Sign in to follow this  
The Chosen Minifigure

Lego Castle 2013-Present Value.

Hey there, this is the chosen Minifigure with a big topic:

The value of the lego castle sets.

Not PPP value, no. Fun value, moc value, and Minifigure value.

Let's hypothetically say that I have NO castle, fantasy, Viking or other medival sets of any kind.

I wish to get into the theme, already loving some other themes.

I get to the store, with enough money for any of the sets, but I only want to buy one.

Which set should I get, with the best Minifigure/fun value?

Or, say I'm a moccer. Which set would be best?

Lastly, on a personal note, Dragon mountain or Kings castle?

It's a difficult question. Dragon Mountain is awesome of course, since you get a dragon pretty cheap (if you like fantasy stuff), and there are some cool parts in there for mocs. The King's Castle is a pretty cool build too, since you get some good parts for building castles, and you get the golden sword. (If you are after minifigures, you'd want to get at least one or two of Forest Ambush (four minifigs in such a small build, for a good price)... The set itself isn't very funny though).

I sold one of my Troll Warships with the dragon in it, and immediately regretted it. The dragon by itself is quite valuable on bricklink, and I really wish I had the second one still as someday I hope to have the space to lay out all of my stuff.

As a consequence, I went ahead and bought dragon mountain, because the dragon makes it a very worthwhile set (as Sigolf Brimabane points out, though, only if you like the fantasy aspect).

I've also had my eye on the Castle. If I didn't already have both the fantasy era and the last kingdoms era castles, I would probably get it... they look better (to me) with every generation.

I agree, it's a tough call, but if you're not interested in dragons, for twice the price it looks like you get a lot more than twice the building with the castle, which is great whether you want the set or the pieces.

If you're going to just build and"play" with it, that's what I would do. If you like the dragons, then that's a very reasonably priced set.

Since Smaug is coming in October, I would skip

Dragon Mountain and just get King's Castle. But I hate Cadtle 2013 minifigs. I bought most of the Kingdom sets off of eBay close to MSRP.

My top pick is Kingdom Joust which is still available at Shop.Lego.com.

Targets in my area are putting 2013 on clearance. It is a great time to get them if you want them. I just got Dragon Mountain for $35 US.

One Target near me did that a few months ago; well, they put the King's Castle and Gold Getaway on clearance (I think they only carried those and Dragon Mountain from the line at the time). Both vanished incredibly quickly, which was a shock since the clearance was only about 30% off Gold Getaway, maybe 15% off King's Castle. Dragon Mountain? They jacked the price UP instead, jumping from $49.99 to $60.99, if I recall correctly.

I remember the new Kings Castle getting all this flak around here when it was first unveiled... I didn't get it then, I didn't understand it when I got mine, and to this day it just doesn't make sense to me. Sure, it's not an all-time "Best Ever Released" set, but I thought it was a very successful release and very substantial with comparison to the price point. If you can get it at a discounted price, I say jump on it, no doubt.

Two things I really dislike about Castle 2013:

-The blue highlights on the castle and guard tower, I don't think they add to the aesthetic of the set. To be fair, I didn't like the red highlights of the Kingdom's version either. Easily remedied though.

-The Lion crest looks too cartoonish, wish they'd use something more like the Kingdom's Lion crest. The dragon crest looks cool though.

That being said, I went from owning none of these to getting a bunch on 50% clearance to use for parts. Those tiny forest ambush sets are great for filling out medieval MOCs with soldiers, and I got them for $6.00 each.