TheOneVeyronian

[MOC's / Customs] CHI Braptor, CHI Scorm and CHI Spinlyn

Hello again!

Here I present a slightly different set of MOC's to you. Seeing the new torso and it's ability to hold a Zamor Sphere inspired me to try and make the perhaps neglected Outlands tribes of Chima in Ultrabuild or CHI form, using the LOTR Palantir piece as their CHI orbs to match their green CHI weapons (this is also why I used a lot of trans-green shells and gave them green eyes). The MOC's feature custom moulded heads so they can have an aesthetic closer to that of the official LEGO Ultrabuilds (comparison image at the bottom of this post). Well, without further ado, here's the MOC's (sorry about the photography, the typical English weather did not want to cooperate when I did the photoshoot and I eventually had to fire the flash on them). Don't worry about the accuracy of the head colours to official LEGO colours, that's not the emphasis of these. The heads might be a bit small on some, I did run out of clay...

CHI Braptor. This should really be Sand Blue, but approximately zero constraction parts are made in this colour, so Titanium Metallic and Dark Stone Grey it had to be. I did get a chance to add some very dark blue when I painted the custom head though.

Front:

14303524139_c3c6b79496_c.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Braptor (custom head mould) 1 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Back:

14510249223_32275d942e_c.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Braptor (custom head mould) 2 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Action pose:

14467018516_9e1843dca0_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Braptor (custom head mould) 3 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Comparison to minifig:

14303536078_a5621f933f_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Braptor (custom head mould) 4 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

CHI Scorm: Probably the easiest of the three in terms of colours and structure. I found the new design shells to replicate his minifig armour quite well.

Front:

14303684987_167991cf9d_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Scorm (custom head mould) 1 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Back:

14303523769_6a3026e472_c.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Scorm (custom head mould) 2 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Action pose:

14303499150_88d50b9697_c.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Scorm (custom head mould) 3 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Comparison to minifig:

14467018016_56c60ba440_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Scorm (custom head mould) 4 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

CHI Spinlyn: The design of this was partly inspired by the Hero Factory Queen Beast, but it's not a direct copy. I'm quite happy with how this one turned out, but I'm not sure about the bulbous abdomen. If anyone has any better suggestions (other than the two half domes I'm currently using) that will make a large bulbous abdomen, please do say.

Front:

14490124525_98564469c6_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Spinlyn (custom head mould) 1 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Back:

14303523449_caa79bbdd9_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Spinlyn (custom head mould) 2 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Action pose:

14467017656_7bff8e5dae_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Spinlyn (custom head mould) 3 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

Comparison to minifig:

14303684227_765b869662_z.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC - CHI Spinlyn (custom head mould) 4 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

And finally, a comparison of the custom heads to a random official head. The random official head turned out to be that of CHI Panthar:

14490124165_c4d96b1600_c.jpg

LEGO Chima MOC's - Outlands Tribes Constraction (custom head moulds) and comparison to 70208 by TheOneVeyronian, on Flickr

That's it for now. Hope you like them and appreciate my work. Next on my list is hopefully an ultrabuild version of Rogon.

W-wow. That Scorm figure is ace! The rest is still good, but Scorm is my favorite. Very creative with those custom heads!

Edited by Crash Sanders

I agree, Scorm is my favorite. Braptor is very good too, even if his head is a bit weird (but the other two are better :wink: ). Where are the Chi zamor spheres from ?

My favourite one is Spinlyn, she looks simply awesome! I like Scorm too, really nice custom head. Braptor would be great too if he had rather trans blue pieces than trans green.

-H.unter

Edited by Hunter1

I agree, Scorm is my favorite. Braptor is very good too, even if his head is a bit weird (but the other two are better :wink: ). Where are the Chi zamor spheres from ?

The zamor spheres are from 10237 Tower of Orthanc. Unfortunately they are quite pricey (not quite as pricey as Braptor's wings though!)

My favourite one is Spinlyn, she looks simply awesome! I like Scorm too, really nice custom head. Braptor would be great too if he had rather trans blue pieces than trans green.

-H.unter

Good point about the colours on Braptor. I only used the trans-green to tie him in with the other Outlands tribes. Maybe I'll see how he looks with trans-blue, I do have a ton of that colour which I was hoarding for my Crystal Beast revamp, but it'll have to wait until the clouds clear :wink:

Scorm head is amazing, and I advise maybe using a star wars planet for Spinlyn's abdomen like this : https://www.flickr.c...55/12983048955/

Of course! That's a brilliant idea. Shame I don't have any of the SW planets, but I might just get the asteroid field one :thumbup:

Also I'd like to point out that maybe a grin on Braptor's head will make him look better.

Strictly speaking he does have a grin, but the photos don't really show it all too well. The paint jobs on the heads were supposed to be near exact print replicas of their minifig counterparts. Too hard to change it now though, the mouth of Braptor was actually scored into the clay before I baked it :sceptic:

But thanks for all your nice comments. This isn't the first time I've designed custom heads for constraction models, but it is the first time I've done them in clay (all the others which you may have seen, there's one or two on my Flickr actually, were paper and aluminium mesh). In case anyone's interested, I used FIMO polymer based clay for the heads, a material I've previously used for custom minifig heads.

*oh2* Wow these are great! I like your headmolds especially Scorm's he is the best. I think Spynlyn could have a bigger body, other than that these are all superb MOCs, Nice job!

The zamor spheres are from 10237 Tower of Orthanc. Unfortunately they are quite pricey (not quite as pricey as Braptor's wings though!)

Oh, I see. That's a good idea, well done ! And the wings are indeed expensive. *huh*

And the wings are indeed expensive. *huh*

That is very true.The simple looking Braptor cost about three times as much as the other two to make, mostly due to those wings :wacko: I would never forgive LEGO if they suddenly re-released those black wings though, given how much I shelled out for these two pristine examples :sceptic:

*oh2* Wow these are great! I like your headmolds especially Scorm's he is the best. I think Spynlyn could have a bigger body, other than that these are all superb MOCs, Nice job!

Thanks. I see what you're saying about Spinlyn, but to be honest, any bigger and I'd need to make a new, larger head mould. I already think her head is a weeny bit too small on her current body to be honest :wink:

I did recently think why Lego didn't do Ultrabuilds of these guys along with Rogon, Bladvic and ShadoWind. Seems to me like a good wave but I suppose they want to stick doing only 6/7 Ultrabuild figures outside the Hero Factory line per year. Anyways as for these mocs, the heads are okay but Braptors head is kinda weak one out of all and his weapon is not that good no offense. Other then that nicely done!