Sign in to follow this  
Lord Vladivus

SONE Freebuild 3: Ambush on Kashyyyk

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

The Engineer dropped Vladivus off on Kashyyyk as promised. Vladivus managed to find his way to the Rebels with the use of his trusty speeder bike.

14496844495_dfed19c866_c.jpg

Vladivus met a Rebel commander there, and they discussed Vladivus' desires to join the rebellion.

14495533004_44aa527f75_c.jpg

However, their conversation was interrupted by a Rebel Commando sat at a scanner nearby,

14495540204_6fe8fe85b4_c.jpg

Rebel Trooper: "Sir, incoming Imperial troopers."

14310195560_e2f2e7afc9_c.jpg

The Imperial troops fired at the Rebels, but their shot were inaccurate and merely peppered the underside of the platform...

14495546284_22ecdb0fe9_c.jpg

...Whilst Vladivus and the Rebel commander opened fire on the Imperials with pinpoint accuracy...

14310200160_d31a8d0639_c.jpg

...And soon the Imperials were dead.

Vladivus is now awaiting orders.

SONE freebuild 3, C+C welcome. This was mainly me having some fun building Wookiee habitats! I'd like this one judged.

Great Job Vladivus! The detailing if the tree and ground look great! Keep up the good work!

Good job. Those trees look nice with all the random foliage, and I like the simplicity of the rebel shelters. I like how you've done the front end of that speeder bike too...any chance of a close up of the whole bike ?

And he just keeps the nice builds coming, although this time I'm somewhat more sceptical because my comrades are being killed here... But let's play nice :grin:

I think you've made for Kashyyk wath the Ewok village was for Endor: a pretty big, detailed and believable piece of vegetation headquarters. I like the varied landscape at the base. There's dense foliage, plain spots, water, lonesome stems... An incredible biotope on a tiny spot, and still it feels coherent. Maybe that's because you left enough breathing space for each and every section. And with a good result! It doesn't distract, but certainly offers a nice treat when you look closer. So very, very good job with making that landscape alien and natural! And the fact that the base is irregular is worth a bonus point as well. It isn't executed perfectly though. That narrower section of the base is great to divide the scene up in the two trees, but with these irregular bases, you should avoid sharp angles, and go a little bit more convex. It's like with natural phenomena: you don't often see say a lake with those very acute angles. Instead, it's more of a convex business, where little intrusions can exist of course. Think natural, like with creating that foliage.

The trees themselves aren't boring at all, and I like how one has got some very nice branches with amazing foliage (good combo of plant pieces there!) making for a very unique shape. The texture of the central part of the tree isn't optimal, however. The way you've built it, with all those angles in seemingly random directions, makes it look more like rockwork than like vegetation. It's good to want some texture, but trees have some kind of order in them. Basically, they have a rather straightforward trunk. It can have texture, but that doesn't stick out that mudge. You can have small ridges and holes though. So the detail there is more subtle. Then, the tree also has some branches. These will have to do the biggest part of detailing. But when building, you always need to be sure whether you're building the trunk, or are starting with a branch. With your design of the trunk right now, all kinds of branches seem to want to come out, but none does, leaving us with a rather indecisive looking tree, if you see what I mean. Select a few of those starts, and make them real branches. They can even have broken off, as long as there is a contrast with the more ordered trunk. That will make your construction more a tree and less a heap of slopes (I hope that doesn't sound too harsh!).

The platforms in the trees are very nice and very Kashyyk-like. They blend in well with the environment, but they have a certain kind of technological appearance, making this Star Wars again. You conveyed that well with those clip pieces. That was a good decision! The grey also helps a lot. Yet, it looks in place because you kept the tone right, and mixed it with elements like those pieces of vegetation and that very primitive-looking bridge, without too much order in it. It is great to see steps of varying sizes and shapes, and it helps to tell us that those were all just grabbed from nature. It are those kind of details that tell stories, and I'm glad to see they're slipping into your builds. A detail that is missing however, is a ladder or any kind of mean to get up in the tree, because now I just assume they use magic. A little rope ladder, of just a plain rope would solve that. And the equipment the Rebel is using to detect the troopers seems a bit generic. Add a little antenna, maybe even solar panels to power it here in the wild. Making everything portable or improvisionary, you could make this look like a base that could be abandonned at any time when needed, thus telling us more about the Rebels.

All in all, I like this build. Especially the top and the bottom section (the middle could use some work). It's nice to discover your character in this way, more through wtaching his deeds than hearing him talk. So I'm beginning to get quite enthusiastic about your story, and then i'm willing to forget how awkward it is that Vladivus managed to get his bike on board of that ship unseen... :laugh:

Great MOC, I'd say that the bridge could do with a little more work (e.g making the rail stretch the whole length), but other than that, I'm very impressed!

Thanks BEAVeR for your input- I really appreciate it and the time you must go to to write it! I totally get the tree thing- it's not my strong point when building. When I build castle stuff, it's usually in Nocturnus for GoH, so it's dark wastelands or swamp, with not too many trees. It's something I need to practice! I did use rock techniques for these trees- force of habit from the pieces I was using!

Thanks Sir Brickalot!

WOW!

A really good build!

Would be a great addition to the Ewok Village :wink: .

Nice Details and the story is great too!

markus

Great MOC!

It's like they say! "Stormtroopers couldn't hit a sand-crawler from point-blank range!"