Sign in to follow this  
Sir Brickalot

BLOCKS Magazine- Your Thoughts?

I suppose many of you have the new BLOCKS mag that came out almost two weeks ago in WHSmiths stores across the UK, but I noticed there is no topic for it here. So what are your thoughts on the mag?

Personally I thought it was a great read, however I was annoyed by the amount of spelling errors and in the contents, the reviews don't match up with their true pages.

Let's hear your feedback!

I was similarly impressed with the content, and there were plenty of interesting articles, but hopefully (if there are further issues) they will be proof read a little better, as there are spelling mistakes a plenty.

Still, I have my fingers crossed for more in the future!

I thought it was awesome and contained some great articles and tips. The reviews were good especially the ghostbusters one, the only gripe I have is that all the reviews were D2C sets. Hopefully that changes in a couple of issues.

Checked 5 stores thus far with no luck, though I've still got three stores to go! Glad it sounds good.

Really? My local store has 4 issues still out of the 5 they got. They've hidden them away on the bottom shelf right at the back, so you wouldn't see them unless you knew they were there. They also haven't but them with the hobbies and models section, but instead put them with the leisure section with all the minecraft and gaming magazines.

Just ordered mine. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I'd not seen or heard of it.

For those of you in the UK wanting a copy and unable to get one locally you can get one delivered to you by logging in to your PayPal account and sending a payment of £5.99 to office@ppcmag.co.uk. Don't forget to add Blocks Magazine issue 1 & your address details.

Edited by grum64

Ordered mine past week like grum64 stated and received it today in my mailbox!

It looks very nice, and it will be something I'll take on my vacation next week.

Nothing above a good read while relaxing in the sun. ;-)

So I really can recommend their service: I've just send an email, received an answer in about 10 minutes, paid with Paypal and a week later it arrived @ a small town in Belgium.

Ordered mine past week like grum64 stated and received it today in my mailbox!

It looks very nice, and it will be something I'll take on my vacation next week.

Nothing above a good read while relaxing in the sun. ;-)

So I really can recommend their service: I've just send an email, received an answer in about 10 minutes, paid with Paypal and a week later it arrived @ a small town in Belgium.

Hope you have a really great holiday

The magazine provided a great but short read. I liked the variation in the magazine from the helpful tips (IKEA frame) to the silly challenges that made me laugh, but as stated above I wish that the magazine could've been proof read to avoid spelling errors. I really hope that there will be a second magazine shortly with hopefully more good reviews. :classic:

It was okay, but as a long-time fan I found it a little lacking in some areas, thought it is great to snare other AFOLs or to introduce the concept of grown-ups+LEGO=Awesome to the naysayers and mundies.

My friend is a casual fan (more of a general geek/nerd type) and loved it as LotR and Star Wars are his favourites. I will keep an eye out for a second issue though, a physical magazine is much easier to show to someone than a webpage.

I still don't understand the point.

Is there a problem getting BrickJournal in the UK?

Is there really that much of a demand for a printed magazine to compete with the digital editions of BrickJournal, RailBricks and HispaBrick?

I still don't understand the point.

Is there a problem getting BrickJournal in the UK?

Is there really that much of a demand for a printed magazine to compete with the digital editions of BrickJournal, RailBricks and HispaBrick?

None of those magazines are on shelves in the UK, with the exception of the Brickjournal. However the BrickJournal is only available in LEGO stores, and are LEGO stores are spread pretty thin.

On top of that from what I've seen of the BrickJournal in LEGO stores, it's very expensive considering how thin it is.

I'd say the demand is there since a lot of Shops have sold out of Blocks magazine and also since a lot of European countries seem to be importing them.

None of those magazines are on shelves in the UK, with the exception of the Brickjournal. However the BrickJournal is only available in LEGO stores, and are LEGO stores are spread pretty thin.

On top of that from what I've seen of the BrickJournal in LEGO stores, it's very expensive considering how thin it is.

I'd say the demand is there since a lot of Shops have sold out of Blocks magazine and also since a lot of European countries seem to be importing them.

So the answer to my first question is yes, there is a problem getting BrickJournal in the UK. A problem of distribution.

As I mentioned RailBricks and Hispabrick are digital magazines so of course they would not be "on shelves". I am still surprised how many people still want to buy printed copies of magazines.

I bought a copy. Overall, I thought : "nice try for a first edition... but really, how much is there in here that I couldn't also find by reading Eurobricks and/or Brickset and/or watching The Brick Show etc etc on Youtube?"

In the end the only article I really liked was the photography one, I really liked the pictures of the snowtroopers skiing and so on.

I know this edition was basically a labour of love and I have noticed that they are bringing new people onboard for the future so I will keep an eye on it. It might be interesting if they introduce regular features such as building techniques or Mindstorms programming or something like that. Otherwise I will save my pennies

I have put my copy in my recycling box but if anyone wants it (for free) it let me know

EvilTwin

p.s. one other point. Maybe I have started noticing this more because of the ongoing debate about female minifigures, etc. but the magazine does rather paint Lego as being a boy's hobby. There were a couple of comments along the lines of, "I hope my wife doesn't find out I spent all this money, ho ho", also in the "getting started" page about which set to buy, there is a choice that says "this is just a quick fling while the wife's not looking". I don't necessarily agree with the people who say Lego is divisive etc but I mean srsly?

Edited by EvilTwin

p.s. one other point. Maybe I have started noticing this more because of the ongoing debate about female minifigures, etc. but the magazine does rather paint Lego as being a boy's hobby. There were a couple of comments along the lines of, "I hope my wife doesn't find out I spent all this money, ho ho", also in the "getting started" page about which set to buy, there is a choice that says "this is just a quick fling while the wife's not looking". I don't necessarily agree with the people who say Lego is divisive etc but I mean srsly?

Interesting point. I am a male and feminist and I make that joke all the time especially at shows. It has nothing to do with gender however and my intention is simply to make light of how much I spend and that my spouse is not an AFOL. I have also made a similar joke about spending my kids college fund. Does that make me a hater of children or education?

If I was gay I would say "my husband". I am not sure we need to go to the extreme of neutering language. A better approach would be to be more inclusive and feature a variety of builders which I would hope the magazine will do.

When the 'teaser' issue of Blocks Magazine came out I ordered a copy direct from the website and upon receiving it, enjoyed it very much.

Today I was surprised but happy to receive not one, but two copies of Blocks Magazine Issue 1 through my letterbox. Nothing wrong with that you might say and ordinarily I'd agree, but here's the thing.

I didn't order them nor, at the time I bought the 'teaser' issue, did I take out a subscription. I phoned customer service who know nothing about it, asked friends & family who also know nothing about it. I've checked with my bank and there's no money been taken so it's a mystery, albeit a nice one.

So my question is, has anyone else received a copy of issue 1 today and more importantly, did you pay for it?

The first issue of the regular monthly Blocks magazine came out today. My local WH Smith had a decent wad of copies on the shelf.

I do believe they are hiring, it's in one of the sections I think.

I got mine on Saturday, I'm very impressed. Nice quality, great info, very nicely structured, perhaps one or two things I'd change, but that would be overtly nitpicking, and a bit unfair too at this stage.

I'm looking forward to seeing this evolve.