Rufus

Contest Turtle Contest - Discussion Thread

gallery_6705_159_126620.jpg

Welcome to the LEGO® and Eurobricks Turtle Competition!

To celebrate the coming release of the LEGO® Ideas Exo Suit by Peter Reid, The LEGO Group is teaming up with Eurobricks and we’re going turtle crazy! We invite you to build the coolest tiny turtle you can and submit it to our Turtle Competition! You can win a signed copy of the Exo Suit, a very cool Exo Suit T-shirt or maybe your turtle will be on an exclusive turtle poster that will be given only to those whose turtles are included or who attend the fan event at Skærbæk in September.

Contest Rules

• The contest is open to all users 18 years and older holding a Eurobricks account.
  • To submit an entry: Entrants must design and build a turtle (the creature). The turtle may be generic or based on any non-licensed LEGO theme. Additionally, it must fit onto an 8x8 stud square with no overhang.
  • Your turtle must be photographed on plain white background. (please do not photograph the turtle on the base, the 8x8 base is just a size guideline).
  • Multiple entries are allowed.
  • Post each entry in a single post in the Entry Thread. Only one picture is allowed per entry, but you may link to other pictures (eg. on flickr). Text background to accompany your entry is allowed.
  • Only official, unmodified LEGO® parts may be used: no clone brands or customs please. No decals are allowed, official or custom.
  • No digital entries please.
  • The contest begins July 15, 2014 at 15:00 Central European Time. The competition is open for submissions until August 10, 2014 at 15:00 CET. Entries submitted to Eurobricks after this date and time will not be accepted into the contest.
  • Eurobricks members who joined on or before July 14, 2014 23:59 CET will be eligible to vote for their favourite entries between August 11 and August 24 2014.
  • The top vote-getters will form a shortlist to be judged by The LEGO Group's jury between August 25-September 1. TLG reserve the right to include any turtles of our choosing in the final round.
  • Winners will be announced September 5.
  • This is a collaboration between The LEGO Group and Eurobricks. Both parties reserve the right to adjust these rules as necessary.

gallery_6705_159_10550.jpg

Prizes

1st prize - Signed Exo Suit set and exclusive T shirt

2nd prize - Signed Exo Suit set

3rd prize - Exclusive t-shirt

Runners-up (the number yet to be decided) will be included on a poster. The poster will be sent to all of those whose turtle makes the poster and will also be distributed as an exclusive gift at the Skærbæk Fan Event in Denmark in September.

All entries will be entered in a raffle for a signed Exo Suit set (excluding the winners who receive a set).

We ask that you please keep the set built in case further photography is required.

The Jury will consist of:

• Peter Reid, creator of the Exo Suit
  • Mark Stafford, the LEGO Designer who created the final model
  • Karen Frost Sørensen, Project Manager, LEGO Ideas.

Please read the terms & conditions in full here.

Happy building!

Any questions? Please ask in this thread.

Heh. This is an interesting contest. I'll have to come up with a few... things.

-Sci

Hmm Sounds like a cool contest, thanks for holding it EB and TLG. The "have to fit on 8x8 stud square size", limitation ofcourse gives some challenge on how to build the turtle and how it will look like. But will have to try out something

Silly question perhaps but I've rather enthusiastically completed my entry. Can I post now, or must I wait until the official 3pm CET (2pm GMT) to post my entry?

This might be a silly question but... is it legal building techniques only? Or can we use illegal techniques? Not that it matters too much to me, but might be useful to know

But what a cool contest and a great excuse for me to try building something out of random small parts normally found on my desk. I have a ton of ideas for turtles right now, now to build them! :grin:

Here are some sketch models to get everyone's building juices flowing:

14678383613_4d315674bc_z.jpg

I really never thought in my life build a LEGO turtle! This is a very funny challenge for AFOLs all over the world. I'm out, but we'll se many interesting stuff.

Ok this sounds like a lot of fun! Count me in! :classic:

Yea, I'll throw an effort in. My wife has some pet turtles, so it will be fun trying to replicate them in bricks and/or LDD :)

Ok it's so cool this contest but when i read this...

" Intellectual property rights

By entering this competition you accept that the ownership and all intellectual property rights to your entryare automatically awarded and transferred to LEGO SystemA/S, Aastvej1, 7190 Billund, Denmark without any limitations.

You will not receive any payment for the transfer of your entry or any intellectual property rights, nor will you receive any payment for any products that may be sold in connection hereto.

The LEGO Group can use the entry and any intellectual rights deriving from the turtles without any limitations via all forms of media now known or hereafter devised (including on http://www. ReBrick.LEGO.com), worldwide, in perpetuity, without notice to you and without compensation."

Linked from here http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97780

This isn't cool... use Afol Ideas without at least say thanks or put the name of the creator if Lego use the creation is not very nice.

However, I want to participate and give my contribution

Edited by Devid

Can I be slightly picky and ask why its a turtle?? Its a tortoise in the offered set, as tortoise go on land........ :look:

Still, cool prizes and such!!

This might be a silly question but... is it legal building techniques only? Or can we use illegal techniques? Not that it matters too much to me, but might be useful to know

illegal building techniques are ok, but do please try to avoid the kragle. :-)

illegal building techniques are ok, but do please try to avoid the kragle. :-)

Kragle? I'd never ever use such a frowned upon thing on my LEGO, so no need to worry about that appearing in my entries. I'm not Lord Business you know :grin:

Anyway, I have my first entry up already!

Hmmm...

Yet another contest with a very tight deadline.

Turtle, eh? What a peculiar choice for a theme. Interesting though - I'll have to see what I can do.

Is the white background mandatory? My turtle is mostly white, and I can get a good picture of it against a white background :sceptic:

Is the white background mandatory? My turtle is mostly white, and I can get a good picture of it against a white background :sceptic:

We're requiring the white background due to the poster that we'll be making, so please give it a try against white. You can always use Flickr to show us alternate backgrounds.

We're requiring the white background due to the poster that we'll be making, so please give it a try against white. You can always use Flickr to show us alternate backgrounds.

I understand. I did some more shoots and got a nice result :classic:

Dang it, I only know how to build tortoises... Seeing that this is clearly a "Turtle" contest, this thing will be without me... :hmpf_bad: What of the poor toirtoise, it needs some love too! :cry_sad:

Jokes apart, that's a very nice contest! Hopefully it will push creativity in many... unexpected ways... :devil: