Zerobricks

Collaboration/Group Project Brainstorming

Good idea but it might struggle in reality. There is only one way to find out.

H

Zblj, i'm a noob and don't have much to bring to the table, except my 69 muscle car body design, but i would sure want to know, if anyone would be interested in making a compact, functional and efficient chassis (which would leave as much free space inside the body as possible - for a proper interior, etc.) for it, which is technically on par with the visuals of the body design. It could be either a chassis for a normal or a monster truck style chassis - either would be fun and the body would look good on both. If you or anyone else here is interested, i'd be very intrigued.

Maybe for start we could use LDD and make a chassis? Everyone taking turns at refining it?

Edited by Zblj

I would be totally into it - a collaborative "open source" project :) If it is kept open and more people participate with input, ideas, solutions, i'm sure really great results can be achieved. The body design of my 69 has also been developed in LDD, but has not seen any real-life tests yet. As mentioned i'm glad to share it and i have no intention on charging money for instructions or the LXF file.

I haven't updated the LXF file in my original thread for a long time, but that's just because i have been constantly working on it and it became tedious to upload every incarnation to an external file server. I'll put up a couple of new LDD files of various versions that i have done so far soon - i want to polish them a bit before i do so.

There are things that i still have to iron out, but the basic design has reached the stage, where i can't think of much that could be improved or changed (at least aesthetically). A different question would be alternative ways to structurally make it more stable/rigid, how to implement door/hood/trunk opening mechanisms, etc. But it would probably make more sense to solve structural issues (at least some of them) once it is known what are the requirements or limitations set by the chassis and vice versa.

Edited by VintageCharlie

how about a technic 3 axle truck and trailer

one scale for everything and one latching mechanism at a set height.

Then users can work on trucks, trailers and loads

Couldn't this thread spark a couple of collaborative projects? Or do you think it would be better to decide on one thing, so it would be more intense and focused on one particular project?

It would be interesting indeed! For practical reasons, I think a co-op project is best suited for LDD, as most people find it easy to use. A shared dropbox folder would make it possible for anyone in the project to work on the same model, suggest changes, etc etc.. :thumbup:

This is a really interesting idea and I look forward to seeing what transpires.

Sure we can do mayn and people choose what they want to participate in... Maybe make a topic like [COL]xxxxxx for projects?

That sounds good to me, as there are so many different kind of builds that people are into and often specific fields in which they are real masters. Focusing everything on one project might leave many skilled brains out of the game only because they are interested in different kind of things.

The risk is though that it might end up being similar to [HELP] threads, in which people participate with advice, but don't get really involved. Though i suppose that, as soon as someone sees it as a collaboration, he is ready to participate in a completely different and much more involved and ambitious way, as it is also about his own creation, which he shares with others.

Edited by VintageCharlie

Is Bricksmith or MLCAD compatible with LDD? Those are the only two LEGO design programs that I half-way know how to use.

Not really,but LDD is easy to pick up. :sweet:

Is Bricksmith or MLCAD compatible with LDD? Those are the only two LEGO design programs that I half-way know how to use.

No, not directly. LDD can be coverted to MLCAD with some missing parts, but you can't convert the other way.

Not really,but LDD is easy to pick up. :sweet:

I actually find LDD extremely difficult. I can't make much of anything in it. I would really like to learn SR3D.

No, not directly. LDD can be coverted to MLCAD with some missing parts, but you can't convert the other way.

I think LDD manager can be used to convert the file the other way around?

Collaborative in that everyone tweaks what others have made or in the sense of relay build in that you build on top of what's been done by others?

If you are looking to do a relay build, I've coordinated the last LDD relay community build and would totally be willing to help you set it up and help you with the logistics of the build!

I am all for anyhting that is positive for Technic, but collaborations are just something that is never going to get anywhere... Too many different styles of building.. I have people sending me good ideas all of the time, but I just don't have the desire to work with anyone else's ideas...

Okay guys, looks like this got a lot of attention overnight. Maybe we should move this topic to LDD subforum? Here's an idea. Anyone who wants help with LDD model, just make a topic like [COL] chassis, and than people take turns.

Like Mr.X says My turn and he tweaks the models for a day or two, than he relases it and someone else can ahve a ago untill the original poster is satisfied?

OR we could make a common large project, but thats more like city-space style...

Sounds interesting, but the feasibility is questionable. It would be great if we can accomplish a community built project.

I will follow this topic and move it to LDD if it's necessary.

Yeah we need to organize, make a pipeline.

Maybe make a common brickshelf folder so everyone ahs the username and pass and uplaod versions... Each version also has a unique name so you know who is the last to modify it like this:

SupercarV1.00Zblj.lxf

SupercarV1.01Jim.lxf

SupercarV1.02Lipko.lxf

and so on, so you can follow the changes and keep originals...

I'm definitely up for this, and have thought about posting an ideas like this before. I usually use LDD as well, so that could work out.