hknssn

[MOC] Self Constructing Mindstorms Space Elevator

Hello,

I have been lurking around here on the technic/mindstorm forum for some time now and i figured i might aswell start posting my own creations here.

This is my latest mindstorm project.

It is simply a machine that builds a tower. It pick up modules at ground level and then brings them up to the top of the tower and then snaps them into place with 4 technic pins.

And then it repeats that over and over again.

Can it go all the way up to space? Only in my dreams. :)

Even if we ignore the problems with wind, weight, wear of the plastic and battery life it would take 7432 years to reach space since it moves at a speed of 0,5cm/s (hence the fast forwarding in the video).

I hope you enjoyed it. :)

14765413562_0cea0b983d_c.jpg

//Hknssn

Edited by Jim
Changed image dimensions

That is really really cool. And a great idea. Well done :thumbup:

I wonder how high you could theoretically build before the batteries die :laugh:

Wow, that is indeed pretty awesome! I love it! :classic::thumbup:

I wonder how high you could theoretically build before the batteries die :laugh:

I wonder how high you could practically build before it either falls over due to movement in the elevator, or (preferably) crumbles under its own weight! :grin: How many of those tower modules did you make? :classic:

Love it!

The end shot is wonderful.

You should see if you can make one that builds the tower sections...

And how high have you been able to go?

I love this. A fairly "simple" but ingenious mechanism.

While the video was playing, I wondered how long it would take to reach space (if "Lego was magic" :laugh: ). I thought it would take about 500 years. Then I see that you actually said it would take seven thousand years. It's crazy... and I was way off tracks!

You should see if you can make one that builds the tower sections...

Well since the machine sometimes already mess up with the pin connections between the modules/sections i bet it would be a nightmare to have a machine creating the module/section that consists of several pins :)

And how high have you been able to go?

I have 18 modules + the base modules that are stuck, which equals a total of 92 cm high above the tiles.

Wow that's a really clean build! Reminds me of Akiyuky's build style. :classic:

Thanks :). Akiyuky is basically a lego god, we can all learn things from him. :)

Some rough measurements from the video indicate that if you discount the movement up and down the tower, the robot builds at about 10^-3 m/sec, which would reach "space" (about 10^5 m up) in about 10^8 seconds, which is approximately 3 years, so you could cut your time down drastically by lifting the tower sections up along with the robot, such that it doesn't have to come all the way back down to pick up the next two sections. At the end of the build, that trip would take about 8 months one way (at 5x10^-3 m/sec).

However, to be a 'space elevator', you need to go all the way to geostationary orbit, which is about 3.6x10^7 m up. This means that it'd still take a thousand years even if the tower sections were right there with the building robot at all times. At that altitude, the trip back down would take about 200 years.

Is it even legal to make such a wonderful creation??? :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

OMG, to all those people talking about the tallest lego tawer.....well this is the answer! This is pure genius! Thanks hknssn for your creation!

I wonder how high you could practically build before it either falls over due to movement in the elevator, or (preferably) crumbles under its own weight! :grin: How many of those tower modules did you make? :classic:

That's why I said theoretically. I know that the plain physical factors are restricting this a lot. Still, this would all be very interesting. Isn't there someone with way too much money who can try this?

best thing is to do some calculations on how high this structure will allow you to build a tower to....

if its not too high then think of re-engineering it a bit on the same concept to enable a decent 10-20m (or more) tower to be built autonomously

Then get some Crowdfunding behind you to buy the sections - people or businesses can have their name or website / product on each section they sponsor

I reckon you could get loads of sections posted to you if you organised it and planned this well enough (let people know the design of the blocks and let people put stickers on their sections and you let them know which row they have or you could price different height sections at different prices... etc.. nearest the top costs more, nearest the bottom costs less etc..

(look to the likes of kickstarter indiegogo etc...)

Then organise the publicity to do a world record attempt at the first ever tallest self built lego contraption - then you'll be invited to a few lego shows around the world etc.....

(don't forget to donate a percentage to some charity and maybe the left over pieces to some kids home etc.... think along those lines)

THIS HAS HUGE POTENTIAL plan it carefully, reap the rewards

Edited by Rockbrick

best thing is to do some calculations on how high this structure will allow you to build a tower to....

if its not too high then think of re-engineering it a bit on the same concept to enable a decent 10-20m (or more) tower to be built autonomously

Then get some Crowdfunding behind you to buy the sections - people or businesses can have their name or website / product on each section they sponsor

I reckon you could get loads of sections posted to you if you organised it and planned this well enough (let people know the design of the blocks and let people put stickers on their sections and you let them know which row they have or you could price different height sections at different prices... etc.. nearest the top costs more, nearest the bottom costs less etc..

(look to the likes of kickstarter indiegogo etc...)

Then organise the publicity to do a world record attempt at the first ever tallest self built lego contraption - then you'll be invited to a few lego shows around the world etc.....

(don't forget to donate a percentage to some charity and maybe the left over pieces to some kids home etc.... think along those lines)

THIS HAS HUGE POTENTIAL plan it carefully, reap the rewards

Our inhouse businessman at work here :grin: but yeah this is the perfect kind of project to do this kind of thing with :wink:

I seriously love this creation! And your presentation is well done. The last seconds made me smile!

Do you have a nice picture of your MOC, so I can....I dunno.....frontpage it :wink:

Our inhouse businessman at work here :grin: but yeah this is the perfect kind of project to do this kind of thing with :wink:

I take small comission for being manager, pay me in lego bricks.... :grin:

Great idea !

if it takes 7432 years to reach space, how many parts would you need for it ?

Just wondering if TLG should think to add some capacity to their production, Bricklink supply would not fit the needs !

I seriously love this creation! And your presentation is well done. The last seconds made me smile!

Do you have a nice picture of your MOC, so I can....I dunno.....frontpage it :wink:

I added a picture to the main post, however its kinda big.

This is just one of those thinks you wish you had thought of yourself. It's brilliant in all it's simplicity