Zerobricks

Collaboration/Group Project Brainstorming

I volunteer as a builder. I dont't exactly know what you mean with 'serious', but I'm willing to do some thinking and building in LDD and with physical bricks, in fact I started to elaborate on my earlier suggestion:

As mentioned before, I used the 8258 as a starting point. I roughly built 4 simple modules: a steering module with a chassis height of 5L, a steering module with a chassis height of 3L, a rear wheel module with a driven axle and a rear wheel module without drive. I joined them crudely so that the chassis has the length of the original 8258 truck. Still very early days, but the image below illustrates the general idea.

711iqe.jpg

I already ran into some interesting issues which will need to be solved or defined at the start of this project, for example:

- Does the chassis need to be part of the module? if it is, the load bearing structure is interrupted at each module, possibly making the transition very bulky.

- In this model there is a need for two chassis heights: 5L for most parts, 3L where the fake engine and the cabine sit.

- Something similar is true for the chassis width as can be seen

Suggestions and ideas?

I suggest that any new stuff you build you add as a group later on.. Its simple you select chassis and add it as group.. The next guy who adds stuff selects all BUT the chassis (inverse select option) and adds to second group, and so on, so each builder has a group.

I think the chassis can be 3 studs tall from start to finish, unless we are gonna put depleted uranium on it.

I suggest that any new stuff you build you add as a group later on.. Its simple you select chassis and add it as group.. The next guy who adds stuff selects all BUT the chassis (inverse select option) and adds to second group, and so on, so each builder has a group.

I think the chassis can be 3 studs tall from start to finish, unless we are gonna put depleted uranium on it.

Good idea, we could make a depleted uranium transporter :laugh:

I volunteer as a builder. I dont't exactly know what you mean with 'serious', but I'm willing to do some thinking and building in LDD and with physical bricks, in fact I started to elaborate on my earlier suggestion:

As mentioned before, I used the 8258 as a starting point. I roughly built 4 simple modules: a steering module with a chassis height of 5L, a steering module with a chassis height of 3L, a rear wheel module with a driven axle and a rear wheel module without drive. I joined them crudely so that the chassis has the length of the original 8258 truck. Still very early days, but the image below illustrates the general idea.

711iqe.jpg

I already ran into some interesting issues which will need to be solved or defined at the start of this project, for example:

- Does the chassis need to be part of the module? if it is, the load bearing structure is interrupted at each module, possibly making the transition very bulky.

- In this model there is a need for two chassis heights: 5L for most parts, 3L where the fake engine and the cabine sit.

- Something similar is true for the chassis width as can be seen

Suggestions and ideas?

Why is the steering on the second set of wheels?

That would make the truck not drive well, because the second set of wheels would split the truck in two as the front wheels are going forward, leading the truck there, while the second set is just messing it all up and going in the wrong direction. Steering is ALWAYS the first (or sometimes last) set of wheels

Lose them double tires, it makes it too wide there, and the axles would have less control and bend a bit

Good LDD work though, and it is good apart from that

And it is too high, as Zblj said.

Good idea, we could make a depleted uranium transporter :laugh:

Why is the steering on the second set of wheels?

That would make the truck not drive well, because the second set of wheels would split the truck in two as the front wheels are going forward, leading the truck there, while the second set is just messing it all up and going in the wrong direction. Steering is ALWAYS the first (or sometimes last) set of wheels

Lose them double tires, it makes it too wide there, and the axles would have less control and bend a bit

Good LDD work though, and it is good apart from that

And it is too high, as Zblj said.

Anton truck has steering on both front axles like the real one... You can also add the rear axle's steering for even beter steering radius.

Edited by Zblj

Next iteration: I made the modules more structurally sound. In the image below I separated them from the rest of the chassis. As you can see this chassis is interrupted, which is not really ideal for the rigidity.

10rqmub.jpg

As mentioned, I copied the 8258 design, which means that the second steering axle has a geared reduction on the steering. In other words, the wheels of the second axle will follow a turning circle with a different radius, but with the same centre point. This eliminates the problem you described. My 8258 MOD even as steering on the last axle as well, with an even bigger reduction in the steering angle. It is very common on European trucks (at least here in the Netherlands).

The chassis height of 5L is again based on the 8258. In my opinion it will create space for later, more complex mechanisms such a suspension, PF and/or RC components, gearboxes, outriggers, etc. And although I'm not planning to transport depleted uranium, battery boxes, XL motors and large cargo modules on this scale will add up to a considerable total weight of the model.

As for the double rear tires, I think they are needed for a realistic look of a truck. But I'm aware that the space they require is a big price to pay.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Anton truck has steering on both front axles like the real one... You can also add the rear axle's steering for even beter steering radius.

**** I didn't see the steering on the front wheels :blush:

This is starting to look like a [HELP] topic

I have added a steered axle module with pendulum suspension, and two central modules. One has four M motors, the other one is empty, but has folding doors as can be seen on the 8258. This last one could be used to house switches for PF, gearboxes and/or or pneumatics.

In an attempt to standardise the frame, I came up with the following rule of thumb: the upper part of the frame is continuous and shouldn't be interrupted by the modules. In the image below this is represented by the green liftarms.

The lower part of the frame can be interrupted by the modules, but this means that the modules should be strong and rigid enough to be load bearing.

313hdav.jpg

That is all I have time for at the moment, I'm very interested to see and hear ideas, suggestions and modules of other builders.

Is there already a dropbox available to upload files or is there another option to share the lxf file I have so far?

So far, I didn't have a particular truck in mind. Maybe a European Volvo truck as a sort of tribute to the upcoming 42030? On the other hand I like long nosed trucks, but due to regulations, there are very few here in the Netherlands and I like to build what I see around me. As for the cargo, ... maybe a car transporter, that is rather rare in Technic MOCS?. I have some other interesting ideas about the cargo, but I want to tinker with them in LDD to test the feasibility.

Anyway, here is the lxf-files of the modules I have shown earlier:

https://www.dropbox....rationTruck.lxf

I hope it inspires some builders here to improve, add and combine modules.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Ill have a crack at refining it just give me a shout.

SNIPE

That is looking good people. Using LDD is a good idea as you can share the file, make changes etc. I will keep an eye on this.

H :thumbup:

At the moment I don't have much free time to design and build. Maybe other builders feel inspired and could start to work on one of the following modules:

- Retractable rear axle module, actuated by pneumatics or mini-LA's, double tires if possible. It should be able to bear some load when lowered (perferably with a 'locked position' similar to an airplane landing gear)

- Rear axle module with suspension (springs), double tires if possible

- Steered rear axle module, built-in steering angle reduction

- Front axle module with suspension (springs), probably 5L frame height.

- Middle module with 8258 crane for example, should include neccesary manual drive or motor(s) and controls in my opinion. Battery box (if needed) should not be included in this module, as this will probably be housed somewhere else in the truck depending on available space of a certain design.

- Front axle module, with Ackerman steering and realistic steering angle. (suspension optional)

- Cabine module(s) with a chosen style (European, American, etc), possibly several versions (sleeper cab, daycab, etc). Beware of the scale when designing these modules, the 8258 was critised for being too narrow in relation to its height. Bonus points for nice colorschemes

- Truck engine modules, mayby mimicing famous real engines, a standardised interface (drive, mounting, ...) with the other modules must be designed as well.

- Other proposals for modules are welcome of course.

Please take a look at the lxf file of 'my' modules before and during designing to make any new modules as compatible as possible.

Any improvements of the modules I made are welcome as well.

I have seen many great MOC's of trucks at this scale, so i'm convinced this project could turn out great.

Happy building!

Edited by Cumulonimbus

I think first we must agree on what to build :classic:

Ideas?

So is there a definite idea of what to build or are you still looking for ideas?

I'm only following this project from the sideline, but a modular build with different outcomes seems like a nice idea.

Base chassis for a truck (for example).

Cabin (can have different versions)

Different setups (crane, container, garbage truck)

"Universal Truck Chassis"

With this approach more people can build different modules.

PS what Cumulonimbus said :laugh:

I second what Jim said,but someone will need to decide if it would be a ridged truck or a tractor and trailer. :classic:

It can be both.

With a proper frame, you can add a hitch for trailers or remove the hitch for add ons

It can be both.

With a proper frame, you can add a hitch for trailers or remove the hitch for add ons

In real live it is two different chassis,but yes you could make a modular version in Lego that would allow you to do both.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

This is my Man TGM cab. It has a locking mechanism for the tilting and a blocking linkage, both doors can be opened, an easy removable Batteries Box. The bumper as space for LEDs an for rooting a winch cable.

LDD:

14394554290_f0f9b6a7ce_c.jpg

Man tgx cab par Ti_Max, sur Flickr

And on a Moc :

14579417974_eca7c0b819_c.jpg

Man tgx dumper par Ti_Max, sur Flickr

Edited by Ti-Max

I've been following this thread over the last few days. I second Jim's proposal of a universal modular truck chassis. Cumulonimbus rough drafts are a great start. Unfortunately I'm still a beginner in constructing models.

My suggestion:

There should be a central modular mainframe with a height of 3L. Similar to the mainframe of Madocas Wing Body Truck. Being modular would allow it to be altered easily for various variants like 2, 3 or 4 axle trucks.

The mainframe would sport mounting points for axle modules (preferable suspended) and other modules like PF stuff for propulsion, compressors, or transmission/multiplex gearboxes.

Payloads, tools, etc, would need to bring their own supporting 1-2L frame with them. This would enable us to switch the purpose of the truck with a few hand strokes.

So far, my ideas.