Sign in to follow this  
Technic Builder

Best tool for cutting/modifying bionicles parts into useful connectors

I have a big box of random bionicles parts. I've already sorted out all of the "standard" bionicle pieces like balls and cups. Basically anything I think could be useful in its current configuration. What's left over is of course a bunch of proprietary pieces. About 25% of those pieces seem like they could be useful if some of the decorative parts of plastic were cut off.

I looked at small band saws and scroll saws last night on Amazon, but I'm not sure if these tools would be the best. I'd of course want a guide / rail and set up a jig so I can make exact cuts along the edges of the pieces. My main concern is finding a blade designed to cut plastic where the teeth are all in a row and not "jagged" from left to right. My other concern is melting plastic.

I'll also note I have a dremel tool, but those would be freehand cuts and I think it's best to avoid doing those when possible.

So I'm looking for recommendations for guided cutting tools for legos, preferably from those who have experience making clean cuts.

noooooooo!!!!! dont do it! sell the parts or just keep them and bricklink what you need. coz that would be a cardinal sin!

I only cut and destroy my #3 red axle connectors and my 19L black soft flex axles... everything else I sell. ; )

Edited by Osuharding1

I only cut and destroy my #3 red axle connectors and my 19L black soft flex axles... everything else I sell.

have you seen the price of the 19L soft axles on bricklink €24.99!!!!! each!!!

wow your not scared!

have you seen the price of the 19L soft axles on bricklink €24.99!!!!! each!!!

He was being facetious.

Bionicle parts are evil, so cutting them up seems only natural. In the past, I have bought certain Bionicle sets on clearance in order to pirate the Technic parts out of them. I tried to sell the remaining Bionicle parts on Bricklink but no one would buy them no matter how cheap I made them, not even for $0.01 each. I finally gave them away.

Purists drive me nuts..so hears a tip :grin::thumbup:

If your referencing the material I think you are - webbing etc. - use the Dremel for most of the material removal. You don't want to cut right to the edge, cut close then remove the rest of the material with the file. Some fine (300+ grit) sand paper to finish it off, and voila!

I only cut and destroy my #3 red axle connectors and my 19L black soft flex axles... everything else I sell. ; )

Time to start buying white ones... :wink: