paul

Trains in the garden ?

traintech1.jpg

Hi,my enthusiasm for lego trains has got me looking at other train related sites on the web and in particular garden railway sites,the idea of being able to sit out in the fresh air on a summers evening with a few cold tins playing with trains really appeals to me.Anyway my garden is more of a back yard and the G scale train set ups are way too big but a lego layout would probably just about fit....so has anyone tried setting up a lego garden railway and can the tracks stay out in the British weather or would they have to be packed away after every session?Imagine this in Lego.....

:'-) :'-) :'-)

I've always liked the idea of a model railway in the garden, but I'm wondering how well the LEGO 9v track will stand up to the elements. Will it corrode in the rain? It'll obviously get quite dirty being outside, but this is nothing a track rubber can't fix.

I own an LGB train and Playmobil which is G scale that uses the same track. For garden railroads, one really needs very good track that can withstand the elements (heat, cold, and water). LGB track is suppose to be the best for this. In addition, I think G-scale is really needed for outside use. HO and L/O (Lego) just isn't large enough and the materials I think would not last.

Also, I looked into this: R/C is ideal for outdoor trains as no electricity is needed. You can run track all over not having to worry about power issues. Playmobil trains are R/C, just like the new Lego trains. But for durability, I would stick with Playmobil.

I actually considered building a model railroad in my backyard several years ago. They're fantastic and the kids love them, but they are pricey and you need some building and bridges to make the layout look good.

I own an LGB train and Playmobil which is G scale that uses the same track. For garden railroads, one really needs very good track that can withstand the elements (heat, cold, and water). LGB track is suppose to be the best for this. In addition, I think G-scale is really needed for outside use. HO and L/O (Lego) just isn't large enough and the materials I think would not last.

Also, I looked into this: R/C is ideal for outdoor trains as no electricity is needed. You can run track all over not having to worry about power issues. Playmobil trains are R/C, just like the new Lego trains. But for durability, I would stick with Playmobil.

I actually considered building a model railroad in my backyard several years ago. They're fantastic and the kids love them, but they are pricey and you need some building and bridges to make the layout look good.

Sniff, one time my dad was considering buying me an LGB train when I was a kid. (we have a lot of place outside, and my mother doesn't like mess on the inside), but she decide it was to expensive, On the other hand I probably wouldn't have my cool 12v collection, if I would have gotten the LGB trains.

I noticed this thread and wanted to share my modest project with the group.

My Lego garden railroad is newly begun and still under construction.

I hope you enjoy what's been done so far.

Thanks.

The weather wouldn't do the plastic LEGO is made of any good, I suppose. So I wouldn't try to put up a LEGO train layout outside unless you want to remove it again every time after playing, which would be very wearisome. LEGO is not supposed to be left outside all the time.

The only tracks that are appropriate for outside use are LGB tracks. (Some of you call them G scale tracks. I have never heard that name for this scale.) Well, Playmobil uses this scale and I think playmobil engines and waggons are cheapest, especially compared to real LGB stuff. I once saw an LGB diesel engine in a toy shop and it was between 600 und 700 euro! :oh3:

I recently watched a DVD on Garden Railways by Mark Found... the presentation style is a mix between child enthusiasm, annoying and strong AFOGR (AFO Garden Railway). However it did address many interesting issues and is probably worth looking out for.

http://ovalfilms.com/acatalog/The_Garden_Railway.html

Hello

The weather wouldn't do the plastic LEGO is made of any good, I suppose. So I wouldn't try to put up a LEGO train layout outside unless you want to remove it again every time after playing, which would be very wearisome. LEGO is not supposed to be left outside all the time.

How do they deal with the weather at the Legoland Minilands? The models there are made from standard Lego, right? I wondered if the bricks are treated in any way to make them last longer, but I read somewhere that the models have to be replaced every few years, as well as regular maintenance (I'd guess that is needed more in areas where the models are within reach of kids...). I'd guess that building a garden Lego layout would require a similar amount of maintenance/replacement unless it was also covered in some way.

---

EvilTwin

I have had a G-Scale in the backyard for 11 years. HO and L would be a pain. the weather would destroy the Lego track. and the smaller the scale the harder it is to run out doors. due to the weather. the only pro for it being out doors would be battery power so you dont have to clean the tracks from oxidation.

G-Scale is the garden scale!!! haha

I have left a piece of 9v track (non-conducting) in the garden, not in the shade, for four years to see how durable it is. It has been through sunlight, rain and snow in this time in the Northern UK and after four years it is still intact and not brittle. I am intending to build a permanent Lego garden railway this year. 

Lego tracks are made of ABS and the resistance of ABS to UV is bad. Permanent exposure to direct sunlight will probably destroy the tracks after a few years. It is unlikely that Lego uses UV-stabilized ABS for indoor toys, buts that is just a guess.

It would be possible to build the tracks out of metal rails available for other gauges. Custom switches are required anyway because the Lego switches will get dirty inside and won't work anymore. The trains could stay inside or at least in the shadow when they are not used.

Maybe take a look at this:

and apparently she’s German. That means lots of bad weather 

15 minutes ago, Barduck said:

Was watching the peaceful german landscape, and great tunnels, when suddenly A GIANTESS APPEARS

I love her layout, though the track looks rough

2 hours ago, Barduck said:

That's not standard Lego track though, the rails are inverted T, more like ME Models. Maybe it's a plastic better suited for outdoor use. 

That's a sweet layout though, I want to see more of her MOCs!

Hi,

My Trains are driving in the garden. This is a (bad) vid of the testtrack some years ago on selfmade rails. worked well. Now the layout is longer... about 30meters. Can show some pictures if wanted...but its not so good like the bernina line, which is shown here.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:00 PM, Robbser said:

Hi,

My Trains are driving in the garden. This is a (bad) vid of the testtrack some years ago on selfmade rails. worked well. Now the layout is longer... about 30meters. Can show some pictures if wanted...but its not so good like the bernina line, which is shown here.

I would definitely like to see more of your outdoor layout.  I've been hoping to eventually do something simuler even if we only have about 6 months of usable weather.

Dan-147

On 5/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, Bartosz said:

There's also this guy from Australia: 

Not sure how long he keeps it assembled though.

My Son used to love watching TrainGuy 659 videos on Youtube. Endlessly, And he's really not that concerned with keeping the trains together. He has plenty of outtake videos of them getting broken, and has regularly set up bridges across his pool and deliberately crashed them on it (Which can't be good for the motors and battery packs)

But yeah, he's definitely one to watch for the tips, and seems like it's very easy to setup after a trip to the hardware store.

19 hours ago, Frostbricks said:

My Son used to love watching TrainGuy 659 videos on Youtube. Endlessly, And he's really not that concerned with keeping the trains together. He has plenty of outtake videos of them getting broken, and has regularly set up bridges across his pool and deliberately crashed them on it (Which can't be good for the motors and battery packs)

But yeah, he's definitely one to watch for the tips, and seems like it's very easy to setup after a trip to the hardware store.

If I recall, he's also the guy who set up a giant roller coaster loop with traintrack, and had train track going down stairs in order to build up enough speed to send the entire train through the loop

5 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

If I recall, he's also the guy who set up a giant roller coaster loop with traintrack, and had train track going down stairs in order to build up enough speed to send the entire train through the loop

Do you mean Bananenbuurman?

He's a different guy!

This is the video, for those who don't know:

5 minutes ago, JEB314 (James) said:

Do you mean Bananenbuurman?

He's a different guy!

This is the video, for those who don't know:

Oh yeah! 

I'd love to see an emerald night go through that loop, with half a dozen carriages in tow