Sign in to follow this  
Jarren

LDD 4.3 and Mac OS Yosemite

Hi all, with the release of the public Beta Program for Mac OS Yosemite, some of you may be interested to know that there is a serious bug that renders LDD practically useless. Trying to save any file, pre-existing, or brand new, will cause the application to crash. The only work around I have been able to find is to export the model as a LXFML or LDraw file. The interesting thing is it does create a file, but it contains no data.

Thought I would share for anyone else who was eager to try the beta, and uses LDD!

Hi all, with the release of the public Beta Program for Mac OS Yosemite, some of you may be interested to know that there is a serious bug that renders LDD practically useless. Trying to save any file, pre-existing, or brand new, will cause the application to crash. The only work around I have been able to find is to export the model as a LXFML or LDraw file. The interesting thing is it does create a file, but it contains no data.

Thought I would share for anyone else who was eager to try the beta, and uses LDD!

Make sure you report this to apple, so they can look at it and see if it is a problem with Yosemite.

Thank you for the heads up Jarren. I was thinking about upgrading to the Yosemite Beta but will hold off until the main release.

Thanks again.

Yup, reported to Apple, I might also want to report to LEGO, but not sure where to send it to make sure it is seen. I should have checked first on my developer beta build on my external HD. Glad I don't use LDD very much right now.

Hmm, I am using Yosemite now, and today I found my LDD crashing on saving. Is this the only thread regarding this error? I wonder how many people may have this bug.... Very strange. Has anybody an update??

I've been using LDD a lot over the last few weeks and thankfully I've not encountered any problems.

I'm sorry I can't throw any light on the problems you've been having but thought it might help knowing it's probably not a widespread problem.

Hope you get it sorted.

And I have a user reporting that a program running from a simple jar file crahes on Yosemite with the latest Java in the other thread. Does anyone know if Java applications are supported on Yosemite? I read elsewhere that Java only works as a browser plugin, but I don't have access to a machine with the OS to test this myself.

Hmm, I am using Yosemite now, and today I found my LDD crashing on saving. Is this the only thread regarding this error? I wonder how many people may have this bug.... Very strange. Has anybody an update??

Same issue for me but random. Could happen with any type of parts, any number of parts, any file name ... I cannot find any consistency in this behavior but for sure it never happen before Yosemite. has anybody reported this error to Lego ?

Thanks

Neuro

Edited by NeuroMimetis

Hello all,

First post... I contact LEGO about this a while back, they gave me a work around and said they were fixing the issue. It worked for a while, then I had the same issue, repeatedly. Yesterday I installed another Yosemite update and LDD is working again. I don't know if they're connected or if it will stay fixed. Anyway, the temporary fix provided by LEGO was:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

We are sorry to hear that your LEGO® Digital Design software is having problems with saving. The LDD software engineers are trying to fix the issue but in the meantime we have a workaround for you.

What to do: ( manual editing of: "/Applications/LEGODigitalDesigner.app/Contents/Info.plist" )

-make sure you have admin rights to your PC

-right click on the "LEGO Digital Designer" icon

-choose "Show Package Contents"

-The Finder will then open a window with the "Contents" folder

-double click on "Info.plist".

-delete these lines: <key>LSMinimumSystemVersion</key> <string>10.4.11</string>

This work around should fix the situation for you. We want you to enjoy the program to its fullest and we understand that saving is a big part of that. We hope to hear that this has fixed everything up for you and you can make some amazingly creative designs.

Edited by SHIPbricks

I installed LDD 4.3 for the first time on OSX 10.10.2 and LDD on start up goes into what appears to be an infinite loop downloading and updating 'bricks'. Anyone else seen this?

Forced to upgrade to Yosemite yesterday to file taxes. No problems opening LDD files until today. I can't access the "Lego Digital Designer" menu currently and have had to force quit LDD several times. Now cannot open any files.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

Still doesn't seem to work for me, even with the workaround. Not sure if it is because I am still on the public beta program or not.

I've installed LDD 4.3 on Yosemite for the first time yesterday on my macbook pro 15 inch retina (mid 2014). I also experienced seamingly endless downloads of updates/bricks etc. When the updates were finally ready everything ran fine. Today I started experiencing problems with loading my lxf files. It took forever and LDD regurlarly crashed... I reinstalled LDD several times and it still takes aprox. 2 minutes to load a simple lxf. At the home screen of LDD all recent lxf's first appear with hourglass, after a few minutes all pictures become visible and from that point on, loading is very quick.... Another thing I can't get around is the scaling of the program on the macbook. The letters of the dialogboxes in LDD are quite fuzzy. LDD doesn't seem to scale well on the retina screen. Furthermore, all colors seem to be much darker compared to my old windows laptop with LDD. Maybe I'm not explaining it right, but I expected more of LDD on Mac. There is no problem with the brightness of the screen. Shaders do work perfectly compared to my old laptop.

Does anybody else experience the scaling issue? What about the colors?

The letters of the dialogboxes in LDD are quite fuzzy. LDD doesn't seem to scale well on the retina screen.

Unfortunately, this is exactly what happens to all applications that have not been designed for the retina screens. So until LDD is compliant with these resolutions, no miracle will happen. And honestly I'm not expecting Lego to update their software in that direction.

Back to the original issue (LDD crashing while saving files), this has disappeared since I have updated Yosemite to release 10.10.2 (14C109)

Neuro

So... To update on my problems with Yosemite, the main issue seems to be the boot-up screen. I can open a file directly by doubleclicking the file to circumvent this. Then the overhead dropdown menus can work. However, as soon as I try to start a new file, the mac will "think" indefinitely, requiring a force shutdown. You can still open an old file, delete all bricks, and save the blank document.

I have a hunch this is not all Apple's fault with Yosemite, since my previous issue on Snow Leopard involved LDD crashing when attempting to click on the icon of a previously saved file.

Long story short, I'd like LDD's welcome screen to just go away.

As long as I'm here with Mac/LDD people, what's the latest version of OSX for which LDD was fully functional? Mountain Lion? Lion?

@RoxYourBlox

The welcome screen hanging is not an OSX problem only.

When you start LDD it loads completely the last files opened. If among them there is big files, the time required to load them could be very long.

There are two workarounds:

- clear the recently opened files list.

- create an empty read-only lxf file and use it to open LDD.

LDD will crash if I try to load a file too large from the "recent" list. It isn't a matter of waiting. So my work around was to (1) open files directly or (2) click the lower right box to start a new file, then open an old file from the menu. With Yosemite, option (2) no longer works. Today, I'm restoring the OS back to 10.6.8. But it would be nice for Lego to do away with that screen and go directly to a blank or no document upon opening up.

Edited by RoxYourBlox

@RoxYourBlox

So the start screen loads, but the problem happens when you try to load your file from there.

The start screen has some performance problem its own, maybe the huge load causes the crash.

Anyway I think that the best solution is to create the empty read-only lxf file and use it to start LDD. It is similar to the option 2, but it is faster because it avoid to load the start screen.

[...] it would be nice for Lego to do away with that screen and go directly to a blank or no document upon opening up.

Add the line ShowStartHelp=no to LDD's "preferences.ini" file (I think it's in /User/Library/Application Support/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer/ for macs) then the program will startup straight to a blank grid every time. It's great.

Add the line ShowStartHelp=no to LDD's "preferences.ini" file (I think it's in /User/Library/Application Support/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer/ for macs) then the program will startup straight to a blank grid every time. It's great.

Thank you, this works! Is there additional line of code to go to LDD extended mode?

Can you tell me where this option is on Mac? I looked at the Info.plist file but didn't find it.

And my LDD cannot save file on Yosemite 10.10.4 too, and all texts are white now so I can't see any status, tooltips, dialog's labels... so annoying :(

Did a clean install of 10.10.4 a week ago for an unrelated reason. Installed LDD and everything runs fine, files save, GUI doesn't have any problems. Not sure what changed, but working for me. rMBP late 2013.

Opening an old model file (then empty it to start a new one) instead of creating new file from menu to get rid of saving issue. But all dialog and tooltip texts are still transparent, I can't see them at all.