Rufus

Contest Turtle Contest - Discussion Thread

Wow, this is a wonderful contest, and I have no doubt it will provide us with loads little creative turtles. I'm very pleased to see that I can enter digital models!

A little question: does the entry has to depict only a bare turtle, or can it be part of something greater. e.g. would a stone turtle with a stand like a statue still be okay, or would the entry have to be just the stone turtle?

If I'm not mistaken, I read about the rule for using "only non-license lego part" for this contest? Now it's been removed?

Wow, this is a wonderful contest, and I have no doubt it will provide us with loads little creative turtles. I'm very pleased to see that I can enter digital models!

A little question: does the entry has to depict only a bare turtle, or can it be part of something greater. e.g. would a stone turtle with a stand like a statue still be okay, or would the entry have to be just the stone turtle?

it's ok as long as it fits onto an 8x8 plate.

If I'm not mistaken, I read about the rule for using "only non-license lego part" for this contest? Now it's been removed?

Nope, it hasn't been removed (or it shouldn't have been anyway) - only non-licensed - which means those with, for example, Star Wars or TMNT bits will be disqualified when it comes to the judging. So please bear that in mind.

Nope, it hasn't been removed (or it shouldn't have been anyway) - only non-licensed - which means those with, for example, Star Wars or TMNT bits will be disqualified when it comes to the judging. So please bear that in mind.

Thank you for the clarification again! Cheers!

So I'll have to replace Poly's tail as I used a lightsaber hilt :sceptic:

So I'll have to replace Poly's tail as I used a lightsaber hilt :sceptic:

I don't think lightsaber hilts are licensed. They've been used in non-licensed sets. I think licensed parts are only specific parts to the IP, that are not used in any other theme (like the TMNT turtle shells I presume, or Stormtrooper helmets). That's my understand of it anyway.

I don't think lightsaber hilts are licensed. They've been used in non-licensed sets. I think licensed parts are only specific parts to the IP, that are not used in any other theme (like the TMNT turtle shells I presume, or Stormtrooper helmets). That's my understand of it anyway.

I used the curved lightsaber part, that was only seen in SW and Ninjago sets

So to clarify, is there a way to determine if a part is considered licensed or non-licensed?

If a part has been used in a non-licensed set, is that part considered non-licensed even if it was originally created for a license e.g. is the (Star Wars) battle droid torso (30375) considered non-licensed because it's been used in LEGO movie sets (e.g. Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!), a few Christmas sets and even a couple of city sets.

If a part has been used in a non-licensed set, is that part considered non-licensed even if it was originally created for a license e.g. is the (Star Wars) battle droid torso (30375) considered non-licensed because it's been used in LEGO movie sets (e.g. Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!), a few Christmas sets and even a couple of city sets.

Also, does color matter with regards to determining if a part is considered licensed vs non-licensed? For example, if the battle droid torso in my example above is considered non-licensed, does this apply to it regardless of color as there are some colors in which this this part has only been produced as part of a licensed set e.g. dark red?

(Can you tell which part and in which color I want to use within my turtle :))

Ohhhhhh, crud. I have two Star Wars entries and just noticed the "no licensed" rule. One of my entries has a Clone Trooper sitting on the Turtle--is that bad? Another has Han Solo in the photo (not part of the entry, he's just there for decoration) and a SW printed piece--also bad?

Edit: Yargh. I just re-read the rules and saw that licensed themes aren't allowed. I guess that kills both of my Star Wars entries. I'll leave them in here for fun anyway, but...gahhhhhh.

Edited by ResIpsaLoquitur

Looking through the great entries so far I have noticed that a few people are using Printed and Licensed parts as well as making the turtles larger than the 8x8 footprint (height excepted), people need to read the rules carefully. Not to take anything away from the their builds as some are amazing, people need to be aware that they will be disqualified from the finial voting. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

If you unsure about your build read the rules again very carefully, double check your creation. If your still unclear read though this topic if you question has been answered and if all else fails ask the question in this thread.

Specific questions re my entry:

Is it within the size limits? The tiniest bit of the nose may overhang. If it is too much I will rotate the head to 90 degrees so there is no possible overhang, or remodel.

Are the printed eye pieces OK or not? if they are not OK, I will find an alternative and resubmit

Cheers

14495119959_4411b6ecf4_o.png

Is it within the size limits? The tiniest bit of the nose may overhang. If it is too much I will rotate the head to 90 degrees so there is no possible overhang, or remodel.

Are the printed eye pieces OK or not? if they are not OK, I will find an alternative and resubmit

Cheers

I'm interested if the printed eye elements are OK or not? I just keep away from any printed or licensed part as this is how I interpreted the rules, and to make sure I was not disqualified at all. Plenty of people are using them and they are a great printed element but a lot of people are going to be disappointed if they are not allowed. :hmpf_bad:

All entries will be entered in a raffle for a signed Exo Suit set (excluding the winners who receive a set).

Does the word "Entries" here refer to each turtle or the person who is submitting it? For example, if I submit two turtles, does that count as two entries for the raffle?

I am a new user (long-time lurker)and have just registered to enter this competition! If I ever get the image uploads sorted out, it should be fun. :)

Edited by anguauberwald

Advice for the new members:

If you have several entries that you wish to post, please wait 1 hour or more between each post, or else your posts will be merged in one.

Thanks.

Argg! 8x8 is so small !

Can we have it be on a log? (lego built)

you can have it on a log, as long as it fits on an 8x8 plate.

Cheers

14495119959_4411b6ecf4_o.png

printed eyes are ok. and your turtle looks ok to me size-wise, but it will be up to the judges in the end.

Thanks for clarifying julocka, that the printed eye tile is OK will probably put a few minds at ease :) Totally appreciate that it's up to the judges, just used my entry as an example for the questions.

BTW - there are some really cool and inventive designs in the entry thread, some ideas that have made me smile. Nice turtle construction all round.

Edited by ummester

FINALLY got around to photographing my entry. :sweet:

Originally, I was going to limit myself to "only parts used in Ninjago sets", but then I realized that was not going to work for a variety of reasons. :blush: I still managed to keep it mostly to within parts from Ninjago, that has to count for something, right? :tongue:

For those interested, a link to the version with less-blocky wings. :wink:

Hey, I'm new to Eurobricks, and I seem to be having issues posting.

When I tried to post my second entry, it kept getting appended to my previous post. Is that a feature of these forums? How do I separate the posts besides waiting for someone else to post before I throw my second entry in?

Thanks!