Jim

Review: 10242 - Mini Cooper Mk VII

10242 - MINI Cooper Mk VII Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Oh don't worry about that, I nearly always find the best price (or lowest average when ordering multiple sets.)

It's the principle that I don't agree with, There is no real economic or cultural reason/difference between Germany and the Netherlands that justifies the price difference. At least not as far as I know.

But they get that same polybag and pay €10,- less, So that's not a valid argument to me.

Besides the actual retail value of that polybag is around €5,- that people are willing to pay a lot more then that because of its so called exclusivity is there choice, It doesn't make a set more valuable to me.

And correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't the mini Mini Cooper polybag next month's Lego store's exclusive?

Which would mean I'll get one when I order the exosuit ideas set.

Could be. I was responding to the notion of ordering through Amazon.de. They won't have the polybag. I guess really with this kind of set I don't really mind the few euros difference it might save since I don't want to run the risk of it selling out and I also like to get it right away. Also I don't want to drive to Germany each time just to save a few euros.

But I am sure others think differently. Regular sets I always buy at discount through non-lego store shops.

I just placed my order, I have to pay 9% tax here in Calif. so around $9. Its over $75, so free shipping and with the two free poly's, its worth getting it now for me. I used $15 of VIP points towards it also. So is costing me $92.

And correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't the mini Mini Cooper polybag next month's Lego store's exclusive?

Which would mean I'll get one when I order the exosuit ideas set.

Where do I find this info? I would like to have the micro Mini, but I really don't want the actual model. If this is fact, what would I need to buy to get the micro mini?

Thanks,

Andy

Yippie my set just arrived! Incredible fast delivery as always. Things have really improved in this regard since TLG opened up a new distribution centre in Zwolle. Too bad they won't open up an actual LEGO store here in NL.

I got mine plus the micro mini cooper

set plus the chima worriz' fire bike set plus £5.00 off at the lego store at gateshead metrocentre.

The large mini itself was £75 so £70 plus two small models free.

Edited by SNIPE

Just finished the build. Not good, not bad. Sort of like my high school transcript, a solid 'C' grade. The roof is stable, unlike some previous Lego VW models. The interior looks nice. Doors and trunk well designed and work smoothly.

Even if it's a mini, the lego version is still on the small and easy side.

Great review Jim!

Built it yesterday and I must say it is a pleasure to build and then display!!

great review, been waiting to get since the news came out about it. newbie question here: do you guys think U.S amazon.com will sell this eventually? or will it remain exclusive to lego shop/toys r us? i have a bunch of amazon gift cards that I was hoping to use to get this...

It should be on Amazon for MSRP at some point. They end up selling nearly all of the exclusive/hard to find sets eventually.

Great review!

I got mine yesterday and assembled it straight away. I found the build to be quite fun. The model itself is very good-looking out of the box. But there is still room for improvement - especially the engine bay. That process is soon to be completed. :)

Except that my set was missing 4 dkgreen bricks with a stud on the side, there is only one letdown - the color-deviation of the "standard" dkgreen bricks versus the "special" ones like mentioned above...:/

Edited by Jonsson

Except that my set was missing 4 dkgreen bricks with a stud on the side, there is only one letdown - the color-deviation of the "standard" dkgreen bricks versus the "special" ones like mentioned above...:/

I thought I had this problem too, when there appeared to be bricks missing for the doors ... a bit of investigating revealed that I'd used 6 of the 1x1 bricks at the front of the car, instead of 1 1x4 and 2 1x1 bricks. I am assuming you may have a spare 1x4 with side studs?

I thought I had this problem too, when there appeared to be bricks missing for the doors ... a bit of investigating revealed that I'd used 6 of the 1x1 bricks at the front of the car, instead of 1 1x4 and 2 1x1 bricks. I am assuming you may have a spare 1x4 with side studs?

You sir are absolutely correct, my mistake...*feeling a bit ashamed*

You sir are absolutely correct, my mistake...*feeling a bit ashamed*

Not as embarrassed as I did, when my girlfriend had to point it out to me :blush:

Thanks for this excellent review of this lovely set.

I do have one question: what are the dimensions of the fabric picnic blanket (in millimeters, inches or studs)? I have a good idea of its size from the photos, but a more precise one would be helpful.

Hi,

I read this today on 10242 page of the Swiss Lego Shop at Home :

This set recently received a redesign and there was a new element made for the front and back windscreen. For the past year the windows did protrude into the vehicle by one stud and it went unnoticed because it matched the building instructions. Now we have a new building instruction, with the new element, but it seems you still received the old elements in the box

I never saw anyone having an updated version of the 10242. And I could not find any 2x10x3 windscreen on Bricklink...

Does anyone know more on that matter ?

Hi,

I read this today on 10242 page of the Swiss Lego Shop at Home :

I never saw anyone having an updated version of the 10242. And I could not find any 2x10x3 windscreen on Bricklink...

Does anyone know more on that matter ?

I think it comes with the one the new Volkswagen Beetle set uses

Not so sure.

In the Beetle, it is trans-clear while the windscreens of the Cooper are trans-black.

Moreoever, the comment from Lego was made in December 2015.

Same new mold, different color maybe?!

Interesting matter...

One more thing : at the end of the booklet instruction, the inventory shows a 2x10x3 windscreen... Oo

Of course this is what your pictures show.

The question is rather if there is an "update kit" available at the customer service for more than 6 months.

Moreover, if such a kit exists, the part itself does not exist according to bricklink.

Of course this is what your pictures show.

The question is rather if there is an "update kit" available at the customer service for more than 6 months.

Moreover, if such a kit exists, the part itself does not exist according to bricklink.

There is. simply drop an email to Lego.com, and they will have the two correct windscreens(front & rear) in the mail within the week. At least mine were.

It is the same size/mold windscreen as the Beetle. Though as mentioned. The Beetle is trans-clear, and the Mini is Trans-Black.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee