SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

Well, the new-new Xbox controller (so not the 'old' Xbox One controller, but the new Xbox One S controller) has Bluetooth aside from the proprietary protocol.

However, after a quick (really quick) google, the Bluetooth feature only works on Windows 10. :hmpf_bad:

Ahh okay, that figures. I read an article about connecting it directly to your pc, but you needed a special brand pc with a certain main board or something. I read it like yesterday or so. Whatever :laugh:

Actually we can support joysticks in two way.

If the joy has BLE 4.0, and we can decode the communication protocol, then we have a chance to create a custom firmware for the SBrick. With this the SBrick can directly communicate with the joypad.

The second solution is that we use the mobile/tablet as a gateway. It will have measurable latency but better compatibility, for example you can use wifi joypads too.

Anyway if somebody know a BLE joypad let me know! :)

For example this may work directly: https://www.amazon.com/Newgame-Wireless-Bluetooth-Controller-Smartphone/dp/B016KXV0AE

They are not shipping to Hungary. :( I searching another reseller for it.

Hi,

I just found this one: http://www.dfrobot.c...d_(SKU:DFR0304)

It's a programmable BLE gamepad, so with using it there is no need to change the SBrick's firmware.

So I suddenly ordered one :)

Nice find.

Maybe I'm reading the posts incorrectly, but wouldn't this still require a firmware update? Lenard said they are working on gamepad support, which will (eventually) work with the SBrick.

Nice find.

Maybe I'm reading the posts incorrectly, but wouldn't this still require a firmware update? Lenard said they are working on gamepad support, which will (eventually) work with the SBrick.

I think the gamepad support was refering to the phone app, but Lenard will correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice find.

Yes, Nice find! If the joypad has programmable firmware it does not matter that you modify the sbrick's fw or the joypad's fw if you want to use it directly.

I've seen Imurvai already had an app for SBrick which using the android's gamepad api to controll SBrick, so He already has a working POC for it.

If the joypad has programmable firmware it does not matter that you modify the sbrick's fw or the joypad's fw if you want to use it directly.

Not sure what you mean by this. Care to elaborate?

To put it simple; does SBrick still need a firmware update for this controller or does it work with the current firmware?

Not sure what you mean by this. Care to elaborate?

To put it simple; does SBrick still need a firmware update for this controller or does it work with the current firmware?

Theoretically no firmware update is needed on the SBrick but without having this controller I'm not 100% sure. There could be compatibility issues and so on...

Yeah... but this controller costs almost like the Sbrick itself. On, my research, I sadly didn't find many BLE gamepad alternatives.

Does the s-brick have a soft start/stop function to compensate for high torque xl motors?

With the control sliders you gonna use in the app you have a soft start integrated.

But it doesn't come with a dedicated soft start function.

Edited by tismabrick

Since I got no answer I have to ask again :)

Any news about the SBrick Plus?

Not yet. :( We are preparing the KS for introducing the SBrick Plus. I will post here when we have news about it.

Does the s-brick have a soft start/stop function to compensate for high torque xl motors?

What do you mean with the "soft start/stop" feature? Can you explain it?

What do you mean with the "soft start/stop" feature? Can you explain it?

Probably easy in/easy out, so the motor doesn't run on full torque from the moment you engage it.

So the new SBrick+ will support sensors. Any more facts you could add?

Since Sariel has posted this information in a video, I think it's safe for me to chime in...

The new SBrick+ (or SBrick Plus) supports the WeDo 1.0 sensors. There's a distance and tilt sensor.

What about Mindstorm sensors?

They need an adapter to connect them to the SBrick Plus. We are working on this, but we need to fund the SBrick Plus first, then we can connect more sensors.

Personally I would like to see thinner sensors that Mindstorms have, for a better fit to Technic creations.

Agree about the thinner sensors. But hey, it's Lego :)

When will the new campain be ready?

For now, we work close with our beta testers to make the software and hardware components work properly. Then we finish our KS video and push the big red button (and continue to work with the new features) :)

We are really close from this, as you seen Sariel's video. I hope we can start it in this month.

I hope you will like the features of the SBrick Plus. SBrick continues to develop and it will has new features too for better gaming experience, SBrick Plus line will extend the education.

There are the WEDO 1.0 sensors, but there are also the very old mindstorms sensors (example: Rotation and touch, there are more, but I would think these are the most interesting ones). Are those also considered?

It would be awesome if Mindstorms servomotor will be supported by SBrick+. Medium servomotor from EV3 set is perfect for steering, because you can adjust angle of motor rotation.

Seeing as I received the link this morning I assume it's fair game to post this.

I've backed it already as I wanted another SBrick, so I thought I may as well get the Plus (and looking at how quickly the Early Bird tier is filling up I'm not the only one). If the lessons from developing the SBrick's hardware and software have been learnt then this should be another useful addition to the burgeoning ecosystem for Lego-compatible controllers.

Edit - Aaaaaaannnnnd it's gone. The Early Birds were quick today!

Edited by Jay Psi

On 9/10/2016 at 1:44 PM, Limga said:

It would be awesome if Mindstorms servomotor will be supported by SBrick+. Medium servomotor from EV3 set is perfect for steering, because you can adjust angle of motor rotation.

Yes, we are going to support NXT/EV3 devices with an adapter which will work with SBrick and SBrick Plus. Sensors will work only with SBrick Plus.

21 minutes ago, pasztorl said:

Yes, we are going to support NXT/EV3 devices with an adapter which will work with SBrick and SBrick Plus. Sensors will work only with SBrick Plus.

Will it be possible to set degrees of EV3/NXT motor's rotation? Or they will work like PF usual motor?