L@go

MOC: Modular LEGO Store

Hello, fellow Eurobrickers!

It's been a long time since I last built a modular building - the last one was the B&W Building I built for the Modular Madness contest two years ago. But I've been wanting a #3300003 LEGO Brand Retail Store set for a while, the set that has been handed out to customers at LEGO store openings:

3300003-1.jpg

And since there are no LEGO stores in Norway and I haven't been able to go anywhere to attend a store opening I bit the bullet and bought one off BrickLink.

That inspired me. I toyed with the idea of scaling it up to minifig scale, because it seemed to have potential as a modular building - and as I needed a corner building for a display I was putting together at the time, that's what it ended up as. I'll give you some exterior shots first:

14575385855_afcc93d1df_c.jpg

LEGO Store 1 by L@go, on Flickr

14388957897_e9acd2d2fe_c.jpg

LEGO Store 2 by L@go, on Flickr

14572027451_958c5fe78e_c.jpg

LEGO Store 9 by L@go, on Flickr

And then some detail shots. There are two main exterior details: The sculpture of the classic 2x4 brick on the pavement outside and the skylights, which are also found in the miniature set - but I scaled the brick-style windows up from 2x3 to 2x4, as that's a more iconic LEGO shape.

14388784479_3cec642d7e_c.jpg

LEGO Store 10 by L@go, on Flickr

14574598892_3f0c1e4328_c.jpg

LEGO Store 14 by L@go, on Flickr

When the roof is removed you can see that the skylights are actually transparent and will let light into the building.

14388787389_255f4dd428_c.jpg

LEGO Store 19 by L@go, on Flickr

The standout feature of the interior is probably the Pick-a-Brick wall, which I tried several solutions for before I ended up with this. But I think this is what works best on this level:

14388763548_d0aac2d815_c.jpg

LEGO Store 21 by L@go, on Flickr

There's also a Build-a-Minifig stand and a wall with shelves full of set boxes. Ideally, I would have printed stickers for the boxes, but for now they only have the different colours that represent different themes - among others, there are Duplo, Friends, Chima, NinjaGo, City, Technic, and Architecture boxes here. And there's a LUG showcase display with a tiny robot model in it.

14388764728_a1959d7b8a_c.jpg

LEGO Store 26 by L@go, on Flickr

14575393905_c41e81ebf8_c.jpg

LEGO Store 25 by L@go, on Flickr

One of the things I had the most fun with on the way to finishing this MOC, was building miniature versions of actual LEGO sets for display in the store. Maybe you can recognise them - there are six in total:

14573636164_ac8ff7e1fe_c.jpg

LEGO Store 15 by L@go, on Flickr

14388786749_9bf52072fd_c.jpg

LEGO Store 16 by L@go, on Flickr

14388780549_2a7cae3eee_c.jpg

LEGO Store 23 by L@go, on Flickr

14575394665_79d6a264ff_c.jpg

LEGO Store 28 by L@go, on Flickr

And finally, some pictures with minifigs - let's start with a friendly LEGO Store employee (which wasn't exactly cheap, either - there are three of them in this MOC...):

14388966487_066312fdaa_c.jpg

LEGO Store 29 by L@go, on Flickr

14573640994_a7f4725f67_c.jpg

LEGO Store 31 by L@go, on Flickr

14572024801_aef0be6582_c.jpg

LEGO Store 35 by L@go, on Flickr

14388956857_93668ae42b_c.jpg

LEGO Store 36 by L@go, on Flickr

It seems LEGO Club Max is really a pretty lazy fellow who'll use any excuse to get away and slack for a bit, even though he gets paid to hang around and talk to the kids. Luckily, this guy is there to give him a stern talking to:

14388717230_c2d8dbe9f1_c.jpg

LEGO Store 37 by L@go, on Flickr

And that's it! There's more pictures in this folder on Flickr, if you're interested. Thanks for watching, hope you like it - any comments are more than welcome :)

AWESOME just simply awesome 'L@go'......I :wub: the blue space ship and pirate ship too ! :grin:

Excellent redo of that official mini store design.......Brick On 'L@go' ! :grin:

Great job on all of the little details inside, those micro sets are fantastic.

Haha! I love how you did the Pick-A-Brick wall! I love how you managed to add so many features of a real store, like the minifig building thing, the P-a-B wall and the various models throughout the store! Nice work L@go!

Now that is a cool modular. :grin_wub: All of the details are great, and I love how it is basically an enlarged version of the mini set (which is also awesome, by the way. I was fortunate enough to get one). Keep up the nice work. :thumbup:

This is awesome, inside and out! The interior details are perfect, especially the mini models and that PAB wall :wub: !

Awesome LEGO store. Love the PAB wall and the 2x4 skylight. Thanks for sharing.

Just amazing great work, L@go! The details are sheer amazing including front and back of the store, and the interior as well. :wub:

Thank you for the responses, guys, they're most appreciated. I'm glad you like the interior - as always I put a lot of thought into that, as it seems to be what I do best when it comes to modulars.

That is brilliant!

Thank you - and welcome to Eurobricks!

Great looking MOC . Awesome work on the interior. It really makes it. I thought the guy out the back was having a quick smoke. If it was where i work that is what would be going on outbthe back.

Great looking MOC . Awesome work on the interior. It really makes it. I thought the guy out the back was having a quick smoke. If it was where i work that is what would be going on outbthe back.

Thank you! Regarding the smoke, do you see that round 1x1 brick with a metallic silver 1x1 round plate on top right next to the bench? That's an ashtray. But I don't want to be the person implying that LEGO Club Max is a smoker...

That eye-camera in the back! :laugh:

Out of the 6 sets in the display I can recognize only 3 :cry_sad: : Millenium Falcon, Metalbeard's ship and S-S-Spaceship! What are the other three?

Next to the Millennium Falcon there's a 10225 R2-D2 (probably not that easy to recognise) and in the opposite window on the facade there's a 41035 Heartlake Juice Bar (probably even harder to recognise). On this scale it gets pretty hard to replicate sets. But you should have been able to spot the Simpsons House! ;)

Next to the Millennium Falcon there's a 10225 R2-D2 (probably not that easy to recognise) and in the opposite window on the facade there's a 41035 Heartlake Juice Bar (probably even harder to recognise). On this scale it gets pretty hard to replicate sets. But you should have been able to spot the Simpsons House! ;)

Oh, I thought all of them are in the window. That's why I thought the Juice Bar are actually two sets. :blush: Of course I see the Simpson House now! I was thinking what kind of tower could be next to the Falcon. But now I see all of them! The whole idea is superby the way, I love it!

Can I just say this would make a wonderful edition to anyone's modular setup/layout? This needs to happen people. Such a pleasant portrayal of our "happy place".

Great build - this looks like every LEGO store I go to. I agree that the PaB wall is a great solution for this scale.

I do not know what I would say if I saw a Galaxy Explorer in a LEGO Store. (in Lego store 23)

Thank you! Regarding the smoke, do you see that round 1x1 brick with a metallic silver 1x1 round plate on top right next to the bench? That's an ashtray. But I don't want to be the person implying that LEGO Club Max is a smoker...

Love the realism,all the minifigs can't be non smokers.