Rick

2015 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

189 Euros.

When I compare the prices in Denmark with those in Italy, it seems the prices here are 17-27% higher than in Italy. In that case the price will somewhere between DKK 1650 and 1800 - as much as EUR 240.

I'm only interested in the 2 smaller of diving and the starter set of space.

A lot of money saving that I can spend in Friends, Junior and Creator sets

Edited by El Garfio

Of the new City sets, I am only interested in the City Square and the space starter set.

As for the price of the City Square, with any luck, it will show up here in Australia at a retailer like MYER that does regular sales and I can pick one up at a reasonable price...

Edited by jonwil

Seems like it's about the same size as 10680 Garbage truck, which is a set with a € 20 RRP.

Hmm, I think you could be right about that. Somehow I had in my mind the garbage truck was a bit cheaper, but it's indeed 20 euro RRP (around 16 euro retail at quite a few shops).

Have to think about it, not convinced, though I like the set better than the garbage truck. That massive chassis-brick is basically of no use to me while it without doubt makes up quite a bit of that RRP...

++++++++

The summer wave of City still does absolutely nothing for me. Well, okay, that city square does look appetizing but wow, what a pricetag. If I'm going to spend that kind of money on a Lego set, it has to be something more subtantial, like a Modular or a nice big Technic set. My budget is reserved for the latter this year, it's going to be that Arocs.

Ah, but for that price tag you get a Lego store and a car dealer......a first for city and a first for 50 years in Lego since the old TP sets.

Ah, but for that price tag you get a Lego store and a car dealer......a first for city and a first for 50 years in Lego since the old TP sets.

And another tram :grin: - in total 1683 parts, significantly fewer (but most likely also bigger) bricks than you find in the Modular buildings. But more expensive. And still a very interesting and tempting set. It is really a dilemma... :oh:

And another tram :grin: - in total 1683 parts, significantly fewer (but most likely also bigger) bricks than you find in the Modular buildings. But more expensive. And still a very interesting and tempting set. It is really a dilemma... :oh:

Ah, again.....might I point out LEGO Store.....it's a brand name so license fee ! :laugh:

Since I'm not buying space or deep sea diving sets......city square is a no brainer for me.....sold ! :grin:

Still not tempted, lightningtiger. It's a nive set and I see where part of that pricetag is coming from, but we've progressed from 70/80-ish euro to past 100 and now to almost 200 euro. And that simply is "more substantial sets" money to me. Meaning: not a cobbled together hopschotch of builds that would have been way more interesting on their own as seperate sets.

Now, that would have been an interesting summer wave: those builds as separate sets. That would have been a no brainer to me: every week another addition. Hmmm...

Still not tempted, lightningtiger. It's a nive set and I see where part of that pricetag is coming from, but we've progressed from 70/80-ish euro to past 100 and now to almost 200 euro. And that simply is "more substantial sets" money to me. Meaning: not a cobbled together hopschotch of builds that would have been way more interesting on their own as seperate sets.

Now, that would have been an interesting summer wave: those builds as separate sets. That would have been a no brainer to me: every week another addition. Hmmm...

True, separate sets would be a better idea but Lego has decided to fleece as many people as they can I guess.......take my money ! :laugh:

If I remember correctly, the City Square will be 180 Euros here in Germany.

On the one hand it's of course a lot of money you have to pay at one time for only one set - that can't be denied. And some of the sets' contents - the TV heli, the flatbed truck, the civilian cars and the "open air garage" - would easily sell seperately, too.

But on the other hand I'm sure that we would never get a car dealership and a coffee chain. And perhaps even not a Lego Store and a new tram with station. If not in this mega-set together with all that other stuff. The simple reason is that the target audience of City sets are kids. And if a car dealership would be sold seperately, there wouldn't be enough customers that that set would be profitable. So the only chance to give us AFOLs these great civilian buildings is to pack them in a set with a lot of action stuff so that JFOLs like the set, too, and so they or their parents buy it. Plus if you sum up the seperate prices of all set contents on their own, you would come to the conclusion that this mega-set is less expensive than if you would have to buy all contents seperately.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

city square is also a must buy for me, and its gonna be a double purchase :classic:

The best of city square was the play mat (that unfortunately is not included).

I'm not interested into the Tram. Due to it, I think I can replicate de buildings (except the green Futuron of course) with my bricks or with only few pick a brick purchases.

Props to El Garfio because that farm is amazing!!! Great job bro. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As for the city sets themselves, I'm really liking the big boat / sunken wreckage set in the Deep Sea Explorers line and I love the little yellow runway carts in the Space line. The Space starter pack is great as well, but the only let down however is the City square. It is more vehicle based than building based (surprise, surprise) but the Lego Movie themed coffee kiosk is welcomed. So the only City sets I will be buying this year are one of the Demolition sets and the Advent Calendar. (Still waiting on pictures for the calendar though.)

The Juniors construction set is cool too, so that might be a buy as well. (is it weird to say that I have always wanted one of those blinking arrow signs in Lego form?) :laugh_hard:

Edited by Legocity2713

I really, really want LEGO® to release a new hospital. I was obsessed with the whole medical line that included a rescue heli, ambulance, doctor's car, and hospital… However, the hospital seemed like not much thought was put into it (a simple tower on top of a fairly large castle baseplate part. I'd really like to see them come up with an amazing hospital… But the only way that would happen would be if they threw it in the mix with the higher priced sets such as Cafe Corner and that Chinese Theater, which I don't expect them to do.

At least they could release a fairly decent hospital in the LEGO® CITY line.

On the one hand it's of course a lot of money you have to pay at one time for only one set - that can't be denied. And some of the sets' contents - the TV heli, the flatbed truck, the civilian cars and the "open air garage" - would easily sell seperately, too.

That's easy to say from an AFOL point of view when we enjoy collecting, but the City line-up is more or less geared to selling narratives. Products like the Town/City Square work because children can create more exciting stories out-the-box from a single purchase, which itself is appealing as a birthday or christmas gift (like the police and fire stations). In other words, the sum of parts is far greater value.

Taking the garage as an example, if TLG released this model or one similar on its own, it would probably struggle to sell due to the price range. You're probably talking at least £34.99 for a set that size, and even then all you have is a garage/showroom and a couple of cars. The pick-up truck is then needed to complete the story, and so the price increases... Comparing the eventual price to other City sets, there are just more 'complete' alternatives.

A more substantial scene would appeal to parents even if more expensive because of perceived value for money. Sadly, that's just how the market works and TLG really has helped define it.

Edited by nesquik

€70 sets are hard to sell in Spain even for Christmas. Due to it the malls and shops have to do several promotional offers for selling them.

A €185 set, directly is not going to be find in shops. Only some hobby stores are going to offer it and not for €185, but for €200 approx

I don't know if finally I'm going to buy it, but if I do, I see me looking for it in German online shops.

I can tell everyone at least in Oz that City Square will be available in ALL Lego retailers (general release NO exclusive rights).

Though outside of Australia who knows ?

Just got an e-mail saying the early access for VIP members for the Ferris Wheel is open. Anyone getting this set?

I think it will look beautiful for display, but with the prices of other sets that I'm looking forward to, I think I'll pass on the Ferris Wheel (it's GBP 149.99).