Darthluke824

2015 LEGO Trains?

Now before everyone gets excited this IS NOT an announcement for new trains but a prediction on patterns. Two years ago in January the Horizon Express was released, with two year gaps inbetween the Maersk train and Emerald Night.

Could there be a new train next year? Another steam train or something a bit different?

Any ideas from anyone else?

(Mods move this if necessary)

I think there may be a pattern here I think it will go like this: Steam (was the emerald night), Freight (Maersk Train), Bullet/high-speed train (HE), then the loop starts again in 2015 with another steam engine. That is what I expect to happen.

Hopefully Lego will surprise us maybe with a shunter and some nice coal cars to go with it? :grin:

-Rail Co

A shunter would indeed be a very good set. We haven't seen that in a while.

We probably would not see a very small one, though, since the Power Functions bits take up so much room on the inside.. I know that AFOLs have built small shunters with PF, but a Lego set has to have playability, and I don't think you can have a small loco with all the Power Functions parts and still be able to easily 'play' with an open cab..

I would love to see them do it though!

I missed out on the Emerald Night.. I wish it had been available for longer. I would hope we get another steam locomotive.. maybe in a color like dark blue. A Mallard would be gorgeous..

Remember though, that these are "Expert sets" meaning that they are meant for teens and up. On the boxes the say 14+ not the 6-9 on the city trains. So it is still a valid possibility!!!

Also a Mallard would be amazing to have in a Lego set

I'm hoping for a nice big German steamer, like they use to make in the old days (4,5-12v era), possibly with some coal hoppers or something similar with it

Lets be fair, they have yet to actually produce a decent German outline steam engine... Hell, I'm not all that sold on Emerald Night either, the proportions, both for the A3 class of locos it was supposed to be based on, and in general for British steam are all wrong all over. Not only would a German outline loco be a nice choice, it'd also be easier to achieve if the sheer number of examples online compared to British outline locos is anything to go by.

I'd imagine most developed countries have thriving model railway communities, I know the UK does. Where Germany (and the US) have the advantage is both their larger populations and the fact that a lot of their locos appear in very similar guises in other countries, making the market for certain models larger.

We probably would not see a very small one, though, since the Power Functions bits take up so much room on the inside.. I know that AFOLs have built small shunters with PF, but a Lego set has to have playability, and I don't think you can have a small loco with all the Power Functions parts and still be able to easily 'play' with an open cab..

Don't forget, it's easier for the LEGO compagny to do something with this than it is for us. All they have to do is change color of the battery blok and use it as a part of the body

I'd love to see the company releasing a standard Creator 3-in-1 train, much like the Emerald Express but minifigure scale. Providing they chose some fun designs and hit the $45/£25 price point, then I honestly can't see what they would have to lose. We often talk about the problems of trying to sell multiple products to a small market (that is, small relative to the other product lines), but Creator has helped to solve this with a more traditional exploration of design. The product is then sold through a set of running themes throughout the three models, which is why the builder's attention is drawn to the design process.

A single train product would therefore seem like the perfect fit for Creator. Afterall, these wouldn't be the hyper-detailed designs that we expert from the Expert series, but just bright, manageable builds for children like the rest of the Creator line.

And the bonus is that it would combine many of the things that fans want in just a single product; two different train designs and rolling stock. The option of rebuilding the model into a carriage alone would be enough for both families and AFOLs to consider multiple purchases.

The designers wouldn't even need to worry about Power Functions at this level. That's what the community is for afterall!

But if such a release were to happen, then I think the loco from 10173 Holiday Train would seem like a standard to match for the primary model.

2087394101_3a8c4a96a1.jpg

As for the next Creator Expert train, I'm still holding out for an A4.

Edited by nesquik

Good look on a A4 (I have plans for an A4 on this site), well one done nice. They always fail with steam trains lego. Make another nice deisel or eletric.

Is that why Emerald Night goes for several hundred dollars above original retail price on ebay? Because it's a failure?

A Maersk/60052 like locomotive with 5-6+ grain/coal vagons would be much appreciated. :)

Trying to get some extra vagons and containers for cargo trains but its hard and expensive. At least one of the trains for 2015 should be available with lots of vagons and a theme.

We have cranes/stations from 7939 and 60052, would be part of a nice station/cargo layout with another good train.

Is that why Emerald Night goes for several hundred dollars above original retail price on ebay? Because it's a failure?

It's not fantastic. It's also about the only modern attempt at a Steam Loco (certainly the only one that replicates actual motion gear). Beggars can't be choosers.

I quietly sit and hope they might bring out some supplement sets to go with this years trains as well as a creator expert train

A big German steam locomotive would be awesome. So in my enthusiasm I got my book of German steam locomotives and selected some who may be good to be a set. So the main 2 I've chosen are the BR 38 and BR 41. Personaly I would go for the BR 41 because it's a freight and passenger locomotive but the BR 38 would also be a nice one. If TLG made a BR 50 or BR 52 I wouldn't mind at all but the 1'E (2-10-0) would be hard to get through a curve.