I think the origins of this beast are fairly obvious (and made me consider whether I should post in the action themes forum, but since fantasy creatures seems to come under historic this forum seemed more appropriate).

We already had the Lion Legend Beast (picked up as I had a £5 off voucher), and after a relatively unsuccessful shopping trip with my son we picked up the eagle. We built the eagle (of course) and about 10 minutes after finishing it I realised it should be possible to combine them into a griffin.

The build is fairly simple really. It took a little while to get the wings positioned to my satisfaction and get a reasonably coherent colour scheme. I expect it would be possible to work out how I did it from this photo, but if you want a few pictures of the build click through to Flickr. Most of it follows either the eagle or lion instructions so I only took photos of the differences (and realised a couple a a bit blurry after uploading them, I might update them at some point...)

14699658892_620b6dcb0c.jpgLego griffin

He has been demolished so we can use the pieces for something else (or maybe even build one of the legend beasts again). I've not looked to see if anyone else has built a griffin using these set but I doubt I'm the only one!

Edit - I've added it to Rebrickable

Edited by zabdiel

I was wondering when someone would try this. If you're interested in some constructive criticism, I'd say you could probably smooth this out and make it look a bit better and more natural. Maybe I'll make a griffin later to test some of my own ideas out!

Thanks. @mccoyed I'd be interested to see your version if you make one. I was only using parts from these two sets, and I'm not sure that photo is from the best angle & pose, however I reckon my design could be improved on (certainly if you used parts from other sets, but even just using this set I expect a more skilled build could make some improvements)

Mostly I think it could be sleeker. If you're using the existing pieces, this is probably as good as it gets!

This is quite clever. My one criticism is that the front paws seem too large. They're very nice and articulated, but it looks a bit comical. Still, a very impressive build!

Thanks. Yes, I agree that the front paws (claws?) are a bit too large, but I didn't see any way I could fix this while still using only the parts of the two legend beasts. The front legs have only minor modifications from the eagle legend beast. In fact I can't think of any way of making smaller front claws, even if I used parts from other sets. If anyone has suggestions I'd be interested to hear them (even if I might not have the parts, we have a fairly small collection & most of that belongs to my children)

@Chak - nice to see a different interpretation. I knew I couldn't be the only one to have tried this. It's actually got quite a different look to it despite using the same parts. Yours has a more mecha/robot type feel to it (possibly influenced by the last post with it standing on two legs).

I'm not sure it's well suited to Lego Ideas though, since it's a mashup of two existing sets it's something people could build themselves & I doubt Lego would expect to get high sales (though obviously I think the idea is good).

@Behemoth - thanks (assuming you meant my griffin). @samuraiturtle - some other legendary hybrids from Legend beasts would be fun (Chimera Legend Beasts? - sorry couldn't resist the stupid pun)

Totally agree. It's nice to see someone else has the same idea. I also knew I couldn't be the only one ;)

Maybe after a few years when the legend beasts are not for sale anymore, the legendary creatures will be in the picture ;)

For now it's more suitable for "Lego Movie Create & Combine".

I am looking forward to see your next hybrids.

Nice. I like the tooth pieces for ear tufts and the tooth pieces on the front legs. It's interesting that your griffin has a different & distinctive look, even though we were both building the same thing using the same small pool of parts.

Is the 3 tooth part that's sticking up between it's wings part of the griffin or something else behind it?

Edited by zabdiel

Is the 3 tooth part that's sticking up between it's wings part of the griffin or something else behind it?

Yes it's part of the griffin. I've added a back rest for minifigures to lean on to when mounting the griffin. I try to use up all parts from the 2 sets.

It makes sense now I know what I'm looking at. Using all the parts makes it more of a challenge! I didn't try to do that and wasn't bothered about a minfig sitting on mine.

The stickers certainly add something, but the Minifig really makes it. She goes really well with the colour scheme and the pose works brilliantly with her expression.

Nice Griffins you two...

I've had mine sitting around for ages (same idea you guys had at about the same time too so didn't want to flood the boards with Griffin after Griffin!) Again mine is slightly different but same mix of parts - although I went for eyes and no stickers - more like zabdiels...

well, here goes nothing!

Edited by nine09nueve