Core x2, Potion, Grand Potion, Mead(2), Grand tonic (2), Elixir, Silver Ore, Remedy

Summons: Nilrem (Paladin Armor, Lightning Armor, Demon Armor)

a126cabc798a9ad470820a8d617b5d8c.png

Mortimer "Em" Mahzan, a True Hero (Em) *Party Leader!*

Unknown age human male Warden

Level 21.66

Power Bonus: 5

Defense: 28

Health: 40/40 52/80

Gold: 628

Equipment: Blazing Bow (WP: 14, Fire-elemental *Poison 2!* ), Vigilant (SP 12, halved damage from elemental attacks, immune to electricity, shield), Iron Knuckle Armour (Body, foot, and hand wear. Counts as one artefact. Usable by knights and dragoons. SP: 10. Cannot be removed by enemies), Anniversary Medal (Artefact/Accessory, Power +3, SP +3, Max. Health +3, Max. Ether +3. The values will increase by 1 with each passing year), Frost Helm (SP: 3, immune to ice, suitable for anyone, headwear)

Inventory: Consumables: Smoke bomb, Remedy, Venom, Grand Potion x5, Silver Ore, Phoenix Essence, Health Core, 2 Floral Bombs, 2 Ice Bombs, 2 Lightning Bombs, 1 Fire Bomb, 3 Smoke Bombs, 2 Water Bombs, 2 Holy Bomb, 2 Dirt Bombs, 2 Air Bombs, Chaotic Bomb (100 random elemental damage to all opponents), Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Telescope, Potion, Mead, Silver Ore, Reaper's Heart, Mythril Shard (1)

Weapons: Tritech Handcannon (WP:16, Fire-elemental, permanent poisoned 7 + 10, cursed), Doppleganger (WP: 10, Retribution: The user inflicts any negative effects he or she has on the target enemy on successful hits; longsword), Aquabow (WP: 7, Water-elemental),

Tools: Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe

Equipment: Crescent Shield (SP: 5, halved damage from elemental attacks, shield), Eyepatch, Bright Polish

Buffs: Permanent + 3 HP, +2 Power, and +1 Ether from Crystal Sovereign.

picture_8_inventory.png

Johon [AKA Alf Gregory], a True Hero (Bricksandparts) 25 years old male human Raider*Natural Respite* *Restoration**Immune to: Fragile* *1.5 stealing multiplier* *Hide of The Bleeding*

Level: 32.75

Power Bonus: +0 (0art+0perm)

Health: 46/46 (lvl31+cls7+7perm+0art)

Defense: 5 (5art+0Shield+0perm)

Gold: 6345

Equipment: Muckraker (WP:+13, suit: Barbarians/Knights/Beast Warriors/Necromancers/Regulators, *Water, Wood, Earth*, Causes *Weakened*)Heavy Armour (suit: Bararians/Knights, SP:+5, *Immune to Fragile*)Hide of The Bleeding (suit: Anyone, +10HP +5ETH for every enemy user defeats)Sticky Gloves (suit: Rogues/Beast Warriors, 1.5 multiplier for stealing)Barbarian's Boots (suit: Barbarians/Chi Monks/Beast Warriors, *Restoration*)

Artifacts: Simple Helmet (suit: Anyone, HP:+1), Pseudos' hood (suit: Anyone, Ignores Undead immunity), Quiver of Poisoning (suit: Rangers/Beast Warriors/Infiltrators/Winged Warriors, Causes *Poisoned by 1* using bows/crossbows),Blessed Amulet (suit: Anyone, *Immune to cursed*), Dog Statuette (Rover) (suit: Anyone, SP:+1), Counterstrike Gloves (suit: Anyone, deals damage equal to level when hit with free-hit), Sterile Gloves (Suit: Anyone,*Immune toPoisoned/Bleeding*), Scarlet Hood (suit: Anyone, pwr:+4, *immune to stunned*), Steel Core (Accesory, suit. everyone, +7 power), Bravado Boots (suit: Anyone, 1/6 chance of receiving *Lucky* at start of battle), Satchel of Awesomeness (Permanent Lucky-effect; bodywear, suitable for anyone),

Weapons: Sword of Decay (WP:+8, suit: Barbaians/Knights/Mages, Causes *Decayed by X-3 rounds* X=dmg dealt/4, Effect does not stack), Greatsword (WP:+3, suit: Barbarians/Knights/Beast Warriors/Necromancers/Regulators),Focal Staff (WP:+5, suit: Clerics/Mages, Ability: Roll 3 at cost of 5 ether), Gladius (WP:+15, suit: Anyone, Darkness, 1/3 chance of causing *Fragile* on succesful hits), Stalker’s Mallet (WP:+8, suit: Barbarians/Knights/Harlots, 1/2 chance of causing *sealed*), Lullaby Wand (WP:+6, suit: Mages/Necromancers, Causes *asleep*), Lovelorn Wand (WP:+6, suit: Mages/Necromancers, Causes *enamored*), Scaridy Wand (WP:+6, suit: Mages/Necromancers,Causes *afraid*), Wand of Wrath (WP:+6, suit: Mages/Necromancers, Causes *enraged*), Shield (SP:+5, Suit: Knights/Dragoons/Regulators/Skirmishers), Old Whip (WP: 10/20 against Beasts), Qlice (WP: 8, club, permanent Poison 4)

Consumables: Potion (25), Grand Potions (16), Grand Tonics (1), Health Cores (2), Phoenix Essences (2), Remedies (10), Mead (14), Smelling Salts (13), Nostrums 10), Venoms (10), Deadly Venoms (7), Smoke Bombs (1) , Fire Bombs (1), Water Bombs (5), Lightning Bombs (14), Bones (13), Skeleton Decoys (1), [/font]Ambrosia, Mulled Wine (1), (1)Trial Brews (1), Ectoplasms (1), Level-Up Mushrooms (1), Grating Stones (2), Health Core (1), Grand Potion, Potion (2), Mead, Bone, Skeleton Decoy, Blind Fury, Neutralizer, Equilibrium Tonic, Oculoid Miasma

Gems: Ruby (1), Sapphire (1), Topaz (1), Diamond (2), Amethyst (2) Aquamarine, Garnet, Emerald, Opal, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Weakening, Scroll of Frailty

Tools: Shovels (1), Pick-axes (2), Magic Compasses (1), Water Canteens (2), Magniscopes (1)

Quest/RP/Misc. items: Blue Rose (Invasion of Luosh) (1), Fifty Shades of Bley (1), Mythril Shards (1), Silver Ore

OOC: Me and Zepher have some RP to finish, so if no one minds...

And the magical barrier drops. Boomingham turns to his party. "If you can't stand me, nows the time to say it. We've got a long boat trip ahead of us, I'd hate for it to be awkward."

Karie punches Lawrence in the face, directly in the jaw. She felt like she was spiralling into an abyss, her body language and face erupting in rage.

"Awkward? How is this not awkward? Are you out of your goddamn mind, Lawrence?" She swings at him again, aiming for the stomach, trying to hold back her more frightened emotions. "My husband... went through hell and back for you, and this is how you reward him? It could've been you being used as Seerus's meat puppet, you could've been under the Regret's control, and my husband took the blow for you!" She swings at him a third time, aiming for his face, her Oculoid Palm beginning to lash out as ink swells across her right arm. "You're a goddamn monster, you pompous, cowardly, hypocrite!" She makes an effort to push the paladin to the ground.

Boomingham burps when hit in the stomach, and then spits as he is hit in the jaw. He drops his sword.

"It's done, Karie." He spits again. "No one good deed can repair what he's done. Think of the lives he stole. Ah, but what the Hel. This isn't a debate." Boomingham looks up at Barty. "Some help you were."

"You should have killed him."

"Yeah yeah, I know." Boomingham retches, but controls himself. "Alright, enough, Karie. I left him alive. He's paid his debt to me, as far as I care. So we'll leave it. I'm done. The Reaper is dead, and the Stealer has paid his debt. That's it. Punching me won't bring his arm back anymore than cutting off his arm gave back those folks lives. We're done."

"Alright, enough, Karie. I left him alive. He's paid his debt to me, as far as I care. So we'll leave it. I'm done. The Reaper is dead, and the Stealer has paid his debt. That's it. Punching me won't bring his arm back anymore than cutting off his arm gave back those folks lives. We're done."

Karie hits Lawrence in the ear, giving him a cold, bleak stare.

"You're right. It won't change a thing, because actions have consequences, Lawrence, as you're so clearly trying to drive home, and me and you are going to be on a ship together. For almost a month. Anything can happen within a months time, Lawrence." Karie states drily. She had no intention of killing or harming Lawrence, nor could she probably, but if she could discern even a hint of worry into the paladin, it would make her feel better. She moves away and to her husband, helping him up as she silently heads to the boat.

"I have no shame. Whatever punishment you devise... that will be for you to implement and me to withstand." Boomingham picks up his swords and sheaths them all. "We're only responsible for ourselves, after all." He spits one final time. "I hope that ship still has booze. I need a drink."