Back in my homeland (Mocpages), a big part of the community were Moc-offs. Not only were they fun, but they were a great way to improve and get quality critique on your builds. I was wondering I f that kind of thing would be acceptable here? For those that don't know, a Moc-off is when two builder of comparable skill both make a build in a category decided on by a third party. Then the winner is voted on either by one judge, a panel of judges, or by a community vote. There is no prize, just a friendly competition. If this does workout, I feel like it could really inspire some improvement and activity between builders.

As long as you are up against a comparable skilled builder aye, that gives someone an idea how they are `rated`. But ending up against a far skilled builder (say for example, me vs Gabe to name one) only could work demotivating.

Agreed with Tomsche, I would love to see something like this happening. But only comparable MOCers against eachother, otherwise it wouldn't be fair.

Since we are talking about other websites, I will throw in what is done in LOR on Merlin's beard forum. There is a rival challenge which is very similar to the moc-offs. Each person that is interested signs up and everyone starts out as a novice. When you win 3 of the challenges you move up to the next category (brawler, I think?). Anyway, if you've lost 3 you drop a rank. You can challenge anyone above you, but cannot challenge someone below you. This way they don't have people that have years of experience just 'battling' newer builders so they can accumulate points, but instead the newer builders can challenge where they are comfortable to gain skill.

kayne, that sounds really interesting. Definetely something we should look into. I realy like how GoH thriving these days. Everything is much more diverse than in book I. And builind is constantly becoming better!

This is a great idea, though I think I'm partial to Kayne's version

I concur. It would solve the issue of making sure builders are posed against someone on a similar skill. However, how do you ensure the challenged part is willing to participate?

As long as this was only a separate part to the usual challenges/Freebuild system, then I'd be game for it.

At the other site, it is optional. You do not have to sign up for the brawling challenges unless you want. Basically if you sign up to be a part, you are agreeing that you are willing to be challenged by anyone eligible to challenge you based upon the rules.

Sounds like a fun idea, I would be interested in taking part in something like this. :thumbup: The LOR model sounds like a good start. How do they assign rankings at the beginning? Or does everyone start at the bottom rank and then rely on a honour system of challenging builders of equal or slightly higher skill until everyone finds a comfortable level? (Personally, i prefer an honour system as i think ppl can get a bit fixated on rank and their perceived place in a hierarchy)

Other questions - how long do contestants have for each challenge? Are there "rounds" of challenges when everyone is invited to nominate their preferred builder to compete against, or is it just a free- for-all, anyone can challenge anytime? I can imagine also that some builders might want to take a break now and then from this sort of competition, should there be rules about how long ppl can take between challenges, or how many challenges they can decline before being removed from the list of competitors?

I'm sure ppl can think of other questions about how this might be run, i'm just throwing out some for starters. :classic:

I think this is a great idea! some more flare for the guilds, I'm keen!

I like the idea, so if we start something, count me in :wink:.

@Gabe, I'd assume that it would be possible to decline any challenge (I signed up for the LoR one quite a while ago, but haven't participated recently, without any problems or hassle). As for length, LoR specifies (I believe) a default deadline of two weeks for building, one week for other members to judge. The building deadline can be extended or otherwise if both builders agree. We could run off a similar system if we wanted to.

Personally, I think it would be a pretty good idea, but I'm not sure if we should make it a long term installment; likely it would either fade out or bury other just plain free-builds.

I have to agree with Kai that while it would be a good idea for a short while, it would become repetitive and boring after a time. I would also suggest that we do not use the same point system that LoR has, as that puts those who are excellent builders at a disadvantage if they do not have as much time to challenge or accept challenges as others (like Gabe, I would much prefer an honour system, where there are not in specific categories of builders). However, that said, I do see how this idea, with a lot of work, could work and help people improve their building skills.

I like the overall idea. If you come up with something concrete you can count me in!

I agree with Kai, but perhaps we could have a yearly revolution for the moc-offs? Perhaps say two months for each year?

Right now seems like a good time for something like this. GoH is kind of between major stuff so it's quiet hereabouts. Tough to even get much response even for a big MOC like my last one. Well, big for me anyway.