Sign in to follow this  
brickgrrl

Brickgrrl's town-on-two-shelves (perpetual WIP)

Please forgive the extreme WIP nature of this post. If I wait until it is "done" to share, I'll never get there.

Here (if my attempt to link works) is my progess so far on a town on two (back to back) shelves. I have 16 inches on one side, 12 on the other, plus the depth of the wall.

10525690_10202286011532160_5280373417094391380_n.jpg

10346294_10202286012612187_3959343330938217033_n.jpg

I think I'm eventually going to raise the buildings over the track on both shelves -- unless I'm going to narrow the backs of the bigger modulars, 16 inches isn't much space for a modular, street, and train track, even if I set it up for street running. But oh my, the bricks. What you see on the one elevated side is not nearly as finished as I want it!

Edited by brickgrrl

I like the buildings, they're cute. But I really like how the trains run underneath the town. It's like a proper subway!

I really like the modularized Friends High School and Medieval Market Village.

Nice to see the results of our previous conversations Brickgrrl. Are the base plates of the modulars locked in? Would be interested in seeing a close up shot of the construction.

Nice to see the results of our previous conversations Brickgrrl. Are the base plates of the modulars locked in? Would be interested in seeing a close up shot of the construction.

Sure thing! It's nowhere as structurally sound as the great designs you and sin and others came up with on http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92307&hl= and there's definitely evidence of use of table scrap and cheapest-available, but it works, and it's sturdy enough for my two year old to stand on the table and whack at it. The modulars are on plates (not base plates) with some small added plates underneath the main plate(s) to cause them to sit snugly in their spots, with a couple studs to keep the corners from curving up.

The substructure felt really flimsy going together, and then I got enough assembled that it was no longer flimsy, and it really isn't going anywhere.

Eventually, I'd like to replace the girders in front with arches (as you can sort of make out in the first photo). And I want to make the subway station worth looking at. This is my inspiration: http://www.byggbiten.net/?p=1221 , although my platform will have to be narrower due to the need to fit between two tracks.

10527305_10202286258178326_6521912381240389245_n.jpg

Can you take a close-up shot of your medieval market village modular? It looks awesome!

Sure! There were once stairs that came up the back, but in order to fit it on the shelf (those modulars are only 16 studs + 8 studs of sidewalk, not the usual 32 total), I removed the stairs that accessed the first level deck, so there'll be no photo of the back today. :)

10408570_10202286500144375_7418459581129104942_n.jpg

Edited by brickgrrl

I'm loving that dark red building on the left! And your modularized High School and Medieval Market are looking good as well!

One suggestion: you might wanna switch the width of your buildings up a bit; you have your 16 wides grouped together and your 32 wides grouped separately. Mixing them up will give your town even more of a dynamic feel :grin:

Please do elevate your other street too! It looks very nice with the tracks underneath! We can already imagine what it's gonna look like when you finish it up with those arches and stuff, and I think it will look very nice! Sure it'll cost you some bricks, but isn't that what this hobby is all about? :wink: You could use basic bricks or cheap secondhand ones to fill out the non-visible parts (underneath the buildings etc) to give the whole structure more strength.

Love to see what your 'subway' is gonna look like! Have fun and go cray-cray grrl! :pir-laugh:

Very cleaver use of your space, and at the same time solve that problem some of us have with having the train not really going to another place.

Excellent work there 'brickgrrl'.......I like the train tracks from room to room idea.......my wife would kill me if I did that in our house ! :laugh:

Brick On 'brickgrrl' ! :grin:

I'm loving that dark red building on the left!

The dark red building's facade is kristel's, from her free instructions, with minor modifications, as built by the 8 yo KFOL -- it's actually on my to-do list for more modifications - I think I want the stories one brick shorter, and the door assembly is flimsy - not sure if that's the KFOL's error or the original directions. But yeah, it's a real looker, isn't it? I'm working on collecting enough bricks in nougat (?) to give it a neighbor.

Edited to add: here's the link to kristel's directions: http://modularsbykristel.com/downloads-modular-buildings/ - you'll see that we swapped in white for the solid color sides.

Edited by brickgrrl