Piranha

Blue Coats, Red Coats, or Green Coats

Hmm. Questions, questions. I've never had a strong preference - I like them all. Blue has always been my favorite color but I like both the old and new versions of the Imperial Soldiers and Guards. The new navy blue admiral/governor torso is beautiful, and the 2009 admiral torso was pretty good too. The Armada is more specialized and would be my last choice of the three, but I still like the faction and the few minifigs I have of them. I, too, could be a "purple coat" (man that sounds funny). But if I had to pick just one I would say redcoats, specifically the King George's Officer from POTC. I know that isn't an option in this poll (well, not directly) but it is a redcoat even if it is licensed instead of System. I just really like that torso design, and I have exactly 50 of the complete minifigs to prove it.

Geez that's a lot of royal officers. Never though that "purple coat" thing would catch on with anyone else.

I like purple for things that should be purple. An actual "purple coat" would look silly and I mentioned it only because of your example and the fact that I like both red and blue. Regarding my collection of officers, consider this: I'm a very narrow-minded builder and my overall collection is likewise "narrow" in the sense that I only buy what I can use and the parts list is therefore highly specialized. Pirates is my only significant theme, so it's easier to do versus building in lots of different themes. And I'm on the lookout for more than the 50 I already have!

I like purple for things that should be purple. An actual "purple coat" would look silly

To the contrary, I am trying to make a figure on that just to see how it looks and if it had a proper torso design on it I think it would actually look alright. True, there are some things purple should not be used on but, you must remember, purple back then was a sign of wealth. Therefore, perhaps "purple coats" could come from a wealthy country? Now that we've gone on a huge detour from the actual topic, I am curious if another TOR is coming up. It would be nice tnice to see all the anti-redcoats and anti-bluecoats scenes and such while I am actually a member. It would still be really tough for me to pick a side.

I knew when I used the word "silly" I would prompt some kind of response! Actually purple can be beautiful (CMF princess) and you are correct in stating that it was generally expensive. I don't think this is really off topic; it's just a rare viewpoint that is usually overwhelmed by the strong "Red vs Blue" debate.

Edited by Captain Dee

I knew when I used the word "silly" I would prompt some kind of response! Actually purple can be beautiful (CMF princess) and you are correct in stating that it was generally expensive. I don't think this is really off topic; it's just a rare viewpoint that is usually overwhelmed by the strong "Red vs Blue" debate.

I shall proclaim the creation of my own new faction! I am not going for the purple of the CMF Princess, more of a "rich" and "luxurious" shade actually. If you google the Ocanonda Farr minifigure that's the color I'm thinking. I think it will look very good once put into a uniform similar to that of the classic redcoats and bluecoats we all know. I am getting ideas should a huge red vs blue "war" like the Tournament of Retribution pop up again. The idea may be a bit rediculous but that is my specialty. I think I'll make it work.

A purplecoat would likely be a politician but for some reason nor Broadside or Woodhouse (Wait he's not even a governor) and not even Captain Speedy, wear purple. I guess they're just to proud of their colors?

And on the terms of Imperial Armada as Green: The Spanish aren't green. The Hessians are green!

cvnY0pz.png

And on the terms of Imperial Armada as Green: The Spanish aren't green. The Hessians are green!

cvnY0pz.png

The Hessians, along with Westphalia, Nassau, Russia, 1st & 2nd King's German Legion, Rifle Brigade, and various regiments of Prussian Light Infantry and Fusiliers.

The Hessians, along with Westphalia, Nassau, Russia, 1st & 2nd King's German Legion, Rifle Brigade, and various regiments of Prussian Light Infantry and Fusiliers.

Along with some of the American/Canadian Colonial Militia 1700-1830s time period.

Along with some of the American/Canadian Colonial Militia 1700-1830s time period.

Apart from that: where is that green custom decal from?

Hi guys! As i have just started researching the various armies of 1700s-1800s, can we sum up what bluecoats and redcoats with or without their blue/red/yellow/white epaulets and tricorn/tall hat (i cant remember the exact english word) can possibly depict regarding nationalities and specific corps (e.g. english marines etc) ? This would really help me and others i guess if we can sum things up. Thanks in advance

Hi guys! As i have just started researching the various armies of 1700s-1800s, can we sum up what bluecoats and redcoats with or without their blue/red/yellow/white epaulets and tricorn/tall hat (i cant remember the exact english word) can possibly depict regarding nationalities and specific corps (e.g. english marines etc) ? This would really help me and others i guess if we can sum things up. Thanks in advance

I'm not going to go into specific combos, but as far as nationalities to the redcoats are generally the English and bluecoats I have seen used as either French or colonial Americans. I hope that's what you were asking for, cause I don't want to look like a doof. Most standard units of most armies did NOT have epaulettes so I leave them off my troops. As far as I am aware the standard doctrine is tricorne=mid-18th century standard foot soldiers for England, France, and colonial America, and shako(tall hat I think you were talking about)=grenadiers from that period and also foot soldiers of England and France during the napoleonic wars. Hope this helped!

Yeap, clarified some spots i was struggling to find official info about.So, tricorn it is then :P Thanks!

If someone else has/wants to add more details, i am all ears :-)

I love the morons of the greencoats, the uniforms of the bluecoats and have only redcoats, so this poll is a dilemme for me...

Yep, those greencoats sure are a bunch of morons. But their morion helmets are nice!

Morons, morions... They just have the coolest helmets ever!

I knew what you meant but I couldn't resist. The standard black tricorne is my favorite headgear but I agree, the morion is the coolest. They frequently don't fit the Pirates theme time period but they're still a really nice helmet. Pity Lego produced so few sets with them. The Armada hardly qualified as a faction but at least we have a few to pick from.

What's the best set to get more morions? As i would like to get something 15th age colonization collection

And wath's the best set to get more islanders, as natives surounding the colony

Edited by TitusV

I agree about Imperial Armada aren't the "green coats", because the standard Armada guy is red:

Imperial_Armada_Red.jpg

That guy appears in 6 sets while greean Armada guy appears only in 3 sets. And there's another red Armada guy too, so there's no reason to call Imperial Armada "the red coats"

I agree about Imperial Armada aren't the "green coats", because the standard Armada guy is red:

Imperial_Armada_Red.jpg

That guy appears in 6 sets while greean Armada guy appears only in 3 sets. And there's another red Armada guy too, so there's no reason to call Imperial Armada "the red coats"

From wich set is that minifigure?

It's on my wishlist! And what is the briclink number of these morions?

Edited by TitusV

It's on my wishlist! And what is the briclink number of these morions?

Try 30048 although i am not home to check. (Mobile only enters certain pages)

Are the greencoats even a real option, or just a concept?

http://brickset.com/minifigs/pi014/Imperial-Armada-Green

"Greencoat" isn't a great description since all of the other minifigures from that faction wore red shirts, but that's what the OP was referring to.

The Armada would have been the coolest faction of all time if they had produced more sets. An Armada version of Eldorado Fortress would be amazing. I'm planning to make my own eventually.

The Imperial Armada "faction" (if it even qualifies) was definitely the coolest. Their two small sets make them look like a TLG afterthought - like it was a chore for the company to produce them. This poll seems odd in its modified form just because they're so different from their predecessors and they're so rare in comparison. I never got into the RvB thing - I like them all - but still, I think a new poll with all the factions would be more appropriate than adding another option so late in the game.

Oh, and please, no one tell me that the Armada "actually" had 3 sets. The fact that the re-release flagship had a different number of parts doesn't make it a different set. Unique, yes. But still a re-release. Nothing new and exciting. I think TLG realized they made a mistake by cancelling the entire theme so suddenly, and that was apparently the best they could do to correct it.