Rick

2015 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I'm not underwhelmed with City Square at all......it will go perfectly with TS from 2013.......I wonder if that was the idea similar to the modular buildings to go together in a series ? :wink:

Or the fact we have so much police and fire services there was a need for a set to give cops and fire fighters jobs to do ? :wink:

Edit - I might have just worked out those red hinge pieces......they are the backs of tyre & rim displays.

Edit No. 2 - flatbed truck uses same rims but different tyre profile to the cars around it.

Edited by lightningtiger

I'm not happy with something to do with City Square.....it just dawned on me......where the basic idea come from Cussoo Mini Shops Project.....the one that reach 10K but was rejected by Lego......I wonder what other ideas have been stolen from other AFOL's.

I don't mind having ideas used by Lego, but at least say something about where the original concept come from.

I have made and shared this car dealer 3 years ago.

401986_361577870522947_1812071721_n.jpg?oh=e7c82de459ce91e170cd6ce6cdc485f8&oe=55637E43&__gda__=1432841674_1a54cd534447200140674265adc7ab62

394759_361577813856286_513141252_n.jpg?oh=42dc8df5525bc0ee3aba7ca9eaa6b3f7&oe=5525514B

375384_361577763856291_917940362_n.jpg?oh=10f374c676343837ef008e45a88d6ad9&oe=55599AEB&__gda__=1431871290_1927fb9c815e7238f6c487247f5aa228

Well, you haven't been the only one......

000000_avalonia_city_2014_1099.jpg

And that formed part of a display which Lego reps view my handy work.....May 2014.

Now to stay on target, do I spy in the car showroom new 4 wide panels in trans clear or not ?

Edit - not......it appears to be only 2 wide 5 high bricks in trans-clear.

Edit No.2 - I have the answer for the overhang.......a sliding wall/window to drive cars in and out of the showroom, note look closely at the bottom floor a one stud gap is between the two 6 wide 5 high trans clear panels.....gee, someone was working overtime on that one at Lego. :laugh:

Edited by lightningtiger

I have made and shared this car dealer 3 years ago.

401986_361577870522947_1812071721_n.jpg?oh=e7c82de459ce91e170cd6ce6cdc485f8&oe=55637E43&__gda__=1432841674_1a54cd534447200140674265adc7ab62

394759_361577813856286_513141252_n.jpg?oh=42dc8df5525bc0ee3aba7ca9eaa6b3f7&oe=5525514B

375384_361577763856291_917940362_n.jpg?oh=10f374c676343837ef008e45a88d6ad9&oe=55599AEB&__gda__=1431871290_1927fb9c815e7238f6c487247f5aa228

This one is very, véry different... first, yours is a cornerbuilding..and second, your version has the car on streetlevel.... :grin:

This one is very, véry different... first, yours is a cornerbuilding..and second, your version has the car on streetlevel.... :grin:

Very true, though I think in the CS one you can place the car either on top or bottom floors.....but again need more pictures.

Edit - note that the two Lego shop guys and the coffee chain girl appear to have all new torsos.

Edit No. 2 - by the way it's really amazing how some ideas well.......

LEGO-City-LEGO-Shop.jpg

Remember Pekko's design......10K it got and turned down by Lego......and look what happens eh ? :devil:

Edited by lightningtiger

High quality video from the Nuremberg fair, the first minute is City:

I am pretty excited about the City Square set. It goes well with the 2013 town square set, and there is so much additional stuff. I could have done without the flatbed truck, and the service station is a bit too plain to go with modulars, but I really like the rest.

ETA: I am just noticing that the City Square set comes with a husky. Great, so I won't have to get the Advent calendar. ;-)

Edited by sgeureka

Totally agree with vorkosigan , the helicopter looks great and has great colors , but I'm also sick of helicopters . They should look for more planes options " We need more planes Lego !!!!!!" , they should chosen kind of a Catalina plane for this them . The market it's overflowed with helicopters , and I think they will be a point where we will all feel overwhelm about it and won't just buy them anymore . I guess for now I'll just this one and make it a plane !

Edited by danimarroquin

LOVE the Diving sets, at least what we've seen thus far.... But I can't be the only one that's a bit frustrated with the figures' color scheme not matching that of their vehicles???! Wish they were blue & yellow like the ship.

Well the Divers theme from the 90s had yellow subs with red and black figures. The main difference is these have more black than red. I want to see higher resolution pictures of these sets before I judge this.

Ah, but it's a news copter reporting on road conditions, etc., it could been worse there could have been another police car ? :laugh:

Edit - I noticed that who ever built the hot dog cart.....yeah I know I thought it was an ice cream vendor but it's a hot dog guy....well, that cart is not how it looks in the box art.....oop's.

Edit No. 2 - on the light post by the Lego Store there appears to be a bus stop sign.....I wonder if it's the same sticker as the one in TS from 2013 ?

Edited by lightningtiger

The city square does look nice, but way to expensive at 180 euro. Like mentioned by other, this set should be divided in three, they'll set a lot more I think.

The divers theme... well, I just :wub: it. I don't need the helicopter, hence, I don't even understand why a divers team needs such a large rescue helicopter, but the subs, expedition vessel and sunken ship look great. I like the fact that they chose a cargo carrier/fishing boat as a wreck and not an old wooden (pirate) ship. The sunken ship seems to give a lot of useful part for mocing a second ship. Also, if this is a sub 100 euro set, that'll be great!

On a side note, I like the palmtrees like used on the pirate display.

I think lego city has been officially out-citied by friends. The grand hotel, with some mods, would probably look better in my layout than the new city square. Plus it has great new parts for building Mocs and a pretty cool cab and piano. Still, I could see buying certain portions of city square on eBay once people start splitting it up

LEGO has 350+ designers working for them, and many of them are AFOLs. They've been bulding stuff like this (and stuff much, much better than this) for decades. Do you really think you were the first to come up with a small city LEGO shop? Or a car dealership? Or whatever else?

TLG doesn't need to "steal" Ideas designs. They have tens of thousands of designs of their own. The only reason Ideas exists is (1) to give the AFOLs a (false) sense that they are influencing the product direction and (2) for some nice and free market research.

I was sickened when HH came out and people accused the designer of stealing the design. That same designer was so unsettled by the accusations that he actually came to EB and wrote a long post regarding the HH design history. I hoped that people here were past the petty criticisms and didn't suffer from overly inflated self-importance, but I guess I was wrong.

Why the LEGO AFOL community doesn't crowdfund to send a proper photographer to an event like this is beyond me. Imagine if we had someone there to take multiple hi-res photos of all sets from different angles, of box art, close-ups of details/minifigures, etc. I think most of us would happily part with a few euros/pounds each if we'd get that in return instead of all these crappy, bad angle, low-res photos/videos.

Judging by the pictures I saw, the windows lift up as a door to add more playability. They also seem to be connected by 2 ball joints on each side.

Edit: I just LOVE the new LEGO Delivery truck! :wub:

Edited by legonerd54321

Did you spot the green spaceman in the Lego store?

In this video,

pause at 0:49 and you will see Green Futuron astronaut in the store!

In the video, they also show a wide shot at one point of the huge display builds of a Diver & shark. Just above the display you can see all of the Undersea Explorer sets, including the big sub sitting on a rotating platform to the right. REALLY looking forward to seeing expanded views of that set-- looks like a really big, solid rig. Exciting!

Why the LEGO AFOL community doesn't crowdfund to send a proper photographer to an event like this is beyond me. Imagine if we had someone there to take multiple hi-res photos of all sets from different angles, of box art, close-ups of details/minifigures, etc. I think most of us would happily part with a few euros/pounds each if we'd get that in return instead of all these crappy, bad angle, low-res photos/videos.

The NYC Toy Fair is invite only. So it wouldn't matter if you had money or not.

Also I'm sure LEGO steals ideas, they are a company and that's what all companies do. It's why LEGO is so paranoid because they know their things will be stolen too. If an idea sells well for one toy, like Play Mobile, than other companies will take that idea. That's call basic business.

Anyways the big City set is highly lacking. The only time we can get buildings is if it's in a $120 set?

I'm underwhelmed by the town square set, especially for the pricepoint it's at. Ah well, leaves some cash for that Technich Actross.

I think it's way overpriced for what you are getting. I'm on the fence with the trolley, something about it bugs me. I like the 2013 blue version more. All the minifigs and cars and misc "city" accessories are great, but they will just get parted out and used in other places in my city because everything outside the tram isn't all that impressive as designed.

While, I'm not all that impressed, mainly at the price point, maybe it will be better once I build it. This should be trimmed down to a $50-$75 set. I have zero self control and buy most city themed lego sets and will no doubt buy this set and incorporate it into my city.

Edited by kc2dc

I'm interested to see better views of that large boat hull. Two of those placed back to back would make a nice base to possibly MOC a decent Helicarrier playset that could easily accommodate minifig sized aircraft.

While I have no issue with the town set per se, I'd like a new Town Plan,or at the least, a stand alone Town Hall. I wasn't crazy about the Modular Town Hall, and would like to see one made for City with a more Romanesque influence.

As for the new Spaceport sets, I'm loving them. Nice improvement over the previous shuttle design. I received the new snowplow for Christmas, and immediately thought those new rounded panels would make great shuttle cargo bay doors. :classic: That said, since the real Shuttle program has been retired for several years, I wish LEGO would venture towards more futuristic conceptual spacefaring designs. They could produce some nice spacecraft with cues from Classic Space thrown in. I figure, since we're not getting a continuous Space line, and Benny's Spaceship is the closest we're going to get to an official modern CS revival, the City Spaceport sets offer an avenue to produce CS inspired designs in sets that are more exploration/discovery focused. Kids can still get their conflict jones satisfied by Star Wars, SuperHeroes, NinjaGo, etc.

I'm not happy with something to do with City Square.....it just dawned on me......where the basic idea come from Cussoo Mini Shops Project.....the one that reach 10K but was rejected by Lego......I wonder what other ideas have been stolen from other AFOL's.

I don't mind having ideas used by Lego, but at least say something about where the original concept come from.

Personally i think this is a tricky comment. I appreciate on the one hand the sentiment but there is an acusation hidden there that leads us down a path of intellectual property riights and LEGO stopping their Ideas portal if this kind of thinking were to become common. I think then that we will all lose....

gylofrpxgcbvvmmmmtlz.jpg

I don't know if anybody's said that already, but that is most certainly a new mudguard piece for the breakdown truck. None of the older pieces can fit one of those balloon tyres underneath.

I think I did read that else where about the mudguards......hmm, finally do Lego realise that cars and trucks use different wheels ?

Could we see this change the vehicles in GV series for next year ?

Now on the subject on copying ideas, etc., on Cussoo/Lego Ideas once you sign over your rights posting a project you are screwed, you have lost your creation unless it reaches 10K.....funny Pekko's did, and it got turned down.......a few years later hey, presto a Lego store in City Square.......if anyone should be upset it should be him. Now we need to just stick to the topic......no sense drifting off course anymore.

Who has noticed the "1932" on top of the Lego store ? (year they started if memory serves me correct)

Plus this set has lots of small stickers by the looks of it too.