Sign in to follow this  
Solitary Dark

Narrow Gauge Train Set

My favourite set as a kid was my 7740 I was given for my 7th Birthday - Still complete, still running, side by side with my Son's 9V.

When I saw the 4-Wide track I knew I had to build a mini train set. I have spent a long time trying to settle on the size and type of Engine, and finally decided to go with this:

14732088801_0ed37a730c_s.jpgNarrow Gauge rail 7 by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

14548628969_93685ab9a0_s.jpgNarrow Gauge rail 14 by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

14732897894_4d50231f1d_s.jpgNarrow Gauge rail 11 by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

14755138103_c582027fcf_s.jpgNarrow Gauge rail 1 by The Solitary Dark, on Flickr

I added the small countryside scenes - My son wants me to now add some Cargo.

Like lots of folk I hope one day there are some 4-wide straight tracks, or even points.

it is possible and people are also using that! actually LEGO is also doing that in different sets like the large Gold Mine from two years ago, you could e.g. use jumper bricks to connect the two rails enough together to avoid derailments.

Your challenge is to motorize it :devil: . you could probably but the battery box in the car use the old 9v mini motor connecting in some gears?

Great Job looks great!

-RailCo

That is a great little build. I think ME models is producing a narrow gauge connector, so that should get you easy narrow gauge straights. Plenty of other ways to do it too though (e.g., the half stud offset mentioned earlier).

This looks lovely - nice build! The colours of the locomotive and the carriage don't go together very well, but I like to see narrow-gauge trains anyway. I have a soft spot for them.

Very nice! As has been said, these layouts could really take off with straights, and dare I say it, switches?

Thanks for sharing!

Interesting choice of mechanism for the driving rods. Interesting choice of color for the pax car too...

Motorization is tough for NG, especially if you want PF... all that PF infrastructure is just so massive.

I doubt they'd make switches for NG, but I could definitely see straights. In fact I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.

Great job on this! :classic: The colour scheme makes it more more unique!

Btw I'm now working on a narrow gauge railway, it is the copy of a real, and it's motorized!

Cute design -- the gold accents really bring out the charm. I've got some narrow gauge stuff in the works (waiting on parts…). Wound up building a boxcar as a power unit (9V battery box and gearmotor hidden inside).

Really, what Lego should have done is make the 4W curves without the connecting system at the end. There's no point to re-using the connector from the 9V system since the track is smaller, and then you could just connect it directly to the 12V rail pieces without any tricks.

I've seen some narrow gauge switch designs on the web, but I've yet to find one that uses the 4.5/12V track without stressing pieces.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it's good to know there is such an interest in Narrow Gauge trains.

The colour choices were dictated mostly by what I had available. It was either purple or pink for the carriage!

I would like official straight pieces, or even crosses or points, as a whole layout in this scale would be very practical for kids.

My son is asking for a Cargo Shunter next - good Job I have a few more Small train wheels...