199 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Rate This Set?

I really enjoyed that read - thanks for posting.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that things like illegal connections and old part usage should be ok for ideas sets? I get that all official TLG sets aimed at the target demographic have to be constructed according to safety, brick stress and ease of separation rules - but shouldn't there be some avenue for more inventive and less 'official' building techniques to make their way into packed sets, such as ideas?

Not sure quite what you mean. By "old part usage", do you mean things like the old finger hinges? Those will never be allowed in any set because quite frankly they were poorly-engineered parts that could break very easily from normal use. Furthermore, introducing retired parts to the production line is not always an easy process. Even if you can afford a spot on the production line for a mold that doesn't appear in any other current sets, the molds might not even still be in usable condition, in which case you'd have to create new molds — something that LEGO Ideas does not have the budget or production volume to support.

And as for illegal connections, those aren't just prohibited from sets for kids' benefit. Connections that stress parts beyond their intended tolerances are prohibited because they can potentially damage the parts used. Adding a connection to a set that could potentially destroy the parts involved isn't "inventive", it's sabotage. It'd be like creating a car where the mirrors might fall off when you put on the brakes, or a lightbulb that burns brightly for an hour and then explodes.

Now, bear in mind that not all flimsy connections are illegal. Some are just that — flimsy. So those would be more like designing a computer program that invariably crashes after five minutes of use. Nothing is permanently damaged by a design flaw like that — you can always reopen the program, or rebuild the model when it falls apart. But it's just a source of pointless and never-ending frustration for users of any age.

Edited by Aanchir

Thank you all for the kind words! It always makes doing a review well worth it. And this one was extra fun.

Thank you all for the kind words! It always makes doing a review well worth it. And this one was extra fun.

We're just jealous you got your hands on it first :)

Oh and am I mistaken or does it look like the 2 new Ideas sets will be out practically on top of each other? Interesting.

We're just jealous you got your hands on it first :)

Oh and am I mistaken or does it look like the 2 new Ideas sets will be out practically on top of each other? Interesting.

Yeah I've gotten that from several people. :tongue:

Yes, I noticed that too. Just getting the new review periods set up.

The Brickshow has a review up. With one somewhat alarming piece of data. They report a rumor that the production run on this set was only 10,000 pieces. So it you want this, grab it fast.

Not sure quite what you mean. By "old part usage", do you mean things like the old finger hinges? Those will never be allowed in any set because quite frankly they were poorly-engineered parts that could break very easily from normal use. Furthermore, introducing retired parts to the production line is not always an easy process. Even if you can afford a spot on the production line for a mold that doesn't appear in any other current sets, the molds might not even still be in usable condition, in which case you'd have to create new molds — something that LEGO Ideas does not have the budget or production volume to support.

And as for illegal connections, those aren't just prohibited from sets for kids' benefit. Connections that stress parts beyond their intended tolerances are prohibited because they can potentially damage the parts used. Adding a connection to a set that could potentially destroy the parts involved isn't "inventive", it's sabotage. It'd be like creating a car where the mirrors might fall off when you put on the brakes, or a lightbulb that burns brightly for an hour and then explodes.

Now, bear in mind that not all flimsy connections are illegal. Some are just that — flimsy. So those would be more like designing a computer program that invariably crashes after five minutes of use. Nothing is permanently damaged by a design flaw like that — you can always reopen the program, or rebuild the model when it falls apart. But it's just a source of pointless and never-ending frustration for users of any age.

Thank you for the long and in depth reply Aanchir,

Re the molds, it was something I considered but didn't think would be as difficult to work around.

Some legal build techniques have more delicate connections than illegal techniques. If something is designed for display and not play, then brick stress would be less over a given period of time, surely?

They do a little bit. Build a Star Wars UCS set and it is obvious that the set is not made to stand up to play the way the system ones are. But that is a world of difference from the truly flimsy static model that the Exo Suit was. The model has to be able to survive some mild handling and swooshing. Besides how pissed would most of us been if the ExoSuit had no poseability? Just that one static pose from the original pictures? I'm thinking that would have pissed us all off far more than the changes that happened.

The Taj Mahal had no play-ability or swoosh-abilty and it sold well enough. I guess I want to know why model type builds can't be packaged outside of architectural designs? It wouldn't have bothered me if the Exo-suit couldn't be played with, or swooshed, or was delicate - I like to put builds on display and look at them :D The Brick Show review says it's not really play-able anyway. Of course, I do like builds to have functional elements, designed around minfigs, otherwise why model out of LEGO? I like to know they can work but I don't have to make them work, if that make's sense.

What I would really love from ideas sets are packaged versions of some of the fantastic and detailed MOCs that the community produces, with the detail in tact. All those intricately positioned small parts in a box, with instructions, ready for AFOLs around the world to recreate them, kind of thing.

Edited by ummester

Good build and nice minifigures, but the build itself could have used a bit more colour. All that grey and nothing but it is a bit drab compared to classic space.

Classic space was either blue/light grey/ trans-yellow, like the Galaxy Explorer; or just light grey, like the little mobile missile launcher, the tiny shuttles, and the one seater moon buggies. The Exo-Suit fits in perfectly with the latter.

Apologies if this is not the place to ask this but ... does anyone know why the Exo-Suit is only appearing in the US S@H and in none of the European ones? Is it just because it was forgotten, is it because it's going to get a later release date, or is it (hope not) because it's going to be a US release only? For example, the UCS Tumbler which should have a later release date is already showing on our pages and the Exo is not ... hope it's not a pronounce of bad news... thanks for the help!

I don't really know why it doesn't appear on European S@H, or why it does appear on the US S@H... But since there is only one release date known (1st Aug), I think it's just that US S@H handles things a little differently... It should be released worldwide at the same date.

I hope that it will show up on the European S@H on august 1st, because a colleague is going to order a few for me on the S@H page (since I will be staying in Egypt on the 1st of August :cry_sad: ). Fingers crossed :sceptic:

Well as Peter Reid is English, I'm sure it will show up in Europe. It'd be quite strange if an Ideas set wasn't available in the designers country.

On sale now in UK stores just back from Milton Keynes with one, not sure its fair to people that they don't know when its out and could be sold out before its release date

Got my Exosuit signed by Pete At Bluewater today. A very enjoyable build - a great model - and a fantastic selection of parts for sci-fi mocs. Also the price wasn't too bad at £30 - much better than the BTTF & Ghostbusters sets (£45??! No thanks - think I'll wait for a discount on that one). The Exosuit even beats the price on similar-sized unlicenced sets like the eradicator mech at £35 - despite having much cooler design and much more useful parts. I may buy some more when the double points sale comes round. Highly recommended.

I got two copies yesterday at the Lego shop. 34 euro each, that's a really good price for the set you get. Looots of smaller parts, including quite a few from the Classic Space era. :sweet: The green space dudes are brilliant! :wub:

Does anyone know and can anyone tell me if the ExoSuit will be available on the New Zealand S@H? I can see it on the US one as coming soon but that is all.

Just looked at the S@H (Netherlands). It has a banner with the Exosuit saying 'buy now'. When you click on it you get the message 'Product not available at this time'. My guess it is going up for sale today and the site is being updated as we speak. Only... I was hoping to buy this together with the Ideas Science project, also to save on postage.

Any guesses how soon the Exosuit will sell-out? I mean for sure it will be a success judging by the AFOL excitement upfront!

Yeah, it seems that the banner has been removed now. I'm hoping it goes up for sale today though.

Also the price wasn't too bad at £30...

Looks like you Brits are finally getting some pricing justice! I'm sure somebody's already noted, but it's $34.99 on S@H here in the States. It is visible on S@H, but you can't purchase it yet. Presumably they're setting it up this way to minimize the risk of technical breakdowns on August 1st that might bring hordes of angry Classic Space fans across the Atlantic to storm Lego headquarters and demand their Exo-Suits. :laugh:

Looks like you Brits are finally getting some pricing justice! I'm sure somebody's already noted, but it's $34.99 on S@H here in the States.

Well pricing justice would be if it cost £20, but it's still a step in the right direction.

I'm quite concerned that the Exo-Suit still isn't on the UK S@H. Hopefully it'll be up soon.

Another question, does anyone know if Amazon.com will be selling the ExoSuit? And if so will it be available on the 1st of August the same as S@H. The reason I ask all this is because I was going to order on the US S@H if the product wasn't available on the New Zealand S@H and use a freight forwarder. Now I have just learned that apparently LEGO won't ship to a freight forwarder. I really don't want to miss out on an ExoSuit so if Amazon don't have it and I can't get it on S@H I'm going to be a bit stuck. Alternatively if anyone living in the States will accept a shipment for me and send them to me (I'll pay costs of course) then Everything would be Awesome.

Amazon sells the other LEGO Ideas/Cuusoo sets, so I'd bet on it. They're also the only store I know of that ever discounts them(if someone knows of others, please correct me).

As for when they'd start... that can be a toss-up. They only finally started selling the new Arctic sets recently. E-sellers on their site were selling them at a big markup for a long time before that.

Edited by blarghiflargh