Hey Everyone!

Well what can I say, if you are not Australian you may not have heard of this car.

Therefore this is my tribute to it. :grin:

This is a legendary car, simply because it represents the dream. The dream of buying a race ready fast car from the dealership floor, driving to a race track and potentially winning a national race!

Of course these days that is impossible to do, therefore this car will remain in our hearts forever more.

I won't go into huge details about the history of this car at the race track, but here are some quick facts about the car.

With the rev limiter disabled it was capable of 250 kilometers per hour (160 mph) and would pull 7,000+ rpm in 4th gear

351 cubic inch Cleveland V8 (5.763 litre)

Power (DIN): 224kW (300bhp) @ 5400rpm

Torque (DIN:) 515Nm (380lb-ft) @ 3400rpm

Weight: 1325kg (manual) 1415kg (auto)

As for my Technic version, well I have been building this on/off now for about 9 months and ran out of orange pieces because 2 orders went missing.

Features:

4 speed manual gearbox

Independent front and live axle rear suspension

Open-able doors, boot (trunk) and bonnet (hood)

2X XL motors for drive

1x Servo for steering

46cm x 20cm x 15cm

2.046kg

I was keen to have a 4 speed manual gearbox just like the real thing and thought this would be a good opportunity to try it out. It turned out to be a real pain, mostly because the gearbox is off center and had to find a creative solution, which took 6 version from the ground up to achieve. The result was a very strong chassis, but at a cost of weight obviously.

If any of you can remember, I started the body work first, which had its pros and cons HAHA. I'm quite happy with how it turned out and will try that technique again in the future.

I enjoyed detailing the car too with a fairly realistic engine and dashboard attempt. I didn't go overboard as I prefer a suggestion of detail and was constantly worried about weight.

I was disappointed with how much power is lost thought gearboxes and drive trains, and had to drop the gearing to save the XL's from stalling. Comparing this car to my hot rod, I thought it would be a bit slower, because of the smaller wheels and efficiency of the gearing.

In the end I'm very happy how it turned out and feel I made a solid attempt at capturing the Aussie beast.

Any comments or questions are welcome, and hope you enjoy the video, hehehe. :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

14538047585_a3c1ccf4af_b.jpg

14534650831_42524a17bf_b.jpg

14351456678_d3afe6a375_b.jpg

14536541714_3425e4f5b2_b.jpg

14536542694_eb5a2702ca_b.jpg

14351422979_13d2fd85f5_b.jpg

14351424129_38a101a340_b.jpg

14552194133_a539446252_b.jpg

14345455549_9de1a0e896_b.jpg

14508953836_ab81f586b5_b.jpg

14345488089_886012a4c4_b.jpg

14532093485_9e3e43d78e_b.jpg

14531065082_1c0b2f3da2_b.jpg

Please take a moment to sign in, sub, comment and rate my video! It has taken many months of animation, editing and swearing to make. :tongue:

Edited by Doc_Brown

F*** YEAH

it's great :D

just great!

love the song you choosed....so aussie ACDC :D

how did you manage to put all the parts on maya?

love the part where it's changing from 3d to real :D

the only thing i don't like are the shaders you made for the 3d XD damn you!

Thanks guys!

F*** YEAH

it's great :D

just great!

love the song you choosed....so aussie ACDC :D

how did you manage to put all the parts on maya?

love the part where it's changing from 3d to real :D

the only thing i don't like are the shaders you made for the 3d XD damn you!

Yep had to be ACDC, haha.

I took a while to import all the parts into Maya, in the end it was almost 2 million polys!

I had to turn down the render quality unfortunately, and in the end just went with a preset render.

It was very very hard on my PC. haha.

What would you do to change the sharers look? :sweet:

Anyone experiencing shaking footage on youtube????

Awesome car moc you made there.

Love the orange color, and you spend a lot of time making that video.

Great job. Are you planning any instructions or sharing some LDD file?

I love seeing that every car moc brings new ways on building windows. Your solution is nice and flexible, using the universal joints.

Lovely work Doc.

You have captured the feel of the XY with the front end and the boot.

Altho i note this is not a stock phase III, its just another XY thats been done up to look like one. Afterall the spotties on the original were molded into the grill and all the wanna be's just had them bolted to the outside. :)

Now if you could just make a Cherry red XP futura or a XK pursuit you would make my day.

Oh and i do expect to see this in Oct. Your Rat rod was nice in June but would have been great for you to be there to demonstrate it.

Peter

Great looking model, and great video! It looks like the car drives really well for so much weight, how did you keep the motors from stalling?

tim

Although I am more of a Holden guy, I do love the way you have captured one of the most iconic Aussie cars of all time.

Top job, Doc_Brown.

Instantly recognisable as a GTHO. So many cool details and it looks like the Power Functions and gearing work really well.

Very cool rendition of an Aussie classic.

:classic: :classic:

Thanks guys!

Yep had to be ACDC, haha.

I took a while to import all the parts into Maya, in the end it was almost 2 million polys!

I had to turn down the render quality unfortunately, and in the end just went with a preset render.

It was very very hard on my PC. haha.

What would you do to change the sharers look? :sweet:

Anyone experiencing shaking footage on youtube????

well the shader for the plastic should have more glossiness as it's plastic :P

but mainly i think you messed up something with the environment....you didn't use any environment map right?

so the plastic isn't reflecting anything but itself :P

ps: ah it needs ambient occlusion as well :P

Edited by piterx

well the shader for the plastic should have more glossiness as it's plastic :P

but mainly i think you messed up something with the environment....you didn't use any environment map right?

so the plastic isn't reflecting anything but itself :P

ps: ah it needs ambient occlusion as well :P

Yeah I know its not the best, but don't forget nearly 2 million polys would kill any pc with ambient occlusion turned on!

And doing animation you just have to lower the quality cos of time, each frame would have been over 5 mins x 800 frames = 67 hours solid render time! HAHA

I also thought that it would be cool to go from a lower render quality to photograph and that helped. hehe.

No environment map, cos I wanted it to look like my lights setup at home. :blush:

But yeah man I hear you! Next car will be epic, I promise! :grin::tongue:

I will remove all polys that can't be seen. :thumbup:

So awesome Doc!!

Instantly recognizable as an Aussie icon

Can't wait to see it in the flesh :-)

Nice model :thumbup:

This car works really well with shapes of the panels available in Lego, and is instantly recognisable to any Aussie.

AWESOME, if it was blue and white......Alan Moffat would be proud of you ! :grin:

Brick On 'Doc_Brown' ! :grin:

White with blue stripes might be possible. Thanks very much! I hope he is too.

So awesome Doc!!

Instantly recognizable as an Aussie icon

Can't wait to see it in the flesh :-)

Thanks Ben, hope so soon!

Thank you all to the great feedback! Cheers guys.