Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2015 Pictures and Rumors

Being much more curved and painted with feather-inspired designs versus being largely angular is not exactly a "relatively minor aesthetic design difference." But yes, I've acknowledged a couple times already that it shares the same major elements and functions with the LAAT/i. I still don't think that it fits in or looks good. :def_shrug: Again, ugly cars share the same general structure and purpose as good-looking cars. They still don't fit in or look good.

Prescribing to a preconceived aesthetic of good looking or pleasing is not even how the world works. As you say ugly cars are a reality and are still just as much cars as the more popular or better looking ones.

The design for the Wookie gunship does look the least OT Star Wars design but then do Cloud cars or sail barges fit in a neat category of what constitutes as Star Wars looking? They certainly don't look like anything we normally associate with starships and normal Star Wars vehicles.

Also the concept art looks much smoother and less angular but when adapting a design into Lego it doesn't quite translate every detail. Also there is more color saturation in the plating with a greenish tone. Though I agree the gunship looks out of place with the other Rebels designs, I don't think we should dismiss its place in Star Wars based on it's appearance.

I think the issue that some people may be having with this design, and I feel this way somewhat, is that it just seems too similar to sci-fi things I've seen in other films, artworks, etc. The wings with engines type design is a bit too familiar. Star Wars materials can introduce new and different vehicles all the time, but they tend not to look too much like anything else in other sci-fi universes. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where I'm wrong, but for the most part, Star Wars designs look unique. This particular Wookiee ship design looks too generic sci-fi.

Prescribing to a preconceived aesthetic of good looking or pleasing is not even how the world works. As you say ugly cars are a reality and are still just as much cars as the more popular or better looking ones.

And I never said that the Wookiee Gunship wasn't a reality or wasn't just as much a gunship, either. :classic: I only said that I thought it didn't look Star Wars-esque.

I didn't think the LAAT looked particularly Star Wars when it debuted... I still think it sticks out too much, more than I ever thought the N-1 starfighter ever did. The Wookiee gunship looks to share a lot with the LAAT; I've grown to accept the one gunship, so it's not much of a bigger leap to be cool with this one... Especially with another Kanan and Wookiees!

The design for the Wookie gunship does look the least OT Star Wars design but then do Cloud cars or sail barges fit in a neat category of what constitutes as Star Wars looking? They certainly don't look like anything we normally associate with starships and normal Star Wars vehicles.

Also the concept art looks much smoother and less angular but when adapting a design into Lego it doesn't quite translate every detail. Also there is more color saturation in the plating with a greenish tone. Though I agree the gunship looks out of place with the other Rebels designs, I don't think we should dismiss its place in Star Wars based on it's appearance.

This was my point regarding the fact that Star Wars is a HUGE universe where pretty much anything is possible. There is a famous saying which I will probably get wrong but its something like 'if you get an infinite amount of chimps to sit at a piano eventually one of them will play Mozart' its basically saying that because the universe is infinite then all possibilities are possible. So with the Star Wars universe being infinite anything is possible. A cloud car or Sail Barge isnt going to look anything like what you find on Endor, or Kashyuk because different beings live there with different technologies and styles etc.

The Gunship, is a wookies design maybe influenced or adapted from something else. It wont look like anything else that we have seen from Rebels because we have only seen two Spaceships, I am sure the Gunship cant go into space!

Again, I agree that it could look like something from other Sci-fi but most of the time they are influenced by Star Wars anyway!

With all the talk about these two gunships I'm surprised that no one has mentioned their similarities with actual "gunships" we have in real life today. The front/back cockpit configuration is the most prominent. Then the chin-mounted guns, and missile/rocket pods on the sides behind the cockpits. Plus, none are elegant-looking like a fighter. They are ugly, utilitarian weapons.

I think it's pretty obvious where the designers of the LAAT and the Wookie gunship got their inspiration.

AH-64D Apache Longbow

apache111.jpg

MI-24 Super Hind

mi-24-super-hind.jpg

Eurocopter Tiger

eurocopter_tiger.jpg

With all the talk about these two gunships I'm surprised that no one has mentioned their similarities with actual "gunships" we have in real life today. The front/back cockpit configuration is the most prominent. Then the chin-mounted guns, and missile/rocket pods on the sides behind the cockpits. Plus, none are elegant-looking like a fighter. They are ugly, utilitarian weapons.

I think it's pretty obvious where the designers of the LAAT and the Wookie gunship got their inspiration.

MI-24 Super Hind

I always knew it. Them damn dirty hippy Wookies are Communists. Quick Alert the Media! Call Fox News! Somebody send in Glenn Beck.

I always knew it. Them damn dirty hippy Wookies are Communists. Quick Alert the Media! Call Fox News! Somebody send in Glenn Beck.

Who is Glenn Beck - in fairness he really sounds like a jedi when you think about it - but I am betting this is NOT a confirmed rumour for 2015..? :wink:

This is going to be Jabba's Palace all over again :roflmao: Edited by Blackice200

Why is it that there are no bad guys so far? I mean they would be a major selling point, wouldn't they? I expected them in the 2014 line actually. I am not very much impressed by the visuals of Rebels, but Agent Kallus certainly looks nice as a minifig.

Sales are so low in Australia that the 2nd round of sets for this years lego star wars haven't been stocked up yet for sale. There are literally 0 sets from what Americans describe as "summer sets". Nobody is buying. There are pathetic attempts to put them on "sale". I saw one at Big W saying "We will match ANY toys price if you see it cheaper elsewhere." or "Buy 1, get 25% off the 2nd."

The reason sales are low? There are a lower number of sets from eps 1-6. Most, not all, star wars fans are 18+ and have a love for the movies (and have a source of income), buy the sets from eps 1-6 that ARENT remakes and wait for the next wave (like myself). the younger fans are not rich, and probably get max 2 sets a year (birthday and Christmas) from parents that probably aren't fans of star wars and will buy a random set.

Conclusion: There are no sole selective purchases for Star Wars sets other than those from eps 1-6. There was some for Clone wars, but barely anyone cares for "rebels".

If you read this and disagree, it's most likely you are a hardcore lego star wars fan, which is not the majority of buyers. I got my fair share of lego star wars ($5000 worth over time), and am running out of space. I will not buy this set as its not worth the tiny space I have left.

Good set and build maybe, but not impressed. Specials and sales wont help either. Get on with the next wave Australia.

Edited by Cloney

Every time I look at the new Wookiee Gunship. I like it a little more. Now, after comparing it to the photos of attack helicopters, it has a lot more of a bad-a55 look to it. I am not convinced it's worth 70 dollars, though but it's still cool.

Also, Glenn Beck could never be a Jedi, as he is too childish and silly. :wacko:

The hind ispired the LAAT, and this new gunship looks more like the apache.

I completely agree about the LAAT. It even transports troops like the Hind does (which it's the only one of the 3 helicopters that can).

LOL@Glenn Beck as a Jedi

Sales are so low in Australia that the 2nd round of sets for this years lego star wars haven't been stocked up yet for sale. There are literally 0 sets from what Americans describe as "summer sets". Nobody is buying. There are pathetic attempts to put them on "sale". I saw one at Big W saying "We will match ANY toys price if you see it cheaper elsewhere." or "Buy 1, get 25% off the 2nd."

The reason sales are low? There are a lower number of sets from eps 1-6. Most, not all, star wars fans are 18+ and have a love for the movies (and have a source of income), buy the sets from eps 1-6 that ARENT remakes and wait for the next wave (like myself). the younger fans are not rich, and probably get max 2 sets a year (birthday and Christmas) from parents that probably aren't fans of star wars and will buy a random set.

Conclusion: There are no sole selective purchases for Star Wars sets other than those from eps 1-6. There was some for Clone wars, but barely anyone cares for "rebels".

Kinda hard for folks that aren't just generally big SW fans to care for REBELS yet, as the series hasn't even premiered :tongue:

If you read this and disagree, it's most likely you are a hardcore lego star wars fan, which is not the majority of buyers. I got my fair share of lego star wars ($5000 worth over time), and am running out of space. I will not buy this set as its not worth the tiny space I have left.

Good set and build maybe, but not impressed. Specials and sales wont help either. Get on with the next wave Australia.

In Australia, LEGO, especially Star Wars, sets are often A LOT more expensive (sometimes 2x the US price).

Nowadays, in my opinion, most sets are "meh"-you'll buy them on sale but not really for full price.

So, even if a set is 50% off down under, it could still be full US price, and therefore not be worth buying.

If LEGO wants to sell more, they should make the US price more or less universal-maybe $5 more or less on a medium size set-so people in the EU/Asia/Australia region won't feel ripped off.

Why is it that there are no bad guys so far? I mean they would be a major selling point, wouldn't they? I expected them in the 2014 line actually. I am not very much impressed by the visuals of Rebels, but Agent Kallus certainly looks nice as a minifig.

Not true at all... We have a Stormtrooper. He would appear to be an underpaid overworked pedestrian Stormtrooper, who as of this reveal seems to be all be himself against this teaming horde of juvenile delinquents, ravenous bug eyed purple monsters Jedi terrorists and a pile of rabid Wookies... Which kinda makes him sorta the real hero here doesn't it? The lone cop standing against the street gangs and hipster pink Mandalorians with explosives. The one lone candle of order against a sea of darkness and anarchy. Hmmm?

I shall call him Phil!

In Australia, LEGO, especially Star Wars, sets are often A LOT more expensive (sometimes 2x the US price).

Nowadays, in my opinion, most sets are "meh"-you'll buy them on sale but not really for full price.

So, even if a set is 50% off down under, it could still be full US price, and therefore not be worth buying.

If LEGO wants to sell more, they should make the US price more or less universal-maybe $5 more or less on a medium size set-so people in the EU/Asia/Australia region won't feel ripped off.

Well to be fair don't' these countries have higher standards of living with higher overall prices and better average pay? I mean the exchange rates also show that value of currency is worth more than the US dollar. Also I believe I have read that Lego keeps prices lower in the United States because of the high volume that occurs here. I could be mistaken.

Not true at all... We have a Stormtrooper. He would appear to be an underpaid overworked pedestrian Stormtrooper, who as of this reveal seems to be all be himself against this teaming horde of juvenile delinquents, ravenous bug eyed purple monsters Jedi terrorists and a pile of rabid Wookies... Which kinda makes him sorta the real hero here doesn't it? The lone cop standing against the street gangs and hipster pink Mandalorians with explosives. The one lone candle of order against a sea of darkness and anarchy. Hmmm?

I shall call him Phil!

Yes, yes! I like this reasoning. I read that the Empire, especially Agent Kallus views imperial law as the only form of organization and order in the galaxy. By their perspective, the rebels stand for anarchy and disorder intent on undermining security and structure. Hopefully, I am certain Lego will make some Stormtrooper centric sets for Rebels.

I shall call him Phil!

Sure! :laugh:

I am just afraid that lone candle won't last long, will be replaced by another, whereas his superiors probably pop up every week again even when defeated by some kids. :wink:

I shall call him Phil!

You sound like a good Imperial recruit for Shadows of Nar Eurbricka! JOIN TODAY!

While I still am not likely to buy the gunship, I do think, as I said earlier, an excellent design. Furthermore, if it were not so far off-color relative to my usual MOC's and if I weren't so dis-interested in Wookiees, I probably would buy it. It's a good set, just not my cup of tea.

No doubt there will be new REBELS sets in 2015.

Maybe SLAVE I is one of them?

Why?

Because Hasbro is releasing Boba's ship in this packaging:

SlaveIRebels1.jpg

And the fact the Rebels logo is on the box means the vehicle is in the show.......confirmation:

(watch from 0.58)

No doubt there will be new REBELS sets in 2015.

Maybe SLAVE I is one of them?

Why?

Because Hasbro is releasing Boba's ship in this packaging:

[snip]

And the fact the Rebels logo is on the box means the vehicle is in the show.......confirmation:

(watch from 0.58)

This seems possible since Boba Fett is getting his own movie after episode VII comes out. However if you look at the bottom in the blue area it says, "As seen in Episode V," so there's a possibility of this ship being released with the Rebel's packaging despite the fact that it doesn't relate to the show.

I am not a hardcore LSW fan and neither agree nor disagree with this statement. However I would ask if this is based on assumption or on any particular research?

Actually for Australia's second half releases of SW......the warehouse is being shifted and stocks have been delayed - mid to late August......but that's off topic talk in 2015 topic eh ?

Now it would be interesting to see if Lego will release another Slave 1 ?

I also wonder if Lego will pump out a large minifig count set for Rebels tv series ?

This seems possible since Boba Fett is getting his own movie after episode VII comes out. However if you look at the bottom in the blue area it says, "As seen in Episode V," so there's a possibility of this ship being released with the Rebel's packaging despite the fact that it doesn't relate to the show.

The Hasbro guys said in the video that the rebels colouring of the box etc will be used for toys from the original movies, however they did say that if it has Rebels underneath then it's from Rebels. This is to avoid confusion and mis-selling etc. the strange thing is that the Slave 1 isn't in the Rebels visual guide.