I've always really liked the look of the BRmk1 for no reason. In my effort to 7-wide-ify the Emerald Night, I decided to make a MOC of this classic carriage. I designed it in LDD using few references and viewing them infrequently, so it mostly just takes on the more distinguishing aspects of what make me love the BRmk1 rather than being a strict LEGO representation of a real-life thing.

Having room to seat two minifigs side-by-side while retaining the curved sides was also something I strove for in the design.

14501093488_d2a4575c51.jpg

I played around a bit with the livery. I think just about everyone knows train window frames in tan are ridiculously expensive, so I first tried a crimson and cream livery (red and white). The white windows were less ridiculously expensive. It looks damn good on it's own, but with the Emerald Night locomotive, not so much. It was missing the rich earthy tones that the tan and brown possessed.

So when I found out the 2x2x2/3 curved slope was available in dark brown, it was time for a repaint.

14501082739_09af83ea1a.jpg

Which color scheme do you like better?

I chose to go with the more available and less pricey square windows, and I think the effect is okay. Though not the BRmk1, there are other coaches from the UK's railway past that have more boxy looking windows. This one is an open composite type just like my MOC:

1309.jpg

Finally, thanks go to my gf for taking the pics with her fancy camera.

I've attached the LXF should anyone want it.

10194-emerald-night-carriage-tourist-06.lxf

Edited by codefox421

the cars look great and a big improvement over the stock EN coach, if you have pictures of your cars with an EN, please post.

they look great!!! I like both scheme's, maybe for two different trains?!

Those are both great designs. But to me the the round windows look a lot better than the square ones, maybe it's just that I like them better. There is also a lot of roof detail, and you can see the seats :thumbup:

It is nice to see someone with a good designed BR coach. Both colours look good to me. I'd prefer one in old Southern rail green though! A whole load of them pulled behind a big green or black steam train would look so good!

Overall, they look like a really nice generic British steam era coach, but I'm not sure about the inset doors. I know it's a pain to get doors that look like doors (at least without engineering them to open, which isn't easy with those curved sides (believe me, I've tried and (so far) failed).what if you tired having them at the same profile as the rest of the coach, but ensure that no bricks overlap (on the outside at least) and include one of the either of the two styles of brick bellow to act as a door handle:

4081b.gif or 44301.gif

I may well take a closer look at the design, I've got a generic mk1-ish design that is 6 studs wide but at some point I'm gonna want to widen em and add the curved sides and my first LDD design was both overly complex and *way too long* for Lego curves!

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the kind words! :blush:

the cars look great and a big improvement over the stock EN coach, if you have pictures of your cars with an EN, please post.

Here you go. :classic: Though I've only built one copy. I simply replaced the colored parts between the red/white and brown/tan versions.

14672885756_46c3696330.jpgEmerald Night with BRmk1 by niaconis, on Flickr

Overall, they look like a really nice generic British steam era coach, but I'm not sure about the inset doors. I know it's a pain to get doors that look like doors (at least without engineering them to open, which isn't easy with those curved sides (believe me, I've tried and (so far) failed).

Oh I believe you! Those curves can be a megablocks! I'm not overly convinced about my doors either. Things get tricky around the ends since that's where everything comes together, so these doors are a sort of compromise I took in order to get the coach out of my head and into the brick. I'll undoubtedly revisit them some day; I've been continually planning and revisiting my EN mods since I bought the set 3 years ago!

I may well take a closer look at the design, I've got a generic mk1-ish design that is 6 studs wide but at some point I'm gonna want to widen em and add the curved sides and my first LDD design was both overly complex and *way too long* for Lego curves!

I've seen your mk1, and it's quite nice. Keep at it! This isn't the first time I've tried to design a mk1. This is revision 6 of trial about 4 or so! (I've lost track over the few years it's been since I first started) :laugh:

These are really nice train coaches! I like the curved shape at the bottom of each sides.

I find that the train windows fits better than the standart ones! But I know they are quite expensive. Especially in tan!

I actually think the square windows really do help make the HE coloured coach look like a Great Western Railway coach. Although he could use the rounded windows on that coach, because that colour frame was only available from the HE set, they are *really* expensive.

Nice job, 7-wide fits perfectly for the EN. And you made an excellent carriage.The shape is really nice and those square windows are not bad at all.

I see you also changed the tender. Good job as well.

Here you go. :classic: Though I've only built one copy. I simply replaced the colored parts between the red/white and brown/tan versions.

That looks great (and the much improved tender helps a lot too). Though I do see a major problem... you need another 3-8 more of these cars (grin).

On 7/19/2014 at 4:46 AM, codefox421 said:

I've always really liked the look of the BRmk1 for no reason. In my effort to 7-wide-ify the Emerald Night, I decided to make a MOC of this classic carriage. I designed it in LDD using few references and viewing them infrequently, so it mostly just takes on the more distinguishing aspects of what make me love the BRmk1 rather than being a strict LEGO representation of a real-life thing.

Having room to seat two minifigs side-by-side while retaining the curved sides was also something I strove for in the design.

14501093488_d2a4575c51.jpg

I played around a bit with the livery. I think just about everyone knows train window frames in tan are ridiculously expensive, so I first tried a crimson and cream livery (red and white). The white windows were less ridiculously expensive. It looks damn good on it's own, but with the Emerald Night locomotive, not so much. It was missing the rich earthy tones that the tan and brown possessed.

So when I found out the 2x2x2/3 curved slope was available in dark brown, it was time for a repaint.

14501082739_09af83ea1a.jpg

Which color scheme do you like better?

I chose to go with the more available and less pricey square windows, and I think the effect is okay. Though not the BRmk1, there are other coaches from the UK's railway past that have more boxy looking windows. This one is an open composite type just like my MOC:

1309.jpg

Finally, thanks go to my gf for taking the pics with her fancy camera.

I've attached the LXF should anyone want it.

10194-emerald-night-carriage-tourist-06.lxf

Hej! I really like your design. I would like to use the construction for my Hogwarts Express. I have already a layout finished on 6 wide, but I think in 7 wide with the curved slope it would look so much better. The link seems not working anymore. Could you provide a new LXF or IO file. Would be awesome. Great job!

First of all welcome! Second, please don't revive old topics. Especially as ancient as this one. Also when quoting, remove the pictures, makes the forums more pleasant to read. More info for new members: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/forum/167-new-member-section-please-read-before-starting/

I am very interested in this carriage, but the old uploaded lxf file seems to be expired

any chance to reupload? truly appreciate~