May I present my newest MOC: the Kenworth W900 US Truck. It has all the technical functions you'd expect from a supercar:
* Full live-axle suspension on all axles

* Both rear-axles are driven

* Remote-controlled steering with working steering wheel inside the cabin

* PF-lights (OK, I went a bit overboard with those 8-) )

* Openable hood and cabin doors

* Remote controlled driving

And the most important function of this model:

4-Speed remote-controlled gearbox
The main design goal for this gearbox was to have a reliable and comprehensive gearbox with more than 2 gears. One thing that was very important was that the gearbox had to be able to handle a lot of torque. It had to be able to drive large Lego Technic models. Another aspect was that switching gears had to be very easy. First, the transmission itself is a 2-way transmission, where one has a different gear ration compared to the other. Then I develloped a kind of switching-logic, where 1 M-motor would be able to switch 2 driving rings, each in either direction. For this I used differentials, 24z clutch gears and an inverter-mechanism which uses a sliding worm-wheel.

Instructions
Full building instructions for the Truck are available here.

640x426.jpg

640x426.jpg

640x426.jpg

800x450.jpg

Wow! I can't wait for this one to show up Rebrickable. It looks even better than your American Truck Longnose!

Looks like a great effort, with considerable mechanical sophistication. Externally, you really get the feel of an old Kenworth (or a modern retro-style one).

That's really nice, I really like the stripping on this one, the orange is especially good

Looks like another great project, congrats Jurgen!

But now I have to decide which truck I am going to build first; this one or Madoca's wing body truck...

I wonder how many parts these two trucks have in common.

I want to emphasize how cool this gearbox is. It is NOT sequential. You can directly select any gear. That means you can go straight from 1st to 4th, or from 4th to 2nd at any time. And it works really well. The mechanisms which make it possible are ingenious.

Hi Jurgen

I just want to saw: super MOC!

Congrats!

PS.. I ordered you building instructions... can't wait to get starting building this Truck...as soons as I know what parts I have to order first...

Great looking model!

Another aspect was that switching gears had to be very easy. First, the transmission itself is a 2-way transmission, where one has a different gear ration compared to the other. Then I develloped a kind of switching-logic, where 1 M-motor would be able to switch 2 driving rings, each in either direction. For this I used differentials, 24z clutch gears and an inverter-mechanism which uses a sliding worm-wheel.

*huh*:excited::wub: (insert clapping smiley here)

This just boggles my mind. I love it! I must know how this exactly works. It looks like I am building an awesome truck in the near future :classic:

Great looking truck, especially the color scheme. I might have yo buy the instructions just to try to figure out the gearbox!

tim

Great looking truck, especially the color scheme. I might have yo buy the instructions just to try to figure out the gearbox!

The gearbox instructions are available separately for free, but I'm sure Jurgen has no objection to sending him money.

I'll be reviewing this model in a couple of days. The gearbox is awesome, no doubt about it.

Awesome truck, as I told you before. Still, could use a bit more chrome silver/metallic silver. Maybe make a PREMIUM DELUXE version? :laugh:

Anyway, this kickass truck has been added to Rebrickable.

Deluxe version: http://rebrickable.c...rth-w900-deluxe

Basic version: http://rebrickable.c...orth-w900-basic

thank you for the hint!

BTW: Juergen, ist there any functional disadvantage of the basic version?

Comparing the two rebrickable sets shows, that - apart from the colorsheme substitutions 7 universal joints 3L and 2 Technic Axle Pin 3L with Friction Ridges Lengthwise are used in the Deluxe but not in the basic one... has this any functional consequences?

Thank you very very much for offering this awesome truck!

@Kumbble: I think this has to do with the fact that some think/thick liftarms are not available in red/blue/orange/green and that you need other pins to connect the alternative solutions (eg. 2x thin liftarm 2 with two axle holes instead of 1 thick liftarm with pin holes).

Interesting to investigate if other color schemes are also possible (like a black or red one).

On the other hand, I think white is quite refreshing!

We Dutch particulary like the red-white-blue combination.

May be you, as German, can build a black-red-yellow version :wink:

BTW: How do you feel after the 7-1 win last night? :classic:

@Kumbble: I think this has to do with the fact that some think/thick liftarms are not available in red/blue/orange/green and that you need other pins to connect the alternative solutions (eg. 2x thin liftarm 2 with two axle holes instead of 1 thick liftarm with pin holes).

thank you for your answer - sounds reasonable... i think i will collect the missing ~150 parts for the basic truck - its a good looking color scheme...

BTW: How do you feel after the 7-1 win last night? :classic:

well, hard to describe - the feelings are a mix of

- a lot of black-red-yellow ;-)

- crazy

- incredulity

To be honest: sure, it was a quite good performance of "La Mannschaft" but Brazil had such a horrible day (all players without exception) that Germany had an easy going...

BTW: i would have nothing against a 40th anniversary relaunch of the '74 final - hopefully with the same result ;-) - so i wish you good luck tonight...

I've started collecting parts for the DELUXE edition, only short 3 parts. Have to say that it indeed uses some quite rare parts, so unless you have a big collection or lots of money to spare, stick to the BASIC edition. By the way, didn't even know that 3794 (jumper plate) came in trans-clear. There also does not seem to have been a set that uses it, yet people sell it on Bricklink.

BTW: i would have nothing against a 40th anniversary relaunch of the '74 final - hopefully with the same result ;-) - so i wish you good luck tonight...

If Vlaar, De Jong and Van Persie can play, I think we can beat Argentina. Kinda scared of facing Germany in the final now though ...

Edited by jantjeuh

Interesting to investigate if other color schemes are also possible (like a black or red one).

On the other hand, I think white is quite refreshing!

We Dutch particulary like the red-white-blue combination.

I was already looking into a red or black version yesterday, seems doable, but I have to agree I do like the colour scheme on the "basic" version more than the deluxe version (not that it doesn't look good too). I might make red the main colour and make the red parts of the basic version white, for that dutch patriot feel :wink:

Late edit: Seems the soft axle used on top is missing from the parts list? Looks to be a 12L soft axle based on the video, which are pretty available thanks to the 42025. Or is was that altered out at a later stage? Seems to be gone from the basic version too by the looks of the video.

Edited by Appie

I am also planning to build the red, white and blue version of this truck, mainly because it is hard to find enough parts of the other colours here in the (web)shops in The Netherlands.

I am searching various sites if the have the colors of the Deluxe version for sale, but I never get a satisfying result. Maybe in the near future..

I am also planning to build the red, white and blue version of this truck, mainly because it is hard to find enough parts of the other colours here in the (web)shops in The Netherlands.

Sorry :laugh: I bought up a lot of the small green and orange stuff. There's a Bricklink shop in France that still has a lot though, cheap shipping costs too.

Edited by jantjeuh