Mister Phes

Ambassador Project - Haven Guard Flag & Torso Designs

First version of the generator... well for now it generate not much, it just put the choosen emblem on the choosen flag's background... I'll update it if needed.

http://bakahomepage..../Pirates/flags/ :pir-classic:

This is brilliant! You have done well sir! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have a couple of suggestions.. These are optional as you've already done plenty, but if you have a spare moment:

1. Beneath the generated flag, have a second flag which always has the Merchants emblem but with the inverse background of the selected flag. This way a comparison between the two will be immediately visible.
    However, I notice an inverse design has not been provided for the horizontal and vertical striped flags.
  2. When are poll goes live, please use the below banner linking to the thread.
    post-273-0-32316100-1406297679_thumb.jpg

White Orange White vertical striped flag:

post-273-0-03592800-1406298626_thumb.jpg

Thanks pirate_blush.gif

I've added the missing flags and changed the banner. I'll add a link to the voting thread when it's done.

You really want that the merchants and the guards have inversed flags background? That's note what I would have voted for pirate_classic.gif

I think we shouldn't automatically assume an inverted design for the merchant flag. Some people have stated a preference for non-inverted designs. And the last two flag backgrounds (vertical stripes and broad horizontal stripes) really don't work inverted.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention: The flag generator is great. Very cool!

Edited by Capt Wolf

You really want that the merchants and the guards have inversed flags background? That's note what I would have voted for pirate_classic.gif

That's what we've been discussing, if you have a different idea please share...

I think some people prefer using the same background design for both flags rather than inverted versions. That still limits the merchant background options to two per any given guard flag choice, but gives the non-inverted faction their say.

The vertical stripes is also one of my two favorite versions of the merchant flag. I'm torn between the saltires and the vertical stripes, but forcing the inverted designs in my opinion really kills the vertical stripes as a viable choice, unfortunately. That's part of the reason I'd prefer to see inversion voted on or presented as an option in some way, not as a fait accompli.

At the very least, can we use the same background, and not an inverted one, for the vertical and broad horizontal backgrounds?

Edited by Capt Wolf

But I implemented the inverted flags anyway. And the BBCode generator.

Good work again! Except you've got the crossed cannons instead of the Merchant's crossed anchors as the emblem.

That's part of the reason I'd prefer to see inversion voted on or presented as an option in some way, not as a fait accompli.

Maybe we need the ability to select the background for the Merchant's flag too, therefore add a second flag background column as it won't hurt to increase the layout's width to 1000px on desktop displays.

Then nobody is forced into choosing a set background for the Merchant's flag.

Although, it will be up to our chief developer to decide whether he wishes to implement that functionality.

But since he's in support of having different flag backgrounds rather than inverted, it would probably serve him well. pirate_laugh2.gif

It would be easier to have the generator generate one flag, and you use it two times... Like it was at the beginning pirate_satisfied.gif

It would be easier to have the generator generate one flag, and you use it two times... Like it was at the beginning pirate_satisfied.gif

Easier in terms of development, but the idea is to compare both flags side by side to ensure they compliment each other.

It would be rather tedious for people to copy and paste the shortcode from the web app into the post editor, preview their post, then repeat until they find a pair of flags they liked.

But you've done a fantastic job so I dare not ask anymore of you! But don't change anything just yet even if you want to do more - we still need to finalise voting.

Thanks Bob, the app looks and works great!

Mister Phes, how are we planning on implementing this as a vote? Are you going to open up a vote thread where everyone just posts images of their favorite pair? Or is the app just an opportunity to play around so people can then come click radio buttons like a regular poll (with options like [1-1|2-5], [1-2|2-5], etc)?

Mister Phes, how are we planning on implementing this as a vote? Are you going to open up a vote thread where everyone just posts images of their favorite pair? Or is the app just an opportunity to play around so people can then come click radio buttons like a regular poll (with options like [1-1|2-5], [1-2|2-5], etc)?

Ideally I'd like to open a voting thread in which everyone posts their favourite pair of images... However, I'm concerned there won't be sufficient voters given there's 32 combinations for the Haven Guard flag and 8 for the Merchants.

So there's a total of 256 different flag pairs while realistically we'll get about 50 voters (if we're lucky).

That's why I'd prefer to enforce the inverted background concept as it will restrict the number of voting options to 32. Even if we allow voters to choose three different pairs that's roughly a 3:5 ratio, I.e 150 votes to 256 options.

And the more bloody flag pairs they post, the more blooding counting we have to do!

What if you enforce the inverted background concept, but eliminate the white-orange-white designs for the vertical stripes and broad horizontal stripes, and treat the remaining orange-white-orange versions of those two backgrounds as the designated inverted form of each other (inverting direction of the stripes rather than the color order)? That gets you down to 24 voting options.

Another option could be to just limit this poll to the guard design and do the merchant flag as a separate poll after we know what the guard flag is.

Edited by Capt Wolf

Another option could be to just limit this poll to the guard design and do the merchant flag as a separate poll after we know what the guard flag is.

This may indeed be the simplest method but my concern is people are going to get sick of poll after poll.

Let's have a poll to determine if everyone has had enough of voting in polls! pir_laugh2.gif

Two flags, two polls. That's not too bad. (Now how do I work "to" into this?) pir_laugh2.gif

Two flags, two polls. That's not too bad. (Now how do I work "to" into this?) pir_laugh2.gif

What about "Two flags, two polls to vote in".

So I'll wait before editing the generator then...

Do you have any thoughts on the calculations in this post?

It's good to make the poll open as possible, but if it's too open we run the risk of not collecting useful data.

I'd say we should ask people to reply in a specific manner, like starting their posts with:

Guards: #2-8

Merchants: #1-5

People could then add the pictures of the flags or any comments.

I'd say we should ask people to reply in a specific manner, like starting their posts with:

Guards: #2-8

Merchants: #1-5

People could then add the pictures of the flags or any comments.

Yeah, that would be fine if we were going to get over 1,000 voters, but the reality is we'll get around 50 voters and there is 32 combinations for the Haven Guard flag and 8 for the Merchants.

So my concern is the data yielded for the Haven Guard will be too broad, each flag combination may only get 1 or 2 votes.

For example: if 20 different flag combinations receive 2 votes each then we'll have to find a method of narrowing down those 20 combinations. Might as well tightened up the poll to begin with.