Sign in to follow this  
mikaelsol

MOC Soltown

Hola,

I'm a new member, but have been lurking for many years.

At the moment I'm working on a classic themed Lego town in our guest room/my Lego room.

I want it too look very 80's and early 90's, because that was the era when I was a kid (I was born in 1981).

But I want it to have new features also, so it feels like a town that's been around for some time, with different layers of time periods just like a real town.

Soltown has an airport, two train stations, a medieval castle that attracts tourist, lots of policemen since it's a bit of a dictatorship, a harbor and so on.

You'll see most of it in my shaky youtube video ...

Here's the link

It's still under construction. I think it will be finished in late August, because I'm going away on vacation.

If you search for the hashtag #lego on instagram, you will probably see some more pics of the different stuff that's going on in Soltown.

Anyways, I'm so inspired by all the cool MOCs your posting here, so I hope I can contribute some myself to this great community.

Here's a pic of how Soltown looked a couple of weeks ago, but in the youtube video you'll see a lot of changes (I've removed the train yard because I wanted a more compact town)

soltown01.jpg

Edited by mikaelsol

So far so good! I really like city's with Castle's trains and all sorts of stuff, it seems like normal city's get boring. Great work :thumbup:

Very nice work on that layout so far 'mikaelsol', I like the name of your town there too. :thumbup:

How big is it going to be ?

Keep going and Brick On 'mikaelsol' ! :grin:

Welcome to Eurobricks, mikaelsol. Such a nice classic town, you have got there :thumbup: Very compact, though :wink:

Are all the classic 80s models original? Or have you have you used Bricklink/Pick-a-Brick/Shop@Home to get the bricks? I can see that not all bricks are in the originial colours. And one more question: The red and white striped lids/covers on the ice cream cart (the good, old classic one from 1985), are they the ones you have played with as a child? The are in such a good condition. On mine, the red stripes are faded/partly worn off.

I look forward to see more from Soltown.

Welcome to the forum. I must admit that I was a lurker to the site for 6 months prior to my first post and it took me two years to get up the courage to post in the Town forum with all the wonderful talent that shows off their work here.

I love your town layout and the mix of modern and classic 80's sets, although I have to admit that most of your 80's is right at the beginning of my 25 years of dark ages. Very nice assortment of Lego style and very well assembled. Great work.

Thanks guys!

I usually try to build three things for my town everyday when I get home from work. It can be some minor changes somedays, and other days it's a new house or a car.

lightningtiger: I think it will be 7x7 baseplate big/small. Right now it's standing on the floor, but I hope my girlfriend will let my buy some tables to put it on, because it's killing my back and knees sitting on the floor when I'm building on it. A lot of times I build outside of the layout and then place the building when finished.

laka: Not all are original. I googled for the instructions and used bricks from my collection (I've been an AFOL since 1999 when the Star Wars sets came out).

The lids are original from when I was a kid. I never really played that rough with my Lego bricks as a kid. I mostly just liked to build and then look at it and dream. Basically what I still do...

My next project is to build a beach and use the Friends beach house and the Creator beach house next to each other. I like the fact that a Lego town always is a work in progress.

Edited by mikaelsol

good ,Very nice work on that layout so far 'mikaelsol', I like the name of your town there too13.gif

Edited by tainabgricu

Great to see you have started to share what you are doing!

I have been lurking/commenting for a while, all the time getting ideas, but also making the step of actually starting to put a layout together.

My kids are 9 and 5 and love lego, so I am now working on a layout which satisfies my needs for a layout, yet also has some playability for them. Luckily, we moved house to just north of Stockholm last year and we have a hobby room downstairs which has space for a layout.

I would love a castle in my city layout also. I have always envisaged a 'ruin' or at leasts a tourist style attraction castle in there and its great when a visit to a real place gives some inspiration. We have been to two very contrasting places in the last month, New York, and Jönkoping. Both very inspiring in different ways!

As I said, great to see you have taken the leap and started to create the layout.

Ill start a thread soon I hope with some very basic progress on. I have created some of the tables, and started to get the base plates in place with train track!

Thanks for all the comments!

Here's an update. I bought 6 new blue baseplates so I could get a beach on the side of Soltown for people to hang out at.

I've also given the hotel and the shop signs. The Mexican band is celebrating this.

Here's a video.

Edited by mikaelsol

That's an excellent layout, with a lovely mix of old & new buildings. I really hope your girlfriend lets you get the tables you need - much easier than replacing your knees!

I've added a lighthouse based on set 6265.

Here's a bit of an overview.

soltown_fyr.JPG

Here's a video of the lighthouse update, with a bonus peek at my slaughterhouse...

I just realized that i should put the top part of the lighthouse on 1x2 plates with the one centered stud on top so it doesn't tilt over at one side like that.

True that top of the lighthouse does look off centre.......but I like water scene there lots of classic town boats......keep going and Brick On 'mikaelsol' ! :grin: