This is work in progress topic for my possible entry: Technic remake of the classic 6989 Mega Core Magnetizer. At the moment part count is 222.

Functions:

3 levers on rear which fully control crane arm.

Crane pan left/right

Crane tilt up/down

Crane zoom forward/backward

Simple steering

Openable cabin

For now I am not satisfied how the cabin window looks. This is the hardest part to mimic because the original Magnetizer has the iconic trans neon yellow cabin window.

minicore3.jpg

minicore2.jpg

minicore1.jpg

original.jpg

Original Magnetizer for reference :)

Nice little model

I'm not familiar with the original magnetiser but looking at the picture you've provided I think you've interpreted it really well.

@drakmin - This is a nice interpretation of a classic set :thumbup:

Having a trans neon green windscreen would make this just about perfect.

The rear right wheels look different (2nd image). Did you run out of balloon wheels?

Very unique idea! I used to have that set and loved it. You've captured the basic lines of it well.

Great entry! Lot of functions in a very small scale, i love it! Good copy of the big brother!

Love it!

Remember wanting this set badly when I was around five years old, and I was initially pretty disappointed when I got the much smaller Spectral Starguider for Christmas instead...

6933-1.jpg?1

The rear right wheels look different (2nd image). Did you run out of balloon wheels?

I thought I would get away with 2 wrong tires :D You guessed right, my tire collection is limited since I don't normally build vehicles with wheels. I'll change the tires later and also change the rims to black. Other option would be to use hard plastic wheels like on the original but I think it would reduce the Technic theme feeling too much.

Remember wanting this set badly when I was around five years old, and I was initially pretty disappointed when I got the much smaller Spectral Starguider for Christmas instead...

Heh I wanted it too and also never got it, partly the motivation for this build :)

Good creation. It does not look like it uses so many parts, hope you can get it within the part count.

It's a good job.

H

A wonderful mini Technic version of the original set. The functions are simple yet well designed in a small space. I like it a lot.

You could replace the angle connectors in the canopy with flex axles or find a trans yellow canopy to make it become more like the original set. It would be even better with a HOG steering in it, but considering the high number of parts already, this would be a no.

Do I see two black 3 x 0.5 beams at the very back of the crane base (behind the red panels)? If you replace it with a 3 beam you can save one part ;) Anyhow, yes I think black flex axles for the cabin are your best bet to save some parts. A trans-yellow system part would look out of place.

For the rest, a lovely model, and good job on fitting the crane functions.

The crane is a little confusing. It looks like if the crane is panned 90 degrees to either side, then the tilt function would become a roll function. Is that the case? Also how is the zoom function transferred through the turret if the turret is tilting? Can you show a video of it in operation?

The crane is a little confusing. It looks like if the crane is panned 90 degrees to either side, then the tilt function would become a roll function. Is that the case? Also how is the zoom function transferred through the turret if the turret is tilting? Can you show a video of it in operation?

Yes currently the tilt goes out of phase when panned too much. Zoom works already on all positions since there's a u joint going through the small turntable. I'm trying to arrange the parts differently to maintain tilt on all panning positions but it is really hard since I dont want the mechanism any larger :) Next iteration should be better on all aspects.