SBrick Survey  

409 members have voted

1. 1. What is your prefered color for SBrick?

2. 2. What will be your primary LEGO theme used with SBricks?

3. 3. Which feature of SBrick do you like most?

• Stairtop design
    • Works in sunlight
    • Big range
    • Controllable by smartphone (via Bluetooth)
    • Remote control from the Internet
    • Profile designer
    • Child mode
    • Other (please post in this topic)

I'm pretty interested in the programmable firmware. On your website, it is stated that an programmable routine will allow the motors to run without a remote controller. My questions are:

1. Whether this feature is realized by embedding a MCU which means a much higher flexibility for the user to program the routine and means that a routine need not to be a per-determined flow but a flow that can change on-fly based certain conditions.

2. In order to realize the on-fly changing routine, some input from outside world will be necessary. So the next question is that whether the module is possible for a future expansion to include a input port for like sensors?

Since we have no inputs, 'programming' will be something very simple. We currently thinking about the possibility to upload a predetermined "waveform", and make outputs follow that once or repeating it.

You could make a blinking Christmas tree, traffic lights or such, but since the lack of inputs no really advanced programming will be available.

We thought about implementing WeDo sensor support, but for now this seems somewhat out of reach. We will definitely think about it after the campaign and will do everything to make the best out of the pledger's money, and offer as much value as we can. I would be very happy if we could do that. :)

Supported/Backed for the crane kit since i want 2 :) All hail Bluetooth over IR!

Many thanks :) Now, you are part of the project :)

thats some serious engineering, thumbs up, money on the way!

Thank you very much! Keep your fingers cross for us, to reach the goal :)

Question to the developers:

Do you foresee any problems getting the controller app integrated into the official app stores like Google Play store and equivalents?

We send it to Apple last week, now we are waiting for the result, but we don't think it could be problem.

This project looks phenomenal! I've backed it and look forward to see others back this as well. Would love to see this project become a reality!

Frontpaged it to get maximum exposure.

Really looking getting my hands on an SBrick!

I love the idea, but it would just be awesome if you could make it programmable, something like Arduino. It would became like a small mindstorm system, just with the much smaller PF components.

Speaking of that, what about developing some other component too? Like an s-motor or xs-motor.

Another question: how open will the system be? Will you release some tools to customise things like firmware, sdk, etc? What about the hardware?

Edited by msx80

msx80, the sbrick is perfect how it is. for mindstormfunctions, please use mindstorms

msx80, the sbrick is perfect how it is. for mindstormfunctions, please use mindstorms

I agree! This does with it does.

There are a million great ideas, but let's try to get this one released first. Who knows what's next.

I love the idea, but it would just be awesome if you could make it programmable, something like Arduino. It would became like a small mindstorm system, just with the much smaller PF components.

Speaking of that, what about developing some other component too? Like an s-motor or xs-motor.

Another question: how open will the system be? Will you release some tools to customise things like firmware, sdk, etc? What about the hardware?

Some basic programmability will be included, but the lack of input devices and the limitations of the BLE module we use don't allow for a fully user programmable device. The Mindstorms is a big, complex, and of course very expensive system. SBrick aims to be small, simple and cheap.

Motor development is not exactly where our experties lie. We like simple electronics and software development better. However we did play with a few ideas, such as a small camera device. ;)

The app will be fully customizable. You will be able to create custom profiles for any concievable MOC with pixel-perfect graphics - or at least this is what we're aiming for.

The BLE protocol will be open, so you'll be able to build a hardware remote conrtoller with a simple programmable BLE module if that's your thing :)

I agree! This does with it does.

There are a million great ideas, but let's try to get this one released first. Who knows what's next.

Yes. Exactly!

I really hope you make your kickstarter target,is there a back up plan if this fails to reach the £60.000 goal?

I think this can have good use for controlling PF trains at events where sunlight and flourscent lights interferes with IR.

Sounds like a lot of thought went into this thing and it should have a lot of good uses. Supported.

I love that it can be hidden inside a MOC unlike the IR receiver. And that the outputs are effectively doubled while still maintaining about the same footprint.

It mentions programmability. Does this mean I could program a flashing pattern for PF lights and still have manual control over a motor attached to the same SBrick?

Sounds like a lot of thought went into this thing and it should have a lot of good uses. Supported.

I love that it can be hidden inside a MOC unlike the IR receiver. And that the outputs are effectively doubled while still maintaining about the same footprint.

It mentions programmability. Does this mean I could program a flashing pattern for PF lights and still have manual control over a motor attached to the same SBrick?

Yes, you can do that, but a much simpler way. The app already supports several modes to control lights. Working turn signals is a good example. :)

Nice project! I really wonder if it will be possible to control vechicles with simple BT gamepads? I'd love to feel the buttons, not just flat screen.

Nice project! I really wonder if it will be possible to control vechicles with simple BT gamepads? I'd love to feel the buttons, not just flat screen.

To demonstrate the compatibility we replaced the electronics of a standard LEGO 8885 IR remote, to work with SBrick. It's working, but it has "some" limitations compared with a flat screen.

But.. I think the ultimate solution is exists. We can support easily hardware gamepads which designed for using with mobile like these:

logitech_powershell_hands-on_sg_1.jpg

So you can use the hardware buttons/joypad, and you also can use the screen for extra functions like streaming video from our CamBrick.. ;)

Yes, we playing with stuff like this, but we only have an early stage development version now.

Can you show me what is your favourite BT gamepad? I'll check out how can we support it.

Can you show me what is your favourite BT gamepad? I'll check out how can we support it.

None at this moment, but some popular one, like PS3 controller, would be very nice.

None at this moment, but some popular one, like PS3 controller, would be very nice.

Hmm.. I think it's possible. I need a PS3 controller to test it.

Really interesting, I'd like to get one, but I don't have the spare money to kickstart it :look: sorry :blush:

I think this project has a lot of potential, keep going with it :sweet:

Really interesting, I'd like to get one, but I don't have the spare money to kickstart it :look: sorry :blush:

I think this project has a lot of potential, keep going with it :sweet:

You can share this project with your friends. Popularity is a big help on funding!

The minimal pledge is 1 BGP. Every pledge is important because of the pledges engage the popularity on kickstarter.

Which android phones will support it?

Say if I want to have my 7yr old use an old droid

We running on BLE4 so if your phone has Bluetooth 4.0 in the spec it will be fine!

We have chosen BLE4, because of it's power saving features.

Edited by pasztorl

I'm keen. I'm also bugging Mark about options for multiple units. I'd like more than 1, obviously, because I'm multiplexing channels with the IR controllers already. Being able to power 8 motors from the space used by two IR receivers is a great step forward. But to do that... you need two of the SBricks. Maybe I should get four rather than two. Hmm. The problem is that prices go up as you order more, rather than down. Buy one for 29, two for 35 each, three for 40 each... should I expect to pay 45 each if I buy four?

We running on BLE4 so if your phone has Bluetooth 4.0 in the spec it will be fine! We have chosen BLE4, because of it's power saving features.

It's an excellent choice even though it means I'll have to upgrade my phone. BLE4 is pretty new, so phones more than a year or two old are very unlikely to support it.

Presumably the system doesn't require line of sight since the SBrick can be hidden inside a MOC; for me that's a big advantage over LEGO's IR system right there.

Kudos to the SBrick team for developing such an interesting and affordable product - great job !

I've supported; only the £29 option so far, but now I'm seriously tempted to go for the Volvo as well....

Fingers crossed the goal is reached - spread the word, people !

D.

Some basic programmability will be included, but the lack of input devices and the limitations of the BLE module we use don't allow for a fully user programmable device. The Mindstorms is a big, complex, and of course very expensive system. SBrick aims to be small, simple and cheap.

Motor development is not exactly where our experties lie. We like simple electronics and software development better. However we did play with a few ideas, such as a small camera device. ;)

The app will be fully customizable. You will be able to create custom profiles for any concievable MOC with pixel-perfect graphics - or at least this is what we're aiming for.

The BLE protocol will be open, so you'll be able to build a hardware remote conrtoller with a simple programmable BLE module if that's your thing :)

Yes. Exactly!

Agree iwth efferman that the SBRICK is perfect enough for it is now. However, if the coding of the instructions sent to the SBRICK through bluetooth can be published later, it would be possible for other new SBRICK like modules to be developed. What I can think about now is that if the coding is known, then another module which contains a more powerful microcontroller + bluetooth communication can be developed so that a more sophisticated program can be loaded to the MCU module and the MCU module just send the instructions in the same format as your smart phone does through a wireless way to the SBRICK module. Of course, then other modules like camera modules, sensor modules, gyro modules can be gradually developed, each in a SBRICK like block or even smaller. Then the modules can be placed or hidden in the appropriate places of the MOC. It sounds like that it will work like a mindstorm, but each module will be more compact and can be better integrated into a Technic MOC.