Thanks for the comments.

Making the sails look somewhat LEGOish was the plan SEBEUS, I'm happy you noticed. The overall aim was to make something that looked like a model galleon out of LEGO, so I tried to match the custom parts in as much as possible.

CAPTAIN B - yea, you can do some cool things with the little bricks, so long as you gather enough of them :)

Being from Australia, where LEGO is a rip off compared to the rest of the world, it probably works out cheaper for me to buy parts internationally than to buy sets. 2 things that made the Crow expensive to complete were the number of cannons (which I'm removing half of for display purposes, as you can only see one side) and the old brown parts (because I wanted them new).

It's nice to look at the Crow now and think about where all of the parts came from - Italy, Portugal, the UK, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Croatia, the US and Australia. There are 2 of these elements http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?P=48336 in reddish brown,used on the back of the dining cabin chairs, that were pretty hard to find on Bricklink, and I found in a little second hand shop. The rigging rope was from a model boat shop in a coastal town (I was trying to match the LEGO brown). The collection of parts was as big of a journey as design and building :)

Cheers again for the kind words.

Hey, if you really like her and would want to see her for real, vote for her on Ideas. I doubt TLG will release a 4,500 piece ideas set but, if she has enough support, they may want to release some kind of galleon or tall ship model with a tiled hull. Personally, I'm starting to think that tiles are really the only way to do a wooden ship hull justice - I've tried so many combinations with other designs and keep coming back to tiles.

Now, if only I can work out a way to layer tiles or curved slopes neatly up and around the bow, I'd never have to look at prefab hulls again pirate_satisfied.gif Anyone know of any ships, other than The Revenge, that have tried to do this?

Edited by ummester

I must admit I'm not really convinced by using tiles for a ship's structure. Sure, for the looks it's the equivalent of a planked hull. And what Maydayartist did with 'Revenge' is outstanding. But as soon as you have to deal with the bow (respectively the transition from bow to broadside), you'll get in trouble, if you don't want to stick to a prefab hull element but still have a relatively simple/sturdy design. 'Persephone' is a reference for such a simple yet realistic bow. And that you can achieve a planking look by simply using bricks (if not intense enough, use long plates). So far I haven't found any bow design that betters CGH's tutorial's (hinge plates based) approach in terms of versatility, flexibility and whatnot...

Anyway, here's an example using a tiled hull for you, a little old, too complicated in my eyes, but maybe it can give you some ideas.

Looking at that ship it gives me the wanting to try an update...

Looking forward to what you come up with,

Regards,

KB

I'm not sure about leaving prefab hulls. It could be ok in a minifig scale, but this also requires brickbuilt bow and stern. In a minifig illusion scale the using of prefabs recalls a nice LEGOish genuine design that could be ruined by mixing bow/stern/mids with brickbuilt sections, imho.

About the minifig scale: it is hard to measure it. For example I'm making a frigate 24 studs wide and 8 mids long, it's mostly half the size of the pretended minifig scale, but looks oversized the same, due to the sproportion in the minifig look.

Excuse me for the poor english..

MATTEO - minifig scale always has to be an approximate. It's somewhere between 1:35 & 1:40 - I think so long as most elements of a build are within that range then one can claim the build is minifig scale. But yes, minis are wider than tall - true minifg scale will have odd proportions. For example, I was discussing the USC Falcon vs the system Falcons with a friend. The UCS is too large and the system sets are too small - but the USC is the correct width for a minifg proportion, while the system sets are just under the correct length. So, if you built a Millinneum Falcon to true minifig scale, it would have an oval rather than circle shaped saucer section, which would not look correct. I think, for a model to look correct, it has to disregard minifig dimensions and just go by minifg height.

Having only really looked at galleon dimensions, I know the length was between 60 & 180ft (with an average of 90-120ft). The beam was, generally, just under 1/3 of the length and the height almost equal to the length. NB the height I have posted for The Crow is wrong, she would be a total of 88cms tall, she is only 70cm tall from the waterline, or 90ft. I am not sure of average frigate dimensions but I am sure someone here would know - if yours is 128 studs long it would be just over 1m in actual length, or what I would assume to be a ship with a length somewhere between 90 & 100 ft.

I found this thread - http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=34929 - it may help.

Cheers Kolonialbeamter - I'll study those bows in detail :)

Edited by ummester

Just for reference: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/362883

I compared 3 studs as 1meter, as a minifig is slightly shorter than 6 studs.. this way, even if I placed 28 guns on the main gundeck, according to some wikipedia reference, the overall size is of a 10~12brig.

The discussion you linked is absolutely helpful!! :)

...and I have also to agree about the falcon's comment...

Edit. I finally found all of the photos I made inside and outside the replica galleon Neptune from Polanski's pirates. It would be nice to learn how to use ldd and try something...

Edited by Matteo1130

Quite the beautiful galleon you've created Ummester. The sails are very cool! Tiles certainly compliment this building style well. You've made them blend with the prefab so well, making the ship flow from bow through stern very smooth.

It was exciting to see this come from LDD to a finished model in such a relatively short period of time. I look forward to seeing more ships!

I was going to attach the LDD file for you and the other piratical MOCers to play with MATTEO but I can't work out how to?

I have attached them in the Technic and Sci Fi forums???

Edited by ummester

I was going to attach the LDD file for you and the other piratical MOCers to play with MATTEO but I can't work out how to?

There was a bug in the forum that allowed to attach files to posts... this has been corrected now.

you should use a third party site to host your files, and post a link to them.

On 7/22/2014 at 3:57 PM, ummester said:

I'm pretty late discovering this Incredible ship, do u still plan on releasing an LDD file? I'd be Interested

51 minutes ago, Jake77 said:

I'm pretty late discovering this Incredible ship, do u still plan on releasing an LDD file? I'd be Interested

Yes, this is truly an amazing ship... the curvature on the sides is fantastic!

But @ummester hasn't been around in Eurobricks since 2017.