Sign in to follow this  
Scouty

LEGO's own pirate ship?

This is a post card, I saw while browsing BrickLink: Here

And it appears, it has a mighty pirate ship on it!

921273.jpg

What are your thoughts on this? It looks like a mighty fine ship.

921273.jpg

There's allready a topic on this. I beleive it's on pernament display at the Lego gallery in Billund.

If I'm not mistaken that ship was first displayed during the 1993 LEGO Exhibition "Pirates Ahoy!".

If that's the case I've seen it first hand.

There's allready a topic on this. I beleive it's on pernament display at the Lego gallery in Billund.

Don't think so.

I have allready been to Legoland, Billund 8 times this year ( and have been there many, many times) and I've never seen this beautiful *wub* ship before.

Actually, I'm going today again; I'll try to ask someone, if it has ever been there.

921273.jpg

I would say that isn't a recent Ad. Simple because the colors that the builder used. Tan and brown don't appear.. (colors from the end of nineties)

If so could you please provide a link for us? I think you're confusing this with a Spanish Galleon MOC.

This ship (which is part of the index) looks very much like it.

But I'm not certain if they are the same ship.

I don't see the white at the bottom of the hull and some details are different.

48.jpg

49.jpg

Edited by bonaparte

This ship (which is part of the index) looks very much like it.

But I'm not certain if they are the same ship.

I don't see the white at the bottom of the hull and some details are different.

Actualy, it looks the same and the white underneath looks more like old grey. If you look at the 2nd photo, there are some faint grey lines and the ship is also a bit turning sideways (i.e. it is not "straight" on the water, see the photo) and also the blue flag on top, colors and building style of the sterncastle and the brick built blue and white water scenery looks exactly the same. Only the flags on the back of the ship seem to be different (the ship on the postcard has a plastic jolly roger flag and the others show a black and red canvas flag from the 6289 Red Beard Runner).

Edited by jamtf

Ok, some pranksteer changed the traditional Jolly Rodger with a RBR Jolly Rodger, but if you look it's otherwise the same ship. The white at the bottom of the hull is just hidded by the overlap of black.

Also, just look at the stern sides, even though the image Mr.Scouts is at an angle, you can see that the decoration and window placement is the same.

Edited by Norrington

Ok, I say these are different ships.

First post: The hull line appears to be made with bricks. A much thicker white part.

Second Ship: It appears to be built on plates.

Or perhaps the second one isn't the finished one?

Side by side:

921273.jpg48.jpg

Other differences

• Sail configuration
  • Flags. One has clip on flag other has canvas
  • Different wave motion in the brick water

Perhaps the first inspired the second...

8-(

Side by side:

921273.jpg48.jpg

Other differences

• Sail configuration
  • Flags. One has clip on flag other has canvas
  • Different wave motion in the brick water

Perhaps the first inspired the second...

- sail configuration does not look any different to me, perhaps the light fall or photo angle might make things looking differently

- the flag thing has been mentioned... by me X-D but should not be the main issue here since it is such an easy change...

- different waves... hard to tell since the first photo is taken from behind and the second one is taken from a different angle... plus the ship may have been put on the waves differently at a later date...

Inspiration... it would be VERY, VERY hard and extremely difficult to make the same ship again and to get it to match the one on the postcard in so much detail...

I am not convinced and still think the ships are basically the same.

And the "white" underneath is definitely old grey... don't you guys have old school castles?

Edited by jamtf

And the "white" underneath is definitely old grey... don't you guys have old school castles?

Yes it looks to be old grey. The ships are the same! Structrely at least...

No-one in LEGOLAND Billund knows anything about the ship.

But - I threw it on our Forum in the danish LUG "Byggepladen.dk" before I drowe to Billund this morning, and a wonderful guy called Heine wrote this (translated from danish):

"The ship was never ment to be a set. Apparently, it was displayed at 1993 World Lego Expo, which had the theme "Pirates Ahoy". If this is the ship, LEGO named it "Pirate Galleon", it consists 13.280 bricks, and it took about 101 hours to build.

All these facts found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Pirates, but the year 1993 in wiki, does not tally the 1991 on Bricklink"

Well, I'll try to dig deeper, and talk to someone at LEGO, to hear if it still excists. I'd just love to walk around her, and take a lot of pics.

Btw. a good link - even this forum is mentioned, and I learned a lot. ( It's quite new to me, this pirate obsession).

Edited by Jesper

Only 13.280 bricks? Wow, so much detail in so little amounts of pieces. :-P .

I would suppose thats 13.280 million bricks?

I would suppose thats 13.280 million bricks?

Man, thirteen million? You must think about these things a little more, Commander.

It's a European comma. It's 13,280 bricks.

I may be mistaken but there are red squares along the side of the post card.The other doesn't have any.

I would say that isn't a recent Ad. Simple because the colors that the builder used. Tan and brown don't appear.. (colors from the end of nineties)

Where exactly are these tan and brown parts in that picture?

Hello, what's new about this story?

There are new photographs?

you discussed the issue with the heads LEGO?

Thank you

That amazing