Mister Phes

Ambassador Project - Haven Guard Flag & Torso Designs

I'm not sure that we'll get that much different flags... Some backgrounds won't be used at all...

I'm not sure that we'll get that much different flags... Some backgrounds won't be used at all...

This is true but we won't know for sure until people start submitting flags...

Anymore opinions on how this poll should be conducted? Read this post for potential shortcomings.

I think you can eliminate the white-orange-white versions of the vertical stripes and broad horizontal stripes backgrounds. That reduces the possible guard flag combos from 32 to 24.

Also, with three of the four possible insignia being some version of crossed cannons, if there isn't a clear winner in the poll, you could treat those three options as one to see if there's a clear backgroud choice, then have a run-off poll between the cannons. I know I'm not explaing this well. Say you get 18 or 20 votes for background #1 with some form of crossed cannons, but no clear leader among the cannon options. If no other single background comes close to the votes for background #1 (or whichever), then run another poll (yes, I know, just what you want) with just the three cannon options on background #1. Essentially, I'm sugesting you view it as six background choices paired with two insignia choices(cannons or muskets). That makes for only 12 possibilities. If a clear insignia choice doesn't emerge, a run-off would only have three choices (one background and three cannons).

After reflecting on this for awhile, perhaps the easiest way to get a clear choice is to first vote just on the insignia. Four choices should produce a clear favorite. Then proceed to the background choice (with the chosen insignia). If limited to the guard flag, that is at most 8 choices, and some of them will not garner much if any support, so again a clear choice should emerge. Then one final poll to determine the background for the companion merchant flag. I know it's three polls, but by breaking it down you should get the clear prefences of the group.

I'm thinking two polls... The first to select the Haven Guard flag, the second to select the Merchant flag.

So using the Flag Generator voters will create and submit the three combinations they like most. Submitting three combinations should enable sufficient data to determine the most preferred flag. The second flag (I.e. the inverted Merchants flag) can be temporarily disabled on the generator.)

Once the Haven Guard flag is determined, voters will once again use the Flag Generator to create and submit one Merchant flag combination. The selected Haven Guard flag can be displayed as comparison in the same location the second flag currently occupies in the generator.

That sounds like it should work! Having everyone select their top three choices for the guard flag should provide enough info to determine a group favorite. Will the three choices be ranked (1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.) or basically all given equal weight? Either way should work; just curious.

Will the three choices be ranked (1st choice, 2nd choice, etc.) or basically all given equal weight?

For simplicity they'll be equally weighted so the flag with the most votes wins.

I haven't been here for a few days only, and so many posts!

That flag generator is superb! As for the voting, I think two votes, each for one guard/merchant flag would be enough. Or you can use my favourite, the condorcet method, but I'm not sure it can be used when you don't vote for all the possibilities.

As for the name "beach towel" you can insult all the people of Israel and Thaliand.

So I removed the 2nd inverted flag on the generator. Do we have more backgrounds or emblems to add?

As for the name "beach towel" you can insult all the people of Israel and Thaliand.

Those are countries with nice beaches... But I agree, we shouldn't mock a flag design as some may be offended.

Do we have more backgrounds or emblems to add?

Not unless someone submits them in the next couple of days. I'd like this poll ready by the weekend.

I'm not following, how is that insulting to the people of Israel and Thaliand?

I'm not following, how is that insulting to the people of Israel and Thaliand?

Those countries have beach towel-like pattern in their flags.

Ah yeah, that certainly is a stretch. It seems unlikely a person of either nationality would draw the connection between the Haven Guard flag looking like a beach towel and their own flag. But someone from Israel or Thailand correct if I'm wrong!

The Haven Guard flag was likened to a beach towel because of the wavy horizontal lines at the top and bottom - just because a flag has horizontal lines doesn't mean it looks like a beach towel!

For example, Thailand's flag:

thailand-flag.gif

Do you want to remove the crossed anchors insignia as an option for the guard flag? Or is using it for both the guard and merchant flags under consideration?

Do you want to remove the crossed anchors insignia as an option for the guard flag? Or is using it for both the guard and merchant flags under consideration?

I'd prefer limiting the Crossed Anchors insignia to the Merchants but I'm happy to take more opinions as I won't have time to create the poll until the weekend.

Also, as humorous a touch the Hello Kitty logo is, we should perhaps remove in case some voters share this humour and actually use it. We'll need as many authentic votes as possible.

I'd prefer limiting the Crossed Anchors insignia to the Merchants but I'm happy to take more opinions as I won't have time to create the poll until the weekend.

Also, as humorous a touch the Hello Kitty logo is, we should perhaps remove in case some voters share this humour and actually use it. We'll need as many authentic votes as possible.

That would be the first time someone shares my humour... Anyway it's done pirate_classic.gif

Shame I couldn't check on the debate this past week - I wondered if the anchors+barrel+crown pattern didn't look too crowded or "busy". Not sure if it would work on the small "2x2" flag, if this flag would be used. I might have suggested removing the crown or the barrel, or at least making the barrel black. Though it looks like this wouldn't have much support, since no else mentioned it. Nvm, these are all nice designs, and my votes lie elsewhere.

Your comment on the 2 x 2 flag is really clever,I didn't thought about it. By the way I'm absolutely sure of the reason of my vote, not just for the look :)

Shame I couldn't check on the debate this past week - I wondered if the anchors+barrel+crown pattern didn't look too crowded or "busy". Not sure if it would work on the small "2x2" flag, if this flag would be used. I might have suggested removing the crown or the barrel, or at least making the barrel black.

The 2x2 flag doesn't need to have the exact same design as the larger 6 x 4 flag.

In the case of the Imperial Soldiers the 2x2 was simplified - although The Cook may have something to say about production costs in regards to having two different designs.

post-273-0-47494800-1407189394_thumb.png

post-273-0-52202300-1407189368_thumb.jpg

I'm still surprised that so many people are voting for flags with the Imperial Guard's cannons rather than a unique design.

Dunno about other voters reasons, but speaking for myself, your own cannons are too detailed (thus not very LEGO-like) for my taste, thats why I prefer the other designs.

I dont think it matters that much, If TLG picks this up, Im sure they would modify the design as they see fit.

May I say: I've voted just one flag, and I confirm my vote, but in case of parity between a muskeet logo and another logo my vote goes to muskeet? Or I have to choose other two flags?

I'm still surprised that so many people are voting for flags with the Imperial Guard's cannons rather than a unique design.

I'm not surprised at all. People want there to be continuity/connections to the older Pirate lines. It is nostalgia. I have no problem if you want to tweak the cannons/crown design but we were basically presented with minor variations and this is the nicest looking version. I voted for that design because it says to me "LEGO pirates" and "soldiers" while the change in colours is good enough to distinguish the factions.

These flags both use crossed cannons and crown designs and yet there is no difficulty seeing these as different factions:

2525px2.jpg2525px1.jpg

Dunno about other voters reasons, but speaking for myself, your own cannons are too detailed (thus not very LEGO-like) for my taste, thats why I prefer the other designs.

I dont think it matters that much, If TLG picks this up, Im sure they would modify the design as they see fit.

I'm not surprised at all. People want there to be continuity/connections to the older Pirate lines. It is nostalgia. I have no problem if you want to tweak the cannons/crown design but we were basically presented with minor variations and this is the nicest looking version. I voted for that design because it says to me "LEGO pirates" and "soldiers" while the change in colours is good enough to distinguish the factions.

This is basically why I voted for crossed cannons as my third choice. The continuity is nice, but I'd like for the cannons to be more LEGO-ish than the novel design. Ideally, the LEGO group would create a unique take on the crossed cannons that still looked like the piece we have.

These flags both use crossed cannons and crown designs and yet there is no difficulty seeing these as different factions:

2525px2.jpg2525px1.jpg

That is what I wanted to write and post pirate_classic.gif

Out of the 3 cannons, the 1st one looks best because it looks like LEGO cannons. Whether it is an already used design is irrelevant for me.

If TLG considers to make a faction based on these designs, they will use it without any change (very unlikely) or they will keep only the color scheme, or only the general idea of crossed cannons. Either way, it doesn't really matter what kind of cannons are in the flag.

If TLG considers to make a faction based on these designs, they will use it without any change (very unlikely) or they will keep only the color scheme, or only the general idea of crossed cannons. Either way, it doesn't really matter what kind of cannons are in the flag.

That statement is true for every aspect of this project however it's not a good attitude to possess.

In order to sell our concept the aim is to produce a fully realised LEGO Pirate sub-theme, so we cannot adopt a "just submit whatever because the LEGO Group will change it" attitude as we cannot predict what the LEGO Group will do.

We want to impress them with new ideas, no rehash what they've already done, and if we come up with something good enough, they may well use it as is, with little modification.