Jim

Review: 10242 - Mini Cooper Mk VII

10242 - MINI Cooper Mk VII Rating  

126 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Cheers Jim, for the review.

I like this set a lot; it's so much better than the Beetle, which had far too many studs showing on the body work for my liking.

Smaller or not, I really like this one. I agree the angles are a bit off compared to the original, but it's definitely a must-buy for me.

Superb review Jim, I don't think pictures can get any better than these :thumbup:

My only real gripe is the stickers, I find it very strange that some parts like the stripes are printed while others are stickers.

If you have ever watched any of the documentary shows of the Lego decorating process, you'll see that they have to build special fixtures and an operator must place every brick to be printed on the fixture by hand. I imagine it is a costly process and only works well on parts that have a certain shape or where there are a fair number of the same part to be printed.

This set is much like the 10194 Emerald Night in that regard.

If you have ever watched any of the documentary shows of the Lego decorating process, you'll see that they have to build special fixtures and an operator must place every brick to be printed on the fixture by hand. I imagine it is a costly process and only works well on parts that have a certain shape or where there are a fair number of the same part to be printed.

This set is much like the 10194 Emerald Night in that regard.

At least they could have made the stickers in the same dark green tone...

Nice review for iconic lego set even not yet released.I have one question, is easy to change steering wheel to left side?Im deciding beetween british license plate and german so I want proper steering wheel location.

Thanks for answer and I thank for very precise review and beautiful photos. :classic: .

Thanks! :thumbup:

Changing the steering wheel won't be a problem! You simply "reverse build" the dashboard.

This is probably one of the best reviews I've seen on EB, brilliant job Jim! I like this set, however I will not get it due to cost and space. Thanks again Jim! :wink::thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for a great review of this wonderful model. I can't wait to get my hands on it (sometime in August most likely). I already have both VWs, and Mini seems a nice addition to this collection, moreover, it's a very detailed model.

Great review! This set looks incredible, and I especially love the picnic that's included, but there's just one thing that puts me off: the price. I have a LEGO convertible from the Creator line that's the same size and is $60 cheaper than this Mini Cooper.

I thought I read somewhere that the Mini was going to be available early for VIP's, is that true? Does anyone know? Thanks!

I thought I read somewhere that the Mini was going to be available early for VIP's, is that true? Does anyone know? Thanks!

It's in my review, in the press release section:

Available for VIPs from July 18th.

Do you possibly know if it will be available in every region?

Do you possibly know if it will be available in every region?

I'm afraid I don't know that.

Does that mean they will start selling it at midnight tonight or somewhere during the day tomorrow?

Edit: Doesn't really matter anymore, Shop at Home Netherlands price is €99,99, Shop at Home Germany's is €89,99. I'll wait until Amazon.de has this in stock.

Edited by Sato

Does that mean they will start selling it at midnight tonight or somewhere during the day tomorrow?

I'm not sure but i believe they sold 41999 from midnight or an hour after (And got there site overrun by people trying to order.)

But 41999 was limited - and 10242 will be available for the next 3 years :)

But 41999 was limited - and 10242 will be available for the next 3 years :)

This is indeed quite different than the 41999 release.

Edit: Doesn't really matter anymore, Shop at Home Netherlands price is €99,99, Shop at Home Germany's is €89,99. I'll wait until Amazon.de has this in stock.

Just check Marktplaats. There will be shops or people selling for a nice price!

I have just noticed the 10242 has disappeared from the lego S@H site. I suspect the site is being updated for the VIP early access promotion today!

I think if you order it from S@H from in the VIP period you will get the MICRO mini-cooper free. That is worth the 10 euros difference for me. And if you are so inclined, the market value of those exclusive polybags will likely be double that. Also you well earn VIP points. And you get the model straight away...

I think if you order it from S@H from in the VIP period you will get the MICRO mini-cooper free. That is worth the 10 euros difference for me. And if you are so inclined, the market value of those exclusive polybags will likely be double that. Also you well earn VIP points. And you get the model straight away...

Lego Store's calendar for August 2014 claims that Mini polybag will be available between 1st and 31st of August. I am not quite sure if it is available before that in "VIP period".

EDIT:

I have just ordered 10242 from S@H - I can confirm that polybag is already available.

Edited by peter_m

Set is available at the German S@H now for VIPs . You'll get the mini Mini as gift. :wub::classic:

Ordered mine too now. Besides the mini polybag I also got the chima polybag free. Nice! Looking forward to building the main set, need to prioritise my 'still to build' list including the SSD, Benny's Spaceship and Maersk ship...

Just check Marktplaats. There will be shops or people selling for a nice price!

Oh don't worry about that, I nearly always find the best price (or lowest average when ordering multiple sets.)

It's the principle that I don't agree with, There is no real economic or cultural reason/difference between Germany and the Netherlands that justifies the price difference. At least not as far as I know.

But they get that same polybag and pay €10,- less, So that's not a valid argument to me.

Besides the actual retail value of that polybag is around €5,- that people are willing to pay a lot more then that because of its so called exclusivity is there choice, It doesn't make a set more valuable to me.

And correct me if I'm wrong, But isn't the mini Mini Cooper polybag next month's Lego store's exclusive?

Which would mean I'll get one when I order the exosuit ideas set.