Greetings, Historicans

I am working on putting my lands on the map, and in that process, I have built the farm presented below. I am quite happy with it, but as always, landscaping isn't my strongest side. I have tried photographing in the sun, which I think turned out reasonably well.

I am still new here and eager to learn, so please let me know what you think.

In the lands of the Trifork, in Avalonia, near the border to Kaliphlin and the heartlands of Historica surrounding Cedrica, even peace is unruly. Living outside the protective walls of the Trifork itself is risky at best, with Outlaws from several lands, mercenaries between hires, as well as all sorts of shady types roaming the lands, on their way by the busy roads that links so much of Historica.

Consequently, the few who dares, and even fewer who succeeds, are bound to reap great benefits off the lush riverlands.

One such man is Ser William Drake, recent heir of Drakeshome Manor, a fortified countryside mansion in the midst of some of the most fertile lands of Historica.

14357480808_e0e80258bc_c.jpg

The entrance to the manor is at the foot of the stone tower, through a heavy, iron hinged oak door under a strong stone arch. The small windows of the tower are barred with sturdy metal bars, and it is evident that only a determined and well-equipped enemy will be able to breach its way into the manor. From the battlements of the third floor of the tower, the defenders will be able to rain arrows and stones unto anyone daring to try, delaying the attackers for long enough for reinforcements to arrive from the Trifork.

14543888255_98aaa30f4c_c.jpg

At the back, two residential wings rest upon the stone barns, in which the cattle and pigs are kept safe from the elements. Drakeshome is one of the main producers of beef, dairy, and pork in the area, selling their wares almost exclusively at the markets of the Trifork.

But Drakeshome Manor delivers more than livestock, as its fields on the lush riverplains have some of the highest yields of corn, grain, and turnip. At harvest, volunteers in great numbers arrive from the Trifork and beyond, helping to bring the invaluable foodstuffs home.

Below a few more pics:

14540447021_38d4fa12dd_c.jpg

The build is modular, to allow access to the (sparse) interior.

14542899912_7e5f561149_c.jpg

The tower also comes off.

14357172818_d8ac19ba6a_c.jpg

Here the base of the build with all modules removed.

I would like to claim the following UoP Credits:

• Agriculture and Zoology
    • three of:
      • crop farming
      • raising livestock

Further, this should count as Agriculture - Grains and Produce and Agriculture - Livestock for the HSS task.

C&C more than welcome.

Nice little build! I like that it's modular, and the walls and general building design are cool too! I'd add a few more plates to the ground- I'm not such a fan of the random flower colours- a more coherent colour scheme for the ground would work well.

I like the lime green walls, I've never seen that color used in a (Castle) wall before. Great Job.

Nice! I am so happy to see the result of lime green walls, it really fits good!

+1 for the acclaimed credits!

Great color scheme! And I'm very jealous of your cows :drool: I think the mound of blocks the farmer is pitchfork-ing should be a little smaller or less blocky, but everything else looks amazing!

Nice job! Good work including an interior! +1 for the two credits!

Nice work, I like the texturing on the tower and the (lime green!) Tudor-style sections. Also, I'm quite pleased with the shadow effect taking the pictures in the sun had, though one minifig's head is a little obscured. +1 UoP DoH for all claims

Excellent building layout and I like the rather basic architectural style :thumbup: Nice work making the whole thing modular as well, interiors make everything better :classic:

Nice build! I like the windows in the tower and the interior and modularity. I would like to see a ridge, or some distinction between the green and brown walls and the stone beneath, but I like the details on the houses. Good to see another addition to Drakeshome!

I must have missed this one. I actually really like it. It seems it is expected nowadays to use a billion Lego pieces to create ultra detailed builds and builds that don't follow this fad often get snubbed. While it is nice to see ultra detail once in a while, it is also nice to see a simple and accessible "playset". I think the haystack and ground are right in line with the style of the build giving a general picture of what Drakeshome Manor looks like without having to get too stressed out on all the little details that probably will be missed anyway. So in short, it is refreshing to see a build like this!

Hreat build there, I really like the farmer there and the overall layout. Its also great having interior and being modular also! Great one. One tip regarding photography is to shoot under shade and not direct light because you lose/burn your colors.

Thanks all for the tips and the nice words.

I can definitely see, that some of the suggestions would improve my build, for instance to have some sort of distinction between the stone and limegreen walls.

As per photography, this was my first build photographed outside. I might try that again, and find a place in the shade next time. But being from Denmark, I've got to enjoy what little sun we have to the fullest extent! :tongue:

I have a lot of lime green from a PAB wall in Legoland, so finding new ways of using it is always on my priority list :tongue:

Landscaping seems to be my greatest nemesis, and something I will try to focus on in some of my upcoming builds. First step: A non-baseplate base for my next building.

It was a refreshing build for me, as I didn't spend a long time fiddling with all sorts of thingamodoos and details (That in my process often comes out as just that, rather than adding to the build) and instead concentrated on the general structure and the idea of combining a light defensive structure with a home and a farm, something I found rather fascinating.

And about the smell - I would think the floorboards are fitted tight and possibly tarred or similar to close any gaps... :laugh: