SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

Ok, so in parallel, it wouldnt give any problems, i want to put 4

RC motors at 2 ports, will this be possible?

I'm asking this because i am planning to build a 4 motored racecar,

and the sbricks are expensive, so i want to use only one sbrick.

You can put 2 RC motors in each port. Or 3, or 4... as long as total current on each port stays bellow or equal to 2A per port (it can go above that value, perhaps up to 3A but internal circuits start chopping at 2A effectively reducing the power you give to the motors, see here).

But since you can associate (within the App) the same action to more than one port, you can put each RC motor in its own port and control them in pairs. That will allow 2A in each RC motor... 8A total. If (big IF) you can get 8A from a battery (or a pack of batteries) and if old LEGO 9V cables can withstand 2A each and if SBrick doesn't' overheat with all that power running through... you'll get a hell of a race car.

You said Sbrick is expensive... your batteries will be even more expensive. And RC motors are getting expensive. With all that power you demand, the SBrick price is less of a concern. And please play safe... 8A can be to much for average Lithium batteries, if you use something without internal protection you can get very danger explosions.

8A total. If (big IF) you can get 8A from a battery (or a pack of batteries) and if old LEGO 9V cables can withstand 2A each and if SBrick doesn't' overheat with all that power running through...

This is what I keep thinking. It's good that SBrick is rated higher than the batteries and motors, it means it's unlikely to be the limiting factor. But I worry that muppets will read the "can control all the things" and not realise that just because the SBrick can do it doesn't mean that a 6AA battery box full of cheap disposable batteries can actually power 4 RC motors.

I'd be worried about the Lego power cables overheating, the conductors melting through the insulation and shorting the battery. I've seen that happen with thin wire and a 12V PbS battery and that was annoying but not especially dangerous (a couple of amps, tops). A decent LiIon pack will blow 50A into those connectors if it's allowed to, and hopefully the conductors will evaporate and leave the muppet going "oh noes!" rather than hearing the fizzy bang sound ... that I imagine you get from LiIon cells going up. Yes, imagine. Never heard it myself.

This is what I keep thinking. It's good that SBrick is rated higher than the batteries and motors, it means it's unlikely to be the limiting factor. But I worry that muppets will read the "can control all the things" and not realise that just because the SBrick can do it doesn't mean that a 6AA battery box full of cheap disposable batteries can actually power 4 RC motors.

I'd be worried about the Lego power cables overheating, the conductors melting through the insulation and shorting the battery. I've seen that happen with thin wire and a 12V PbS battery and that was annoying but not especially dangerous (a couple of amps, tops). A decent LiIon pack will blow 50A into those connectors if it's allowed to, and hopefully the conductors will evaporate and leave the muppet going "oh noes!" rather than hearing the fizzy bang sound ... that I imagine you get from LiIon cells going up. Yes, imagine. Never heard it myself.

"Muppets" & sBricks

How condescending.

I still wonder if it will be possible to control Sbrick with any BT game pad, similar to PS or Xbox?

Tried registering at social.sbrick.com, but their reg form is just overkill for for such minor forum.

I still wonder if it will be possible to control Sbrick with any BT game pad, similar to PS or Xbox?

You can, as long as you use a MiFi controller connected to your iPhone!

You can, as long as you use a MiFi controller connected to your iPhone!

While I know what MiFi is I'm not really sure what you wanted to say here... :look:

I can not find how to invert the output of the Sbrick, android

Hello.

When you are editing your set, select your linked SBrick and there is a SBrick at the top with 4 buttons around for inverting the output of each channels.

Hello.

When you are editing your set, select your linked SBrick and there is a SBrick at the top with 4 buttons around for inverting the output of each channels.

Hello,

So these buttons not for switch on or off the outputs

Seems not working perfect

Than you

So these buttons not for switch on or off the outputs

Seems not working perfect

You can test channels, switching each one on/off by tapping over each channel on the Sbrick image. The invert switches are good for inverting the default direction on each control so you don't need to change your design.

v0.16 it's still alpha, very far from perfect. And some channels are wrong, so before you map a control (slide, joystick, button) to a channel test all 4 to be sure which one is which.

There's a topic at SBrick forums just for Android app support, please follow it and feel free to post there. Now that the Sbricks are shipping, we need the App (well, I don't, I'm fine with my python scripts... but the app is still usefull for a quick demo/test).

I got my "shipped" e-mail today, but I don't know if they remembered to combine my two pledges into one package... I guess if I get a second "shipped" e-mail, that will answer the question. :classic:

While I know what MiFi is I'm not really sure what you wanted to say here... :look:

Sorry, I was too short in my reply...!

I meant, you can connect a Bluetooth MiFi controller to your iPhone and connect your iPhone to the SBrick.

By doing so, your iPhone would act as a bridge between the SBrick and the controller, and you'll be able to control your Lego SBrick powered creations from the MiFi controller.

Guys I have a question: as I'm planning to use 2 Sbrick and having 8 functions it would be better to use an Ipad rather than Iphone.....cos with a bigger screen it's easier to control oll the functions!

Now....is it possible to control Sbrick with Ipad 2nd generation? Ipad 3rd generation??

Ok I made myself a quick research......looks like my iPad doesn't support Low energy bluetooth....but my iMac27 late2013 has a 4.0 Bluetooth.....it's that right?? It's the 4.0 version compatible with Sbrick? This means I'll control my mocs with my iMac :tongue: :tongue:

Sorry, I was too short in my reply...!

I meant, you can connect a Bluetooth MiFi controller to your iPhone and connect your iPhone to the SBrick.

By doing so, your iPhone would act as a bridge between the SBrick and the controller, and you'll be able to control your Lego SBrick powered creations from the MiFi controller.

Sorry, still not sure about your reply.

MiFi is a wireless router that acts as mobile Wi-Fi hotspot (according Wikipedia), which normally uses WiFi to communicate with other devices (send/receive data) rather than BT. Cannot figure out how this would work.

I'll simplify my question - is it possible to control Sbrick directly with hardware like game pad and not phone/tablet/pc?

I'll simplify my question - is it possible to control Sbrick directly with hardware like game pad and not phone/tablet/pc?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: one day perhaps. SBrick has a microcontroller inside (not much power, i think is just a variant of the old 8051) and it is possible to upgrade the firmware, even with a custom (non-Vengit) one. So perhaps.

There is always the possibility to use the phone/tablet/pc as a gateway/router/proxy/whatever. BT 4.0 has a long range (100 meter open air) so you can leave your phone/tablet/pc almost anyhwere and use just the gamepad. I believe future SBrick app versions (but not 1.0, there is no time for that) will have that feature, gamepad is much better than touch screen for precise control.

MiFi is a wireless router that acts as mobile Wi-Fi hotspot (according Wikipedia), which normally uses WiFi to communicate with other devices (send/receive data) rather than BT. Cannot figure out how this would work.

He meant an MFi Bluetooth controller..

Apple Inc.'s MFi Program ("Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad") is a licensing program for developers of hardware and software peripherals that work with Apple's iPod, iPad and iPhone, the so-called iDevices. The name is a shortened version of the original long-form Made For iPod.

(Quote from Wikipedia)

The SBrick looks awesome and I'm regretting not getting one during the kickstarter phase, guess I'll have to buy one from the website. :classic:

He meant an MFi Bluetooth controller..

Correct.

Sorry for misspelling...

I meant MFi not MiFi