Lord Vladivus

SONE Freebuild 2: Stowaway on the Dujan.

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

After Vladivus had discovered the rebel beacon, he attempted to stowaway on a ship bound for Kashyyyk; the Dujan. However, the budding Rebel was discovered by an astromech and a rather disgruntled engineer.

14325565270_4af9d9b675_c.jpg

R2-Q6: "Beep boop!"

14325619609_77b7ea40eb_c.jpg

Engineer: "What do you think you're doing on board the Dujan?"

14532325323_7faf44fb1e_c.jpg

Vladivus realised he didn't have much chance of lying, so told his story to the Engineer, and produced the Rebel beacon. It turned out the Engineer was a closet Rebel sympathiser, and promised to drop Vladivus off on Kashyyyk, and point him in the direction of the some Rebels.

C+c welcome, second freebuild for SONE. I'd like this one judged!

EDIT: New photos added, as I rejigged the build slightly.

Aha, great job exploring the possibuildities of the Star Wars MOCcing universe :sweet: .

You did something completely different this time, but it paid offf nicely! You've created a very nice small piece of ship. And what's more, it's perfectly fit for the Star Wars universe. On one hand, you have the very neat floor. I don't remember seeing that technique before, but I must admit it's wonderful. It gives detail and texture to an otherwise neglected floor. It also gives some nice structure in your build. The best part, however, is that you went a step further. I like the little inconsistencies, braking everything up. The battered look you created is just perfect, with the different colors, different textures, assymmetry... And you installed variation in it. Excellent! It's good that you didn't just include detail by the means of impurities, but also included details that aren't there by accident. Examples are that grill in the middle of the floor and that dome in the top left corner. They are very present and every meaningful, so it was great to include those. And everything is present very nicely, with that clean border and even a glimpse of detail behind the door. Very good stuff!

I can still offer some advice though :grin: . I wouldn't change anything about the present things, I would just add some more. Like the detail behind the door. It would have been great if there were some kind of corridor (maybe even with a bend, so that we don't see the end and only see Lego), to give the in-universe perspective, making it look more like this is a tiny part of an entire ship, waiting to be explored. That would place this little vignette more in its context. It doesn't even need to be much, since it will be out of focus anyway. the mere presence of the continuating would be enough to 'enlarge' the MOC a lot for the viewer. Also, right now, the room is kind of empty and doesn't tell a lot of a story. I think the room should somehow indicate that our Vladivus has stayed there for a while. Maybe some crates behind which he could hide (it would make sense to place him in the cargo area, as that is the place where he was most likely to enter the ship). Maybe a sack of food could be present. Again, it doesn't have to be much, as long as it gives us a visual indication of him being a strowaway. As viewers, it would help a lot to understand the story not only because some one is telling what has happened, but because you can see the story in everything. Builds are not just builds and stories aren't just stories. They enhance, support and nourish each other.

So I think, you've (already!) found a good way of depicting this new area for you. Now you can begin to use that comfort to bring us something worthwhile. I'm really looking forward to see you take that step!

A very nice and detailed build. I too like the dark red to split all the grayness and the use of SNOTed brick bricks gives a nice floor effect. The fact that there's a small hallway behind the door is also nice even if it's only a few studs, it adds a little extra to the MOC. My MOCs usually end right behind the door and thus the doors are usually closed ...

There's a sugestion I have and it's about the border - maybe it's just my personal taste - but I'd either skip the border or, make it go around the whole base, so that the wall does not end the border (make wall one stud shorter on each side). Because as it is, it looks like the room has some LBG tiles around the DBG floor, but these are one plate higher for no reason ... but anyway, I think that borders are more common for the outside builds, if you want a square base. In this case I think you could do well with some piping under the floor sticking out and get some iregularity of the base, to make the MOC even more interesting. Or, leave it as it is, but make the border really stand out, so that it's clear that the LBG tilles are not part of the room!

Points well observed MstrOfPppts! I'll have a bash at altering it, now you've mentioned it, it's really bugging me!

I really like the greebles: NPU with the Buzz Droid wing! I like your MOC's elegant simplicity, proving that less is more! Again, well done Lord Vladivus!

First post has been updated showing improvements(?) to original build, taking into account points made! Original post below in spoiler tags.

After Vladivus had discovered the rebel beacon, he attempted to stowaway on a ship bound for Kashyyyk; the Dujan. However, the budding Rebel was discovered by an astromech and a rather disgruntled engineer.

14310153310_63ae661252_c.jpg

R2-Q6: "Beep boop!"

14493416031_6cf9e51ccc_c.jpg

Engineer: "What do you think you're doing on board the Dujan?"

14310350507_112f9ffcfd_c.jpg

Vladivus realised he didn't have much chance of lying, so told his story to the Engineer, and produced the Rebel beacon. It turned out the Engineer was a closet Rebel sympathiser, and promised to drop Vladivus off on Kashyyyk, and point him in the direction of the some Rebels.

C+c welcome, second freebuild for SONE. I'd like this one judged!

An amazing vignette just got a whole lot better! the base now does seem fitting, and that hallway has turned out beautifully (am I glad that my suggestion made sense :grin: )!!! I really like the detailing and the way the light show in creates a very nice effect. I don't think there's much to improve on now (except perhaps getting those crates away from the wall, because they clutter that area a bit, and you have enough free space), and now you've really set the bar high for your future builds. I am very pleased :laugh:

Yes, the border does lok a lot better in my opinion. For the wall in the hallway - I think you should give it an extra stud or two space, so that it wouldn't look so tight in there ...

Thanks guys!

MstrOfPuppets- I found the whole wall thing interesting, as I wanted to make it cramped. A learning curve certainly!

I've enjoyed the sci-Fi builds so there's bound to be more!

And again i can only say to your MOC - great work!

The snoted ground looks nice and all the details on the wall are fit perfectly with the overall look!

Another good entry.

markus