SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

Many congratulations to the SBrick team for hitting your primary Kickstarter target - some richly deserved success for an innovative and well thought-out proposal.

So now on to the stretch goals.....

Sorry if I missed it in the 12 pages of discussion, but I'm not clear why the stepped design is seen as being desirable. From a purely selfish perspective, and as a backer, I prefer the more compact flat design and personally don't see the appeal of the stepped version. It seems to me that the extra £40K could be used for much more interesting enhancements than just making the SBrick bigger.

So please help me understand why you feel that stepped is best.

Cheers,

D.

[EDIT] Having just reviewed the poll, I note that only 5% of voters seem to be most enthusiastic about the stepped design, so do the majority of backers even want it ?

We love the stair-top design because you can build around three sides of it. Check Sariel's video about it. Currently this is the design what we have showed on our videos, this is what we sent to our testers.

I will post pictures about our design ideas.

Maybe you can post pictures also of your ideas.. :)

We love the stair-top design because you can build around three sides of it. Check Sariel's video about it. Currently this is the design what we have showed on our videos, this is what we sent to our testers.

I will post pictures about our design ideas.

Maybe you can post pictures also of your ideas.. :)

If you have some idea (and design draft picture) please post here: https://social.sbrick.com/forums/topic/3/physical-design-ideas

Edited by pasztorl

Backers will now get design #2, even if the stretch goal isn't reached.

Hopefully the typical pattern holds true and there is a big rush of pledges during the last week so these guys aren't as financially exposed... You know they had to spend some serious money to get these prototypes built.

You know they had to spend some serious money to get these prototypes built.

And that's one thing that makes this a great project. The SBrick team didn't just go straight to Kickstarter when they had their initial idea. They put the time and effort in to make a potentially great product that works and then asked us, the consumers, to help with manufacturing costs.

I've got my pledge in for a couple of S-Bricks and am happy to support this worthy project. My only problem is I don't own a smart phone so I'm really hoping to be able to use my PS3 controllers at some point! If I had my ultimate dream for this type of product, it would be to be able to use my 2.4 GHz R/C controllers instead of Bluetooth.

I've got my pledge in for a couple of S-Bricks and am happy to support this worthy project. My only problem is I don't own a smart phone so I'm really hoping to be able to use my PS3 controllers at some point! If I had my ultimate dream for this type of product, it would be to be able to use my 2.4 GHz R/C controllers instead of Bluetooth.

Well I am on the same ship as Blakbird,I would love to get one but I don't want to use a phone but rather a remote control of some kind.

Congratulations for hitting your primary Kickstarter target!

For stretch goals I would mainly focus on hardware.

I am pretty sure things like a profile designer and chip tuning are amazing but these are software and can be upgraded after release ( after you made some money by selling some of them ).

Upgrading hardware after launch is a bad thing you most likely do not want.

For design, I would like to have some extra pin/cross holes on the sides to have some extra attach options ( this also irritates me with the PF reciever ).

I dont know if it is already implented yet but support for mindstorms would also be very handy.

I am not a Minstorms builder myself but I if you want to use more then four motors in a model you already need two mindstorms sets. So a solution with the Smartbrick will be far cheaper.

WeDo support would also be nice.

I have a question: so far we have seen videos where a vehicle with 1 Sbrick and 2 functions, as driving and steering. And the device (smartphone) and the interfeces where pretty simple, 2 sliders (1 for driving and 1 for steering) or maybe centered point that moves in all directions (Volvo 42030s)

BUT, if I'll have 3 sBrick on my model and 12 functions, how the interfeces would be? who would realize it? does the app recognize the Sbricks and create itself a finger slider por each function??

Cos otherwise we would not be using the all potential the sBricks have!

I'm looking forward for all these answer, but even more looking forward to the next models I'm planning to realize using at least 3 sBricks!

I have a question: so far we have seen videos where a vehicle with 1 Sbrick and 2 functions, as driving and steering. And the device (smartphone) and the interfeces where pretty simple, 2 sliders (1 for driving and 1 for steering) or maybe centered point that moves in all directions (Volvo 42030s)

BUT, if I'll have 3 sBrick on my model and 12 functions, how the interfeces would be? who would realize it? does the app recognize the Sbricks and create itself a finger slider por each function??

Cos otherwise we would not be using the all potential the sBricks have!

I'm looking forward for all these answer, but even more looking forward to the next models I'm planning to realize using at least 3 sBricks!

Hi,

No, there is no automatic discovery and profile generation, but you will easily create your own remote controller via the profile designer feature.

We would include some "factory default" remote control profiles to handle 1,2,3 SBrick in a general way.

As you seen on the tester videos there is no limitation on the user interface design.

Our next video will be a 42025, full motorized + extra leds on it.

Hi,

No, there is no automatic discovery and profile generation, but you will easily create your own remote controller via the profile designer feature.

We would include some "factory default" remote control profiles to handle 1,2,3 SBrick in a general way.

As you seen on the tester videos there is no limitation on the user interface design.

Our next video will be a 42025, full motorized + extra leds on it.

Ok thanks very much! The last question: rather than a smartphone can I use an Ipad? being bit bigger in size would help a lot at controlling a range of 10-15 functions!

Ok thanks very much! The last question: rather than a smartphone can I use an Ipad? being bit bigger in size would help a lot at controlling a range of 10-15 functions!

Sure. Please check out the Train video on SBrick youtube channel ;)

[EDIT] Having just reviewed the poll, I note that only 5% of voters seem to be most enthusiastic about the stepped design, so do the majority of backers even want it ?

The question is what feature do you like the most - I assumed you were meant to choose one only. I want the stepped design, but the use in sunlight is more important for me, with the longer range second. Although it is possible to select more than one answer for the question, when it should really be limited to one as it is written.

Sure. Please check out the Train video on SBrick youtube channel ;)

Oh thanks. I did check it but got so busy that I was wondering once again! Good news!

I;m still afraid of playing with an ipad in my hand, where for my creations would be more suitable to have a material joystick (for driving and steering) and some sides switches for other functions. And all this build in LEGO bricks too. So the next step should be to integrate a small device that contains a bluetoot that we can fit and fix in "our remote controll".

Do you think this could be possible?? The pic shows what I would like to have as remote control, and using the Sbricks!

remote3.png

Oh thanks. I did check it but got so busy that I was wondering once again! Good news!

I;m still afraid of playing with an ipad in my hand, where for my creations would be more suitable to have a material joystick (for driving and steering) and some sides switches for other functions. And all this build in LEGO bricks too. So the next step should be to integrate a small device that contains a bluetoot that we can fit and fix in "our remote controll".

Do you think this could be possible?? The pic shows what I would like to have as remote control, and using the Sbricks!

remote3.png

What do you think about to support gamepads like PS3?

about the PS3 gamepad I see 2 issues (minor).

1) I'm not sure how to connect it and let it work! I mean....I would have the same problem of the "made by me" LEGO remote control, where do I connect the gamepad plug? to which device? and how do I programm it? do I need a software? (sounds a bit like Mindstorm) I'm sorry but I'm not a geek at computers, gamepads and similar :cry_sad: :cry_sad:

2) design wise the PS3 gamepads (and similar) ar not so cool such a "made by me" LEGO remote control as the pic above!!!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

The fastest and (probably) easiest way to use a gamepad to control SBrick functions should be to enable MFi controllers compatibility within the app!

In this way people should be able to connect an external MFi controller to the iPhone/iPad, using the iDevice as a bridge between the controller itself and the SBrick(s).

I think both Bluetooth MFi Gamepad (like Steelseries Stratus) and Gamepad-covers (like Logitech Powershell) should work well, should the app integrate their support (MFi API are included in iOS SDK).

Using the first solutions, you should be able to keep the phone in your pocket, too!

Edited by Rikus

My review

Sorry, my post was the slowest. Get it too late and have to rebuild current MOCS to Servo engine (M motor is not working well as Sariel noted, but problem will be solved)

Edited by rm8

My review

Sorry, my post was the slowest. Get it too late and have to rebuild current MOCS to Servo engine (M motor is not working well as Sariel noted, but problem will be solved)

Really cool car and video! Thank you! :)

I love the youtube preview image too... :)

Is there any chance that Sbrick works with "regular" Bluetooth? My tablet is the 1st version of Nexus7 that doesn't seem to support BLE...???

Sorry, but no. We going to use BLE

I checked again. Nexus 7 supports Bluetooth 4.0 so it will works for you!

The fastest and (probably) easiest way to use a gamepad to control SBrick functions should be to enable MFi controllers compatibility within the app!

In this way people should be able to connect an external MFi controller to the iPhone/iPad, using the iDevice as a bridge between the controller itself and the SBrick(s).

I think both Bluetooth MFi Gamepad (like Steelseries Stratus) and Gamepad-covers (like Logitech Powershell) should work well, should the app integrate their support (MFi API are included in iOS SDK).

Using the first solutions, you should be able to keep the phone in your pocket, too!

Yes, you are right! :)

Edited by pasztorl

My review

With every review I want it even more. Great job! Light control and especially outside range looks great.

Hmm, I also own a Nexus 7, one of the first versions. I also own a Fairphone. How can I check if my device is supported?