14796938311_796be62479_c.jpg

Here is my entry for the mini competition. It's a 4 axis manipulator arm.

Videos:

Final assembly and operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6N-x8fn5VU

Remote control with backpack:

Promotional image:

Entry Name: 5200X - Robot Arm

Parts Count: 200

Functions:

• Shoulder Yaw
  • Shoulder Elevation
  • Elbow Elevations
  • Gripper
  • Power Functions Ready. Remote control backpack set sold separately.

Promotional Image (front and back of box):

14797851994_e7dc3500dc_o.png

Parts Image:

14777048676_171ce50603_c.jpg

LDD:

Download: http://s000.tinyuplo...884804100941772

14613519560_f0d9778b1b_c.jpg

LDD for the backpack: http://s000.tinyuplo...987728314159761

14807097212_88403bb7ee_c.jpg

Building videos: From the parts in the parts image to the model used in the promo image.

Building part 1:

Building part 2:

Building part 3:

*Sorry for the poor lighting. I will shoot some new ones soon. I recommend watching these in fast forward.

Edited by Bzroom

Great, this time it's not a vehicle :laugh:

Basic idea that has been done so many time already, but making this under 200 parts is impressive.

I'm still trying to figher out how you got 3 function through a turntable. I know it is possible, but I think I have to build it to understand :wink:

Love the colorfulness.

On a side note: I are only alowed to enter with 1 promotional photo, so I think it is wise to remove the PF version in the entry topic and just let it show here that it can be combined with the powerpack.

Nice entry, really different from the rest.

I'll download the LDD file to better understand your drivetrain, but 3 functions through a turntable is impressive.

Just being curious: is there a logic in the colour coding of the bricks you used?

I tried to stick with the original Technic color scheme. Red, Yellow, Blue. I also wanted it to be stimulating, so if someone walks past it they have to touch it.

Thank you for the nice feedback. I hope you all enjoy it!

Videos posted!

Videos posted!

Nice :thumbup:

The rotating is a bit to fast for good control the arm. Try to reduce the the M-motor moving it 3 or 4 studs back and fit in a gearbox with at least 1:3 reduction of higher.

I really, really like this very much. Love the colors and function. Set reminds me of the old basic Technic sets, when I was a kid.

Thanks barman. The rotation is indeed a little too fast to control. Thanks for the tip. I was still in the "not many pieces" mindset when I built the backpack. I'll add a gear box. Thank you!

I had a good look at the LDD file and now I get how you can have 3 outputs through a turntable.

I also noticed that you could remove a couple of parts that aren't needed.

- The 3L liftarm thick light gray with the pin connector in the base that holds the 2 gear can be removed (it is also an illegal connection :tongue: ). replace the 2 2L axles with a 3L with stop stud on the bottom through the 2 triangles and a 4L with stop above.

- on the boom the 3L connector dark gray, 1 universal joint and replace the 3L and 4L axle with a 8L axle.

The extra part could be edit to strengthen the wobbly base :grin:

Right now I am building this model. I think it's the colors that make this model so fun. Reminds me a bit of an education set.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Innovative solution for the two lower left input wheels. I haven't completely understood your second set of replacements. Please post a photo when you have made them to your model.

I originally had 4 red 3L bush pins in the turn table. I took all the photos and videos and when I took the model apart to count the pieces I realized I was at 202! So I had to take the two extra red 3 L bush pins out and rebuild/reshoot everything!

The first one I built was colorful like this. Then I rebuilt it with a more consistent color scheme and it was so boring. Having lots of color is definitely what makes this model stand out.

This is a great entry, I'm amazed you could squeeze this in 200 parts! Just one but.. I suspect the playability without PF isn't all that great. (there's no video that clearly depicts playability without PF, is there?) With PF it looks awesome, but for the contest only the model without PF should be judged so that quite hurts it.

Having said that.. I would give you some points if I were allowed to vote.

Thank you. The manually operated wheels on the back manipulate the linear actuators 1 to 1, so it can be pretty tedious to do a movement routine by hand, very similar to opening the cowl on the 42000. That being said, it's really good for passing the time at work. When you're waiting for a build to finish, it's fun to pose the robot or pick something up with it _because_ it takes so long. It's like a stress reliever.

Those are some clever optimizations barman. Thank you for building it and posting the pictures. I can see that you've embraced the color scheme, with those blue half pins on the LA and switching out the red bushes. The color scheme has a facet where nearly no adjacent pieces share the same color. This makes every individual piece stand out and it's really easy to see how the machine was assembled and how it works. When the colors were more uniform, it all looked like one piece, like it was made that way and bought already assembled. The "color puke," as I affectionately call it, really makes it clear that it was built from a kit.

It's an honor to have someone else assemble one of my models. I'm sure this is the first time it has happened. Thank you.

Edited by Bzroom