SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

I will merge this topic with the general SBrick topic.

Hello, s-brick is new for me, and I find it more interesting than buwizz, which is less a pure lego thing.

I searched infos on your website, but it only appair their is sbrick and sbrick plus, without specifications.

I would like to know what is the current limitation in comparaison with an official lego ir receptor

They also announced the upcoming Sbrick3 with not much information so far. 

It seems that there will be a whole family of devices coming including motors. They also announced a new app called Sbrick Pro. 

Since Vengit failed to keep their promise regarding Sbrick Plus I’m curious to see if everything will be released eventually.

I’m also curious to see how it will compete compared to the new Lego Control+ and PoweredUp devices.

Edited by tismabrick

On 3/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, LegoTT said:

I would like to know what is the current limitation in comparaison with an official lego ir receptor

Sbrick utilises DRV8833 as their driver IC.

Output is specified as 1.5 Amps continuous and 2A peak.

Max safe continuous voltage is specified as 10.8V for this IC. Absolute max voltage is listed as 11.8V.

3 hours ago, Costas said:

Sbrick utilises DRV8833 as their driver IC.

Output is specified as 1.5 Amps continuous and 2A peak.

Max safe continuous voltage is specified as 10.8V for this IC. Absolute max voltage is listed as 11.8V.

according Philohome stalled current of buggy motor is 3.2A so I need 2 sbricks for use the true power of one motor ?

is 1.5A limit for the total of all the 4 sbrick output or is 1.5A the limit for just one output ?

Specs are for each individual output.

If you use two outputs on the one Sbrick you can double the current capability. You need to be careful when setting it up as it could damage the driver if you program one output differently to the other so not a recommended solution to simply tie the two together.

Just be aware that there are also thermal dissipation limits to consider so you cannot, say use all 4 outputs on the one device and get 4x the current at a continuous rating for prolonged use.

Using two outputs should not be an issue though especially if not using the remaining two outputs or if using the remaining two for low current draw devices (eg led lights etc).

Edited by Costas

Hi Guys,

I'm from SBrick.

I want to do a little update here about the posts above.

Buwizz vs SBrick (not the Plus version)

In general they have almost the same specs but Buwizz includes a powerful internal battery. People usuallty use Buwizz for cars because of the power and the space saved by the integrated battery unit.

SBrick used by more advanced creations which includes more functions since SBrick has more flexible remote control solution and programming features. SBrick also cheaper for one unit, but can be much cheaper when you use multiple SBrick with one power source.

SBrick also can be used with LiPo battery, but the user needs to "hack" a power cable for it, because SBrick has no official solution to connect non-LEGO power source.

The main difference between SBrick and SBrick Plus is that SBrick Plus can handle sensors. All ports not just output (like SBrick and Buwizz) but can handle inputs too. The supported sensors are the WeDo 1.0 proximity and tilt.

Kickstarter

With our second kickstarter we developed not just the SBrick Plus (which is on sale now) but adapters for PF2 (the new wave lego electronics) and EV3 to connect to SBrick and SBrick Plus.

We ready the hardware design, firmware and software modifications more than two years ago. Unfortunately we can't produce them, because we couldn't find any manufacturer to make the adapters in the right quality with a reasonable price.

Now we moved the production to the third company. At the past we worked with "little" manufacturers, but we realized that the quality and avability can be a big problem with them. Our newest partner is a big company called Tungsram.

Since we can't find a manufacturer to make the adapters we opensourced all of our work, so some users can hack the adapters. Now we give a try with Tungsram to produce the adapters, maybe they have the right technology for that.

New wave lego electronics

We wanted to solve the compatibility issue (LEGO don't want to solve this) with the adapters. Since we have manufacturing challenges with it we decided that we also make software compatibility layer too.

We working on a new SBrick driver, itt will include full support for all PF2 devices (like powered up, control+, boost and the wedo 2.0 hub and the connectable devices).

This driver will be included in the current SBrick and the SBrick Pro app.

SBrick Pro app

The SBrick Pro app is designed from the scratch focusing on programming. It also have a more advanced version of the Profile Designer which is integrated inside to the app.

The pro app will work on iOS 10+, iPadOS (all releases), Windows 7+ (in browser) and Android 5+

It will have other also interesting features, but I don't want to spoiler it for now. :)

We have very limited developer capacity, actually we wanted to push it earlier, but we had a lot work to handle all LEGO devices properly. I hope you will see the progress around easter.

SBrick 3 project

We wanted to go a big leap forward and give a competely new hw platform for the building blocks. We wanted to crowdfund the project. We discovered that the crowdfunding is not regulated in Hungary by the law and we don't want to take any risk for our backers, so the project now "paused". We will go forward when we have a resolution for this challenge.

21 hours ago, Costas said:

Thank you

According Philohome the v2 lego recever has the same drv8833 limitation on each port.

Hello, i bought a sbrick since a last year and had no problems at all running on a lego lipo battery pack and the AA battery pack. Last week i decided to upgrade and bought a few 2 lipo batteries (7.4v 45c 2200mAh). They were fine for awhile but after a few days my xl motors started burning, i've burnt at least 3 of thse xl motors now. Isn't the Sbrick's max output current is 1A? Did the motor burnt due to the battery's C rate? i've already contacted lego for 3 replacement xl motors but i just need some information to figure out why did the motors burn, just to prevent it from happening again. I also bought another 20c lipo pack hoping that it won't burn the motors again like the 45c one did. 

Thanks.

Edited by JoshsTechnicWorkshop

On 9/14/2020 at 2:02 AM, JoshsTechnicWorkshop said:

Hello, i bought a sbrick since a last year and had no problems at all running on a lego lipo battery pack and the AA battery pack. Last week i decided to upgrade and bought a few 2 lipo batteries (7.4v 45c 2200mAh). They were fine for awhile but after a few days my xl motors started burning, i've burnt at least 3 of thse xl motors now. Isn't the Sbrick's max output current is 1A? Did the motor burnt due to the battery's C rate? i've already contacted lego for 3 replacement xl motors but i just need some information to figure out why did the motors burn, just to prevent it from happening again. I also bought another 20c lipo pack hoping that it won't burn the motors again like the 45c one did. 

Thanks.

to my understanding the only likely reason this would happen with the motors is if they were under significant load for a sustained time (like stall conditions) that would cause the motors to heat up quickly and potentially cause damage.

On 3/16/2020 at 12:28 PM, pasztorl said:

Hi Guys,

I'm from SBrick.

I want to do a little update here about the posts above.

Buwizz vs SBrick (not the Plus version)

In general they have almost the same specs but Buwizz includes a powerful internal battery. People usuallty use Buwizz for cars because of the power and the space saved by the integrated battery unit.

SBrick used by more advanced creations which includes more functions since SBrick has more flexible remote control solution and programming features. SBrick also cheaper for one unit, but can be much cheaper when you use multiple SBrick with one power source.

SBrick also can be used with LiPo battery, but the user needs to "hack" a power cable for it, because SBrick has no official solution to connect non-LEGO power source.

The main difference between SBrick and SBrick Plus is that SBrick Plus can handle sensors. All ports not just output (like SBrick and Buwizz) but can handle inputs too. The supported sensors are the WeDo 1.0 proximity and tilt.

Kickstarter

With our second kickstarter we developed not just the SBrick Plus (which is on sale now) but adapters for PF2 (the new wave lego electronics) and EV3 to connect to SBrick and SBrick Plus.

We ready the hardware design, firmware and software modifications more than two years ago. Unfortunately we can't produce them, because we couldn't find any manufacturer to make the adapters in the right quality with a reasonable price.

Now we moved the production to the third company. At the past we worked with "little" manufacturers, but we realized that the quality and avability can be a big problem with them. Our newest partner is a big company called Tungsram.

Since we can't find a manufacturer to make the adapters we opensourced all of our work, so some users can hack the adapters. Now we give a try with Tungsram to produce the adapters, maybe they have the right technology for that.

New wave lego electronics

We wanted to solve the compatibility issue (LEGO don't want to solve this) with the adapters. Since we have manufacturing challenges with it we decided that we also make software compatibility layer too.

We working on a new SBrick driver, itt will include full support for all PF2 devices (like powered up, control+, boost and the wedo 2.0 hub and the connectable devices).

This driver will be included in the current SBrick and the SBrick Pro app.

SBrick Pro app

The SBrick Pro app is designed from the scratch focusing on programming. It also have a more advanced version of the Profile Designer which is integrated inside to the app.

The pro app will work on iOS 10+, iPadOS (all releases), Windows 7+ (in browser) and Android 5+

It will have other also interesting features, but I don't want to spoiler it for now. :)

We have very limited developer capacity, actually we wanted to push it earlier, but we had a lot work to handle all LEGO devices properly. I hope you will see the progress around easter.

SBrick 3 project

We wanted to go a big leap forward and give a competely new hw platform for the building blocks. We wanted to crowdfund the project. We discovered that the crowdfunding is not regulated in Hungary by the law and we don't want to take any risk for our backers, so the project now "paused". We will go forward when we have a resolution for this challenge.

Hello,

The SBrick Pro app has been announced for a around 2 years now and I am very excited to use the app, but so far I can't find the app in the App Store or on the SBrick website.

I wonder if I'm looking in the wrong place or if the app hasn't been released yet.

If the latter is the case, I'm not quite sure what I need to do to test the SBrick Pro Beta App.

Thanks.

If I use a regulated voltage, more than a LEGO battery pack, lets say @ sbrick maximum voltage......10.8 volts input, will the controlled speed for motors be greater than LEGO battery pack voltage and it's speed?