Gwail

MOC - friendly Shelby Cobra 427

Here we go today with my younger daughter Alice's favourite car of my collection - Shelby Cobra 427.

As many builders I've started with a brilliant model from lichtblau, adapting it to Friends dolls requirements (and adding the doors, of course :)), but I haven't liked its proportions and too vintage look. I wanted something more modern and sporty, so I've started the MOC from the scratch. The car is 6 studs wide, as it fits best to its dimensions in comparision with the previous shown Mustang and other cars, and it's heavy duty construction allows playing for my little daughter. The final effect is presented below, I'm almost pleased with it, besides some minor disadvantages, such as tiled grills on the side instead of the modified bricks (quite hard to get in my country, still on my wanted list). I've spent tons of time looking for optimal look of exhaust pipes, but there went Aurie from Chrome Block City in hand, adding some extra bricks to my order for one of the next creations (coming soon!) - I didn't realise, that the chrome helmet horn will fit so well.

Hope you like it :)!

14551184925_5d319e05ba_c.jpg

14551184755_bb565af1b0_c.jpg

14364521670_bc15064638_c.jpg

14551184035_ab03ba56a7_c.jpg

14364520750_9de379596a_c.jpg

More photos on my flickr page.

Download a LDD file (not 100% accurate there are some differences).

My other presentations:

14541283676_d0eab6ac41_t.jpg 14356400238_269d1fb81a_t.jpg 14385311427_d19b921517_t.jpg 14599591423_4aa162741c_t.jpg

Edited by Gwail

Love it! I just wish I had the pieces to make this for my wife who loves that car.

I didn't think you could out do yourself....but you have 'Gwail'......I :wub: it......the front end screams Cobra.....Brick On Race On with you Friend's 'Gwail' ! :grin:

Another great rendition of a famous car! Love the shaping and colour scheme, nice parts usage, especially at the lower part of the frontend. Two suggestions:

• Have you tried a 1x2 curved slope instead of the 1x2 slope with grille? Looks nice anyway but I'd be curious how that would look like.
  • Behind the door I rather see a cheese slope at the top than a 1x1 tile but maybe that would cause some other problems ...

Anyhow great work, looking forward to the next one! :thumbup:

Thanks for all you comments, guys!

Love it! I just wish I had the pieces to make this for my wife who loves that car.

If you wish, there is no problem to spare the LDD file. It requires only some fix-ups, I didn't "computerize" last batch of changes (mostly lowering the rear part, mentioned below).

very nice spin on a classic, love the chrome additions :thumbup:

Thanks, although I don't like chromes too much, such car just need it ;).

I didn't think you could out do yourself....but you have 'Gwail'......I :wub: it.....

Good! That were the intentions :wink: .

Have you tried a 1x2 curved slope instead of the 1x2 slope with grille? Looks nice anyway but I'd be curious how that would look like

Absolutely. Definitely. I do love the new 2x1 curved slope, it's a heavens' gift! The point is when I was BLinking last time (about 4 months ago) there weren't such color at stock (however, I bought then at once 20-30 pieces of each available colors, most of my cars were revised then, one of them was just scrapped for thorough redesign). Another must-have on next wanted list.

Behind the door I rather see a cheese slope at the top than a 1x1 tile but maybe that would cause some other problems

Yup, you've pointed another of noticed disadvantages - previously the rear was one plate higher, and it were 1x2 bricks with curved top (#6091) used, but I wasn't satisfied, the car was too high for me. However, lowering the rear brought some difficulties, lack of this Cobra's characteristic curve of rear fenders is one of these - now there is the 1x2 plate under the 1x1 tile you've pointed, and it holds these parts sticked with the mudguard. I'd hade to revise the seats system, but maybe some day I'll do it, matter of free time ;).

Nice job. The front really does it for me.

Thanks, 'Man with a hat', glad you like it!

This is awesome . Would love the LDD if you have it. I used to own one of these and would love to build a lego version.

Wookie, rogul, thanks!

I'm attaching the LDD file - it isn't exactly replica of the presented version - there are slight differences in the in the front lower part and the rear is still one plate higher, but it looks ok, I think (I go for holidays next week and have too many work to finish). But thanks to ER0L's notice about the blue 1x2 curved slope I think I'll be revising the MOC again (the whole rear will be rebuild), so I'll try to find enough time to update the LDD file, too.

gwl_shelby_cobra_427_v3.zip

This is so pretty it hurts!

Sorry I've missed your post and answering so late! Thanks anyway, glad you like it :classic: .

Wow! You really do make some beautiful mini cars. I :wub: them all!

Thank you, however the 7-wide cars don't fit the Town scale too well :). Luckily my daughters don't mind it :wink: .

As always, a wonderful car that is easy to tell what it is based on!

Thanks, pretty distinctive original, isn't it :wink: ?

Glad you enjoyed it, CrazyDalton777! All the chromed parts are custom (wheels and exhaust pipes), bought at Bricklink. I don't know if it's allowed to post such links on this forum, so you have to go BL and look for shops called Chrome Bricks or Chrome Block City.

Well Gwail,

I finally got around to building your cobra, I went with a red and white theme, thanks for the ldd file. here is the link.

the cobra <----

cheers. I think i'll do the mustang later on...