Rick

2015 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

The construction set concepts look great! Can't wait to see the final product release. The swamp police look fun and get to build upon our forest police collections. Not so keen on the starter sets, but the great vehicles will be a must buy. Everyone will want the snow plow for their winter village collections. Just wish I had picked them up...bought the winter carnival set from last year.

Edited by Wodanis

Kind of wondering how much my impression of these sets is unfairly distorted by...

- the low-fidelity renders of the actual box, with missing text

- the lack of stickers on some of the models

I'm going to give them a 'wishlist' test on a 5-year-old. I'll regret that if he says because they ain't available yet :innocent:

When I looked at te pictures again, earlier today, I also discovered that my disliking/finding some sets a bit too simple might be largely influenced by a lack of stickers. Trucks, for example, usually have a "grille" sticker on the front, to break the big block of tiles that the snotted front results in. Most of the times I don't use those stickers, but use some grille-plates instead.

I also had the feeling that some sets really are very preliminary and need some more figuring out how to get the desired end result. The van-based truck with the port-a-loo has a front that just is a bit too simple. But I might want to get that one. The loader flaps (or what do you call them?) is on my want list. And that nose is easily modded...

I really like the tow truck. The Jeep and the snowplow are also looking pretty good, and the demo crew sets with the Bobcat and the truck with the porta loo trailer look like they'd be a lot of fun. :laugh:

I kind of like the firefighter starter set, but I'm not too sure about the swamp cops. Maybe the small starter set with the airboat.

Look at the Pirates set 70410 and CITY set 60075....new color sand green and dark red for Brick Modified1x2 with Masonry Profile.

Amazing colors!!!!

Is it just me or sets really look hideous compared to previous years? Many models lack details and look as if they are just built from big size bricks.

But finally a decent normal size bulldozer though. The snow plow is good but doesn't make sense to me in a plastic world. I Like the truck with toilet though.

Edited by BatonMedved

Is it just me or sets really look hideous compared to previous years? Many models lack details and look as if they are just built from big size bricks.

I agree, kind of said that in my earlier post too. I'm really hoping that the builds are very preliminary and will be detailed more in the final version. And not by just adding stickers.

Guys, don't forget these are just preliminary pics -- they are not pics of the final sets. Don't base your judgement on that. Think more in terms of overall design, number of minifigs, etc.

I know, that's why I wrote I hope they are "very preliminary". :wink:

Edited by jfbat

Those images are just to give the retailer an idea what the set might look like to work out how many to order and if they'll sell in their store/chain or not.

I lust really hope that some of the colours aren't final. The police sets look like a mix of 2012/2013, and the tow truck shares the same colour combo with the Cargo subtheme.

I found another retailer that has the pics. Im not sure if Im allowed to post the link here though.

The helicopter in 60067 is almost identical from the heli from 60009

So the '5 year old' test (he's actually four-and-a-half, but eh):

"Best"

- snowplough, instant positive reaction and jumping up and down

- demolition set with wrecking ball crane, loader etc. "It's for booming stuff and knocking it down to build something"

"Ok"

- towtruck "we've got one, but [little brother] keeps breaking it"

- SUV with off-roader "it's weird and loads weird trucks"

- bulldozer

- boat transporter

- claw excavator and blue truck

"It's just more building stuff, we've got those" (he means the mining stuff we have)

- the truck with portaloo

- starter demolition set

"Don't like"

- both the fire and rescue starter sets

"Not the best"

- all the swamp police

He asked some questions about whether they had thieves, who he likes catching, then said he was bored.

He liked the half-track truck in 60071, but said we have the hovercraft already so there was no point (we have the standard police one in 4205)

Edited by andythenorth

I've still had the pictures all this time, but not the Swamp Police Station! That looks pretty cool.

-Sci

That motorbike transport looks cool, it looks like there is a new faring piece for the bike that makes it look more "sporty" which I like.

Your right 'jonwil'....more sporty for sure and it gives us soon to be four different bike designs to work with......only a chopper design is missing now.

I noticed on the 60075 set the dump truck front end is using parts never used that way before......1x4 toothed plate among others.....interesting ideas Lego.

1x4 toothed plates are used as "grilles" quite often in Technic sets (and Creator too, if I'm not mistaken), so not really a new use. Also, I don't quite like it.

1x4 toothed plates are used as "grilles" quite often in Technic sets (and Creator too, if I'm not mistaken), so not really a new use. Also, I don't quite like it.

Let's just say it's rare in a city set......I think a crane in the 2007 harbour set used them.