djm

90 degree crossing - PF/IR

On my "to do" list is to provide some build instructions for the diamond crossing I posted about earlier. Other than using LDD, that entails me learning how to use LPub to generate a PDF file.

I started off with using LPub to generate build instructions for this 90 degree crossing:

90_degree_2_plate.jpg

Standing on the shoulders of giants ... the inspiration for this was two earlier positing x-cross track for PF Trains and MOC custom PF crossroad track. The subtle difference for mine is that the track separation is (should be!) aligned to the actual separation between the tracks (as identified by zephr1934).

The build instructions for this are too big to attach to the post but they are available here.

I came up with two variations on this theme. One which is a 90 degree crossing with a baseplate + 1 plate elevation:

90_degree_1_plate.jpg

and the other is a 90 degree crossing without any extra elevation:

90_degree_0_plate.jpg

Having come to grips with the fundamentals of using LPub, I hope to use it in the next couple of weeks to create the build instructions for the diamond crossing. Once I have done that, I will update the previous post with appropriate links.

Regards,

David

Edited by djm
Updated link to image

Pretty cool, but I'd be worried about the low hanging bits on locomotives getting caught on the pieces in between the rails. It looks like they stick up about 1 plate height.

Pretty cool, but I'd be worried about the low hanging bits on locomotives getting caught on the pieces in between the rails. It looks like they stick up about 1 plate height.

The first two work okay - neither have anything at a greater height than the cross rail. I had made a video of the two of them hooked up in a figure of 8 x1.5 (hopefully that makes sense) and running the yellow cargo train sweetly. But when I went to upload the video to complement this post, for the life of me I couldn't find it

The third one will potentially be an issue for train with a low clearance. There are protrusions of a stud (4 LDUs) above the cross rail - much akin to the issue with the first version of the diamond crossing. All three of these were precursors to the diamond crossing - they were part of my lessons as to what would and wouldn't work. I'll think about adding the reworking of the third crossing variation to eliminate the protrusions to my "to do" list, though after I've modelled the diamond crossing using LDraw.

Regards,

David

Having completed the diamond crossing to my satisfaction, I turned my hand to resolving the protruding studs in the low height 90 degree crossing. Et voila!

640x410.jpg

Note, no Lego bricks were harmed in the making of this crossing!

David

Edited by djm
Updated link to image

So this latest version will hold itself together without the need for a baseplate since it is pictured without one? Either way it's quite amazing.

Edited by domboy

Yes it hangs together without the need of a baseplate.

Looking at the picture now, I can see there is one colour in error. The grooved brick does not come in dark bluish gray but in dark gray. I'm communicating with Elroy @ Railbricks to see about getting the build instructions uploaded to the Railbricks website. I'll update the status on this thread accordingly.

Regards,

David.

P.S. (2019) Here is a link to a PDF for the building instructions: https://bricksafe.com/files/djm/djm_public_documents/eurobricks/90_degree_24_LDU.pdf

Edited by djm
Added link to building instructions.