Rufus

Contest Turtle Contest - Discussion Thread

Hey, I'm new to Eurobricks, and I seem to be having issues posting.

When I tried to post my second entry, it kept getting appended to my previous post. Is that a feature of these forums? How do I separate the posts besides waiting for someone else to post before I throw my second entry in?

Thanks!

Advice for the new members:

If you have several entries that you wish to post, please wait 1 hour or more between each post, or else your posts will be merged in one.

Thanks.

Almost finished with my entry, and I'll hopefully have it posted by the end of the week. :classic:

1000th post! :sweet:

How hard a rule is the no overhang part? I just realized mine has maybe hair of overhang on one end. I can do one of 2 things to rectify this but if it is allowed I'd like to keep my picture how it is.

EDIT: Can someone tell me if this is little amount of overhang will be ok?

14849259195_ae22de1c6a_z.jpg

Edited by Tech Artist

Is there a restriction on how long someone has to have been a member of the forum in order to participate? I joined on July 22nd of this year and I have a few ideas for entries, but I'm not certain if I'm allowed.

How hard a rule is the no overhang part? I just realized mine has maybe hair of overhang on one end. I can do one of 2 things to rectify this but if it is allowed I'd like to keep my picture how it is.

EDIT: Can someone tell me if this is little amount of overhang will be ok?

I you turn it 45°, does it fit?

Is there a restriction on how long someone has to have been a member of the forum in order to participate? I joined on July 22nd of this year and I have a few ideas for entries, but I'm not certain if I'm allowed.

There is no such restriction. Show us your turtles :classic:

I you turn it 45°, does it fit?

I actually never thought of that. It fits perfectly when I do that. So I can leave it as it is! Horray! =)

Hello Everyone! I am truly blown away at the creativity and awesomeness and huge VARIETY of your turtles!! Just a quick note, here in the 11th hour - if for some reason the only time you could take your original submission photo was on a dark and foggy night with a very old cell phone camera, there is still a little bit of time to replace your photo with a better one. Having a great photo increases your chances of getting votes in the next round, which means you'll be one step closer to winning or at the very least to having your turtle featured on our poster of turtle awesomeness!!

A huge thank you to all of you for sharing your creativity with us and good luck in the voting round!

Can I just say that this contest has given me the LEGO itch again. Who would have thought that something so simple of a task can produce such varied results?

Just curious if it has been decided how many turtles will be featured on the poster?

Just curious if it has been decided how many turtles will be featured on the poster?

It hasn't been decided, as we wanted to leave some leeway for the poster designer. What we do know is that the poster will feature the top 3 and then as many of the other awesome turtles as the poster designer wants to use. There are so many good ones, that we will definitely encourage the designer to use as many as possible!

The contest is now closed to entries. I'll get the voting thread up as soon as possible.

What? It's over? I had like 3 more turtles to enter :cry_sad:

Oh well. Thanks for hosting this contest, guys!

-Sci

It's over? So soon. I was just working on removing the background from my entry in Photoshop when I found it had just closed. And I guess there is no leeway for stragglers? Darn it. (I may just go ahead and post it here, anyways.

TRTL P3C4N:

TRTL P3C4N

Edited by ProfessorBrickkeeper

I have a problem, some of entry's images don't load for me even when page is loaded, what do I do? I cant vote before seeing all entries.

Edited by BuilderMax

I have a problem, some of entry's images don't load for me even when page is loaded, what do I do? I cant vote before seeing all entries.

You can always go through the entry thread, and use the post number from the top of each post minus one.

For example, if this post were an entry, and you wanted to vote for me, you could say:

116 Rufus (3 points)

:grin:

Just be careful not to vote for disqualified entries, which should be indicated at the bottom of the post.

If a lot of people have this problem, I'll try splitting the index post (but no guarantee that'll fix your problem).

All voters and contestants please read

14884201255_e53ca3d46b_o.jpg14861221116_024b77b218_o.jpg

It has been brought to my attention that entries number 25 and 71 feature parts exclusive to Licensed sets, which are explicitly forbidden in The LEGO Group's official rules.

As such, they will not be eligible for entry onto the shortlist. As voting has started, I will let people continue to cast votes for them for 'bragging rights', but they will not be placed on the shortlist even if they gain enough votes.

If you've voted for either of these and wish to change you vote, you may do so by editing your post up till the voting deadline on 24 August.

Thank you.

You can always go through the entry thread, and use the post number from the top of each post minus one.

For example, if this post were an entry, and you wanted to vote for me, you could say:

116 Rufus (3 points)

:grin:

Just be careful not to vote for disqualified entries, which should be indicated at the bottom of the post.

If a lot of people have this problem, I'll try splitting the index post (but no guarantee that'll fix your problem).

Ok, thanks for explaining!

Edited by BuilderMax

H

All voters and contestants please read

14884201255_e53ca3d46b_o.jpg14861221116_024b77b218_o.jpg

It has been brought to my attention that entries number 25 and 71 feature parts exclusive to Licensed sets, which are explicitly forbidden in The LEGO Group's official rules.

As such, they will not be eligible for entry onto the shortlist. As voting has started, I will let people continue to cast votes for them for 'bragging rights', but they will not be placed on the shortlist even if they gain enough votes.

If you've voted for either of these and wish to change you vote, you may do so by editing your post up till the voting deadline on 24 August.

Thank you.

Hey Rufus,

Also noticed licences items on the following entries:

32 Star Wars Imperial Scout helmet

35 and 55 use the Toy Story army men helmet

37 Star Wars Imperial helmet

66 Toy Story Buzz wings

120 Star Wars astromech head

220 Sponge Bob bun

235 Star Wars Battle droid heads

Probably too late but I thought I would note what I noticed.

The toy story army men helmet was used in a non-licensed set, albeit in black. Not sure if that makes a difference though.

Official ruling on Licensed parts

There has been extensive discussion on Eurobricks and at The LEGO Group, and is has been decided that Licensed parts will be allowed provided they do not explicitly represent the Licensed Theme from which they are taken.

This means that the turtle shell in entry number 25, and all the entries listed in the posts above are allowable, but unfortunately the Batarang in entry number 71 is not.

Entry number 25 is henceforth eligible for the shortlist. You may of course change your votes up to the voting deadline.

Any further queries will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Thanks for your patience: this contest is the first time such a collaboration has taken place.

Please read the voting rules carefully!

• Maximum 3 votes per entry
  • Maximum 3 votes per entrant
  • Maximum 9 votes total

If you don't adhere to these rules, none of your votes will count! You may edit your vote up to the voting deadline on 24 August.

Misread this for a second and thought I could only vote 3 times in total because I'd only submitted one turtle. :blush:

There has been extensive discussion on Eurobricks and at The LEGO Group, and is has been decided that Licensed parts will be allowed provided they do not explicitly represent the Licensed Theme from which they are taken.

Wonderful news! Thanks a lot to everyone who was involved in this discussion!

I must say I had completely overlooked this aspect of the contest rules. And I’m totally fine with my “Bat-Turtle” being disqualified as I can see now how entries representing ideas taken from existing IP could cause issues, in particular with the poster project (not that I think my entry was worthy of the honor!).

The decision to accept the licensed pieces - provided their usage is not associated with the IP they were initially taken from - is very much in the spirit of the creativity LEGO should inspire. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Appreciate the contest rule update! I just wish I could have voted for more!