jamesed_1971

A Lego 0 Gauge Scale LNER A3 Flying Scotsman Steam Locomotive

Since I was last active, I have enrolled in the 16mm Association of Narrow Gauge Models and with the next year will be build two models railways of which one will be a Lego model railway and a model Railway at 16 mm scale using SM32 track to represent 2ft narrow gauge track, while looking at Locomotives options as I still need to buy or build my 16mm scale locomotive, this gave me a idea, why not try to build a Lego 0 Gauge scale version of my LNER A3 Flying Scotsman Steam Locomotive which the design could be used to develop a 16mm scale locomotive using 32mm track to run on.

Over the last view days I started to mess in Ml cad and LDD 4 to see if a chassis which will be able to run on 0 Gauge track, the proof of concept design was finished in LDD 4 this morning at 10 AM UK time

The model when built will have a chassis frame 3 studs wide allow the locomotive wheels to be set a 32 mm Gauge to be able to run on 0 Gauge track, I also have worked out how to motorized the locomotive, the body I will build at 7 studs as this seems to a match for 0 Gauge Locomotive width.

14288969339_7cde0e4644_c.jpg

View of the new chassis frame with the gears set up allowing a easy way to motorize the locomotive.

14289157487_8256d33ed6_c.jpg

View of the new chassis frame showing the 3 stud wide frame and the distance between the frames and the trains wheels which need to be set like this to be able for the wheels to be set at 32 mm Gauge.

The next step is to build a physical model and do a test once the Peco 0 Gauge track which I have ordered from Ehattons arrives in the post.

I'm very interested in how this turns out; please keep us posted!

The 0 Gauge track arrived this morning in the post, built a test chassis and tested it to see if it would run, with the XL Motor fitted to the chassis with the IR sensor, I hooked it up to a the Lego Power Functions battery, it would hardly move even with the IR Controller up to maximum speed, the immediate gear next to the motor runs at normal speed,but the gear which the axle is attached to runs very slowly, so unless I can come up with another way of motorizing the Lego locomotive, I will have to abandon the whole project

But the width works? The fit with the wheels is good?

With how people have geared their home-made monorails, this surely must be possible. Certainly the worm gear is the problem... I'm sure you get a whole lot of torque, just no speed... and I think a piece like that in a train would wear out too quickly.

The XL is a slow running motor, the Emerald Night actually has to gear up so that the axles turn faster than the motor, and even then it is a bit slow. The arrangement you have is similar to a traditional model railway loco, which has a fast motor and needs the gear reduction a worm provides. You need a straight spur gear train, possibly geared to increase speed rather than reduce, that can bring the drive up high enough to be able to fit a pair of 1:1 bevel gears without fouling frame or wheels. You should then have the drive turned through 90 degrees somewhere where you need it to fit the XL motor

I might have to build it 8 studs wide and somehow figure the gearing, as I have built a chassis for a 16mm scale narrow gauge Locomotive which runs 32 mm track, the locomotive chassis is 11 inches long and 5 inches wide, the gearing for that train is the same as the Emerald Night and my Lego LNER Flying Scotsman Locomotive which is base on Emerald Night.

Edited by jamesed_1971