Bob De Quatre

AG - Rules and FAQ

Ok, I think there's been some misunderstandings. We haven't said that a tag would be disallowed if the build wasn't good enough. We've said it will be disallowed if we think not enough effort went into it - i.e. if it's an obvious points grab. Micro builds are harder to judge because a 5 part spaceship often looks like less effort than a 100 piece one. So sometimes we have to base whether we allow the tag on other factors, one of which is the rest of the build. So, to use EpsiloneEta's example: a 5 part micro spaceship in a post where everything else is minifig scale and high quality looks a lot more like a points grab than a 5 part micro spaceship on a micro landing pad. Does that make sense?

Unless everyone thinks that we shouldn't judge tag claims at all and should just let anyone have any tag they want, there's always going to be some subjectivity to it.

I get what you are saying. I think so long as we keep to erring on the side of caution it should be fine. Just keep in mind that being a weekly game there are times where microscale is the only option. If you have a cut-scene to a space battle, having 3+ full size ships each week is unlikely. At least, I don't have that kinda free time! :wink:

I'm afraid I'm very guilty of this sort of thing. While I do try to write all my builds in as seamlessly as possible as part of the story, you can see how my weekly posts do tend to have a primary focus build with other builds being secondary. Bruce Vayne's spaceships, for instance, allow me to place a land vehicle in space, and I have built plenty of micro spaceship/air vehicles, like those in this week and last weeks' post to grab the technology advantage points. Up to now, they've been allowed. I'm with goatman in that if there was a shift in policy where this sort of thing would no longer be allowed, it would be nice to know how the player's should approach the weekly builds.

There's some irony here in that there have been week's where the primary focus of my post was ignored and the "fast" builds were highly praised, like in the Rumors/aka Drape Factory entry, where I spent days struggling on the starfighter which incorporated a bunch of crazy techniques and less than an hour on the micro cave/factory which got praised because I put green hair on brown poles and a car grill on the roof. I guess one problem with LEGO is that effort is not always obvious in the final presentation.

Edited by pombe

There's some irony here in that there have been week's where the primary focus of my post was ignored and the "fast" builds were highly praised, like in the Rumors/aka Drape Factory entry, where I spent days struggling on the starfighter which incorporated a bunch of crazy techniques and less than an hour on the micro cave/factory which got praised because I put green hair on brown poles and a car grill on the roof. I guess one problem with LEGO is that effort is not always obvious in the final presentation.

I'm my own worst enemy on that some times. I even noticed this week that all the effort I put into the underside of the front of my speeder was pointless as you can't see it. :laugh: I've built stuff before that I included parts like lighting in the roof but then never shot it in such a way that you could see the roof! It really can be difficult to convey effort in Lego and I think that when you do use a part in a new/weird way that people will tend to focus on that.

Ok, I think there's been some misunderstandings. We haven't said that a tag would be disallowed if the build wasn't good enough. We've said it will be disallowed if we think not enough effort went into it - i.e. if it's an obvious points grab. Micro builds are harder to judge because a 5 part spaceship often looks like less effort than a 100 piece one. So sometimes we have to base whether we allow the tag on other factors, one of which is the rest of the build. So, to use EpsiloneEta's example: a 5 part micro spaceship in a post where everything else is minifig scale and high quality looks a lot more like a points grab than a 5 part micro spaceship on a micro landing pad. Does that make sense?

Unless everyone thinks that we shouldn't judge tag claims at all and should just let anyone have any tag they want, there's always going to be some subjectivity to it.

On the one hand it sort of makes sense, but then if you think about it - technically it takes me exactly the same amount of effort to make a 5 point spaceship for a micro landing pad as it would take me to make a 5 point spaceship for a huge, high quality minifigure dio. If the effort is the same, I'm not sure why the person who does the larger display should not get the point? :sceptic: (It's not even like it benefits the player, it just benefits the team.)

It just seems funny that in one scenario a spaceship would count where in another scenario the exact same spaceship wouldn't count. I mean, this is a tag. It either is a spaceship, or it isn't. At least, that's the way I would look at it!

(Now, if we're looking at something prefab, like a motorcycle, then I could see why the rest of the scene would factor in, because it's the scene that sets it off, or otherwise.)

Of course, it is always very hard to estimate effort. I probably put way more effort into a simple vehicle than an experienced Sci-fi builder like Bob would, and mine doesn't even turn out half as good. But then, that's no reason why I should get more points!

I don't understad. If you make a 5 point spaceship there is no way it woulden't count (you would need like a 20 point landingpad for that)

What I was saying was that a 1 point spacship in an otherwise 5 point build woulden't count as obviusly the builder have had time, bricks and skills to pull of a 5 point build but have put in a simple spaceship just for the tag bonus. (In the same way a 2 point ship woulden't count in a 7 point build) And this was still mostly in theory as we have continued to give bonus to tags that have smaller and smaller part of the "effort" as we don't want to take away bonuses people worked for. I only remember one tag as of now that I disaproved despite it was built and that could as well be becase of the "no significant story/picture" (ok, found another but that had the wrong tag name too)

If we where to increse the demands for tags we would make that cleare in advance.

Edited by EpsilonEta

And that's what I get for making a typo. :laugh: I meant 5 part spaceship.

Anyway, I haven't spotted any times when I thought, how come that person didn't get the bonus (though of course, I don't follow who gets how many points or that sort of thing). It was just that some of what was expressed here didn't make sense to me. You guys are doing a great job keeping up with a tremendous job, so keep it up! I certainly didn't mean to discourage you. :thumbup:

I think that the problem isn't the quality of the builds or the side-builds... The problem is when player try to get every single bonus point available by forcing some small builds in their story. I'm ok with this, but sometimes it's very very very clear that a 5 parts micro spaceship is just here to grab a bonus and has nothing to do with the story or that the story was twisted to include a picture of said spaceship...

It's not against the rules, but it's pushing them... To the point that we judges have to come and explain things and have the bad role...

At one point of the game, you'll have to include in all your builds a spying action, a piracy action, with a spaceship, a land vehicle, a civil building and a military building... Oh and don't forget about your job bonus... Where will the fun be??

...At one point of the game, you'll have to include in all your builds a spying action, a piracy action, with a spaceship, a land vehicle, a civil building and a military building... Oh and don't forget about your job bonus... Where will the fun be??

The fun will be in... winning. :devil::laugh:

Hello! I've been considering joining this fun game, but I'm always super confused about these online roleplaying things...

Anyways, my main question is this: I would most probably like to join the Octan Corporation, but my collection of white bricks is not very good. My brick supply is more suited for Kawashita, and I guess I could join them, but I'm not as apt to join them. No offense to the Kawashitans.

With this said, I also noticed some "Alien Characters" that are not part of any corporation. Is this something that anybody can be? Or is there some restriction to who can play outside of a corporation?

Thanks, and my apologies if this is the wrong thread. It seemed appropriate.

Welcome to the game!

I wouldn't worry too much about the brick collection. For example, you could be a spy for Octan and do builds with your character spying on Kawashita, which would let you build Kawashita buildings and vehicles. Or you could be an explorer and focus on building landscapes where you wouldn't need much in the way of Octan colours.

Anyone can submit an alien build - you don't even need to sign up as an alien or anything like that. Just being a member of Eurobricks is enough :classic: You can do some alien builds and then also join a corporation later on if you want to.

Hope that helps! Don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions :classic:

Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka on Eurobricks was my first online role building game. AG was my 2nd. What I like about it is that there are some "universe rules" which helps keep my mind from wandering all over, but there is also a ton of flexibility. It also helps drive me to build since there are time constraints. I like to be able to tell a story and having the game available means I can tie it all together a lot easier.

Whatever corporation you join there is a big private PM and I'm sure the people will be happy to give suggestions, advice or answer questions. Though the game is on a weekly schedule for building you don't HAVE to build weekly. If you want to build every other week or once a month you can. But having the consistent schedule does give it structure that I find helps keep me on task so I don't just keep trying to make my MOC bigger and bigger and realize 3 months later I've spent 3 months on one MOC. :grin:

I've got two questions. First one is if I build an interior of a battleship, like a star fighter bay or something, would that meet the requirements for a military building tag? My second question is if a fleet is on another corporations planet, and has only one friendly planet it can move to, what would happen if that one friendly planet was captured in the same week fleet moves were declared to the captured planet? Would the fleet be stranded, or would it be allowed to move because the planet was a legal move when it was declared?

The inside of a military spaceship should get the military and building tags if it contains at lest one wall.

The second is harder. I think we said that if a fleet get stuck it would have to build its way out but I will discuss this and the fleet move order with the others.

I signed up for this when it first started but since I have not built anything can I change from a scientist to a pilot?

Sorry I missed this. Yes, you can change your job (you may also want to supply a 100x100 pixles sigfig picture)

Rule update!

Home world bonus

Just like the fleets were introduced after the unknown menace, the home world challenge now add a new rule.

Building at the home world now gives a 100% resource bonus!

This double the amount of awesomnium you get for your score but do not effect items or tech bonuses. Hopefully we will see more builds on our home worlds now as they have been a bit ignored for tactical reasons so far.

Is this rule effective immediately, or starting next week (week 48)?

Edited by rodiziorobs

Rule update!

Home world bonus

Just like the fleets were introduced after the unknown menace, the home world challenge now add a new rule.

Building at the home world now gives a 100% resource bonus!

This double the amount of awesomnium you get for your score but do not effect items or tech bonuses. Hopefully we will see more builds on our home worlds now as they have been a bit ignored for tactical reasons so far.

For selfish reasons, I really hope it starts this week. :look:

Also, yay! Great new rule!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Is this rule effective immediately, or starting next week (week 48)?

For selfish reasons, I really hope it starts this week. :look:

Also, yay! Great new rule!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I'd like to say it start this week (47) and hope I'm not abusing my staff powers too much. :innocent2:

I'd like to say it start this week (47) and hope I'm not abusing my staff powers too much. :innocent2:

I'd let it slide... :look: it is after the contest, afterall... :grin:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

Do Aliens have home worlds?

Aliens do not have a homeworld, and wouldn't benefit from the bonus, as they are not competing for resources.

(You could join Octan, though, and benefit from this! :wink: )

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Do Aliens have home worlds?

They don't :sad: You can have a homeworld if you choose to join MANTIS! :laugh:

Edit: Dang it Dannylonglegs.... :hmpf_bad::grin:

Edited by SpacerSteve